My63rag

6.5 evil to replace diamond HEX 6.5

So i bought some 6.5 evils to swap out mt HEX 6.5 components .. and was planning on changing out the evil tweets soon as they are available and was gonna use the HEX crossovers.  But was told on a different  forum that the evils won't be as good. And most likely wont work well with the hex xovers.. should i sell the evils and keep the hex?  Your thoughts are appreciated =D. Ty

What amp will you be using, what head unit are using? Willing to buy a dsp if neither head unit or amplifier aren't active capable?

But yes I wouldn't use evils on those crossovers but it doesn't mean sell them either. A mini dsp can be had for cheap and they are small to hide, will handle all your crossover needs for both evil mids and ssa tweeters.

Nice ride btw :droolcup: , start a build log if you don't mind.

Should I post my build pictures to the newb thread. Or the build log thread?

30 minutes ago, My63rag said:

Should I post my build pictures to the newb thread. Or the build log thread?

Build log section please.

Can grab the zapco with dap and it will solve your issues.  The HEX crossover is a weakpoint and definitely will not work with other drivers.

I had a dropped '59.  Miss my bug...and am definitely interested in the rest of the car!!

Ok. So I will worry about changing the front stage when SSA releases the tweeters.. and figure out which amp best suits the ssa mids n tweets.. it will be nice to get the crossovers out of my amp tray

20170307_170115.jpg

Love this install.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:26 PM, ///M5 said:

Can grab the zapco with dap and it will solve your issues.  The HEX crossover is a weakpoint and definitely will not work with other drivers.

I had a dropped '59.  Miss my bug...and am definitely interested in the rest of the car!!

Dap or dsp?

Ha, sorry.   DSP.  Stupid phone auto correct.

Ok. And i wont need any external xovers for the ssa mids and tweets?

External, internal, amp, headunit, processor....all the same in what they could possibly do.  Specific capability is of course related to each specific unit.  You reference wanting to buy Zapco.  The DC Ref series amplifiers have plenty of DSP to replace nearly any passive (assuming 1 channel per driver of course).  The disadvantage of this style crossover is you need a front end/PC or what not to control them.  ie, you aren't driving and making changes.  While doing what I just wrote at the same time isn't logical for your safety or others, being able to tinker as you think of what you want to tinker on is worth its weight in gold in the learning process.  Sure it is completely unnecessary, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be the best money you could have ever spent on car audio.  Learning is priceless though.  That all being said, I love those amps.  Could easily run them.  Will do what is needed.

I am a nut though.  I NEED control.  So much so my cure was to just repalce my headunit with a computer.  No need to bring one with and plug it in anymore :P

Yeah. Was just looking at them..Those amps are out of my price range and sound much  more advanced than my patience will tollerate. I just really wanted to run ssa mids and tweets.. but not sure what amp to get. Or crossovers to use. With them.. i definitely want my amps to match. Picking up this for my subs 

http://www.woofersetc.com/st-1650xm-ii-zapco-monoblock-1650w-rms-class-d-amplifier.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw5_vHBRCBtt2NqqCDjiESJABD5rCJegZVIcEhvZlcCWx6mPipmFPVpGBT9u63DL7b3mn86BoCbKbw_wcB

Someone said i could build xovers idk. Perhaps i should stick with the HEX components 

Get a mini dsp and you can run whatever amps you want.

Should be able to sell the Hex's to pay for the difference in amplifiers.  The DC Ref's will hold their value far better than any other modern Zap.

They got one under $250..  http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_15790_Zapco-DC200-2-DC-Reference-series-2-Channel-Car-Amplifier.html    but it only does 50 Watts at 4 Ohms. I don't suppose you don't suppose there's any way to get the SSA components to 2 ohms? Sorry for my ignorance. Car audio is a lot to learn

Edited by My63rag

22 minutes ago, My63rag said:

They got one under $250.. but it only does 50 Watts at 4 Ohms. I don't suppose you don't suppose there's any way to get the SSA components to 2 ohms? Sorry for my ignorance. Car audio is a lot to learn

You need 4 channels to run active...

Ignore the ohms on mids.  I always run 8 ohm mids.  The way you choose a sub/amp is way different than front stage.

So if i ignore the ohm on mids how do i get full power from the amp (the 2 ohm rating)

38 minutes ago, My63rag said:

So if i ignore the ohm on mids how do i get full power from the amp (the 2 ohm rating)

If your mids are 4 Ohms, you won't play at 2 ! It's unnecessary.

I was worried about the loos of power from going to a 4 Ohms set, to an 8 Ohms one, but it was a mistake : less power, but absolutely no loss in output, with the new speakers !

You're in good hands here, with M5.  :)  Just do what he says ! Get a mini dsp and a 4 channels amp. Keep the ssa mids, and your current tweeters until the SSA ones (I'm waiting for them too) come out. It's what I did in my car, and I love it !

The mini dsp is easy to use. I set the crossovers a few time,  and a few weeks later, I used the Time Alignment settings : it's amazing !!!

The zapco DC amps are just as easy as the minidsp.

Yeah you guys are a big help. And not bustin my nuts in the process. I appreciate  that. So what kind of watt range should I be looking for for this 4 channel amp ?