My63rag

6.5 evil to replace diamond HEX 6.5

The more headroom, the better.  100 or 150 watts per channel would be awesome.

If you're going the miniDSP route you can try the NVX amps from the SSA store.  They're 150 watts X 4 which will be plenty for Evil Mids and Tweets (when they come out).  I bought my NVX second hand and I'm waiting for the evil tweets to come out so I don't have experience with it yet, but it's gotten good reviews and it's priced well.  In addition NVX makes a 1200 watt mono amp- I know you wanted matching amps for ascetics.

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/nvx-jad800-4-amplifier.html

I run an Incriminator 3.4 : 4 x 65 w at 4 Ohms. But I have a pair of 8 Ohms mids on 2 channels, and a pair of tweets on the 2 other.

It's loud enough, but someday I will get a more powerful amp, like a 4 x 100 or 4 x 150. Even if I know it's not really necessary.

The SSA amps are coming soon...Take a look. I am lurking the 4 ch class D.

Probably another stupid question but. Would it be a bad idea to swap the tweeters out of my component set. Leaving the hex midbass and crossovers and just doing a tweeter swap?

Fundamentally for a crossover design to be worth a shit, it HAS to be designed based on measurements from the final install locations/box etc.  In other words, car audio sets are fuxored from the beginning as they use a generic crossover and allow you to change the mounting parameters of the raw drivers.  It is SUPER easy to make a crossover better than what they provide with any car audio set.

The crossover needs to take into account not only teeny differences in parameters but also the surroundings.  The HEX crossovers do neither.  Add to that you are now talking about swapping out a driver with a completely different impedance curve.  What this means is that your crossover points will be completely different and any tapering of the response of the driver that was put into the crossovers originally will be doing the opposite of what you want.

Nothing in the HEX set is worth saving.  Sell them as a set for the biggest return on the "investment" you have in them.  

Sorry, I know that was terse...but the crossovers you have suck and are designed for different drivers.  They are the LAST thing you want to re-use.  If my explanation wasn't clear, ask.

I got the hex set new in box for 100.. i like to tinker..and building  xovers for a set of evil mids n tweets sounda extremely gratifying.. Just not sure what materials id need and how to go about it .. 

On 08/05/2017 at 11:23 PM, My63rag said:

I got the hex set new in box for 100.. i like to tinker..and building  xovers for a set of evil mids n tweets sounda extremely gratifying.. Just not sure what materials id need and how to go about it .. 

Or just get an external dsp : no need to use anything else. But you'll need 4 channels of amplification. 

That is what I did, from M5 advice. ;)  

How many sets of components ( evil 6.5 in tweets )can I run off of a 4 channel amp and a mini DSP..

The amp is 100 x 4 at 4 Ohms

Edited by My63rag

On 23/05/2017 at 5:46 PM, My63rag said:

How many sets of components ( evil 6.5 in tweets )can I run off of a 4 channel amp and a mini DSP..

The amp is 100 x 4 at 4 Ohms

If you run components you don't need a DSP. And you can have as much sets you want !

If you run a DSP each speaker should be on its own channel : so 2 mids and 2 tweeters on your 4 ch amp, or mids on 2 channels and tweeters on the 2 others.

Depends on ohm load of speakers. You can run more 8 ohm drivers than you can 4 ohm drivers.

If i run a 80prs  can i run evil mids n tweets off a 4chan with no dsp or xovers 

Yes because your 80prs will take care of the dsp and xovers, put your amp on full range and use you headunits features.

The prs is a GREAT starter active dsp.  Graphic eq's are much easier to dial the tune in with and the crossover flexibility is great when using a tweeter/mid/sub.

Thats great. Im assuming i can only run "one" set of the mids n tweets tho

11 hours ago, My63rag said:

Thats great. Im assuming i can only run "one" set of the mids n tweets tho

As long as they are identical and processed/crossed identical you can run whatever your amp situation allows.

It would be really odd to run two tweeters as that is not where you need reinforcement.  Two mids perhaps.  If I were to do that, I'd personally add an analog LP to the second one such that it acts as midbass reinforcement and not mid.  That is where you will be lacking the most.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

As long as they are identical and processed/crossed identical you can run whatever your amp situation allows.

It would be really odd to run two tweeters as that is not where you need reinforcement.  Two mids perhaps.  If I were to do that, I'd personally add an analog LP to the second one such that it acts as midbass reinforcement and not mid.  That is where you will be lacking the most.

Great info. I think im gonna get this amp http://www.woofersetc.com/st-4x-p-zapco-4-channel-480w-rms-class-ab-amplifier.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwutXIBRDV7-SDvdiNsUoSJACIlTqlDxkaULKIFdgThoiwA3ulUcyWIbcgsE3hLwMK6J06zBoC3dXw_wcB

To match my amp for my icons. And sell the hex set.. and get ssa. Can i run 2 sets of mids and one set of tweets with that set up?  If i feel like i need more than one set of mids?  

1 hour ago, My63rag said:

Great info. I think im gonna get this amp http://www.woofersetc.com/st-4x-p-zapco-4-channel-480w-rms-class-ab-amplifier.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwutXIBRDV7-SDvdiNsUoSJACIlTqlDxkaULKIFdgThoiwA3ulUcyWIbcgsE3hLwMK6J06zBoC3dXw_wcB

To match my amp for my icons. And sell the hex set.. and get ssa. Can i run 2 sets of mids and one set of tweets with that set up?  If i feel like i need more than one set of mids?  

You can run active, so tweets on channels 1/2, and mids (all 4) on 3/4.  In an SSA vehicle, we have two pair of 4 ohm SSA Evil 65's off the rear two channels of the IC150.4 and a pair of tweets off the front two channels.  Works very well for a simple 2 way active front stage.

16 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

You can run active, so tweets on channels 1/2, and mids (all 4) on 3/4.  In an SSA vehicle, we have two pair of 4 ohm SSA Evil 65's off the rear two channels of the IC150.4 and a pair of tweets off the front two channels.  Works very well for a simple 2 way active front stage.

That's perfect. So here's my next question. If I'm running to mids on one side up front. Do they need to share the same air space. Or, if not sharing the same airspace I'm assuming they need identical airspace?

^^^^

So if im running 2 mids on one channel at 4ohm and the amp is 100watts at 4ohm. Does that mean there would be sharing 100 Watts.. do you think the amp listed above would be adequate for that situation. Sorry for my ignorance.. 

Amp specs. ....v..v..v

• 4 Channel Class A/B Amplifier
  • RMS Power Rating:
    • 4 Ohms: 100 Watts X 4 Chan.
    • 2 Ohms: 150 Watts X 4 Chan.
    • Bridged, 4 Ohms: 2 X 300 Watts
  • Signal-to-nose ratio: >90dB
  • THD + Noise < 0.5%
  • Channel Separation >60dB
  • 12dB HP/LP/Full Pass Crossover
  • RCA and Speaker Level Inputs
  • Variable bass boost control
  • Frequency Response 15Hz to 30KHz ±1dB
  • Input Sensitivity .25v to 5v
  • Compact chassis
  • Dimensions: 6.29"(W) X 11.8"(L) X 2"(H)

If you have a pair of 4 ohm SVC mids on the same channel, they will show the amplifier a 2 ohm load.  So according to the specs above, they will be sharing 150 watts @ 2ohms.  

I don't have experience with that series of Zapco, but it appears to have plenty of power.

Yes.  2 4ohm drivers in parallel equate to a 2ohm overall load.  Will split the power at 2ohms then.

As for where/how and such they are going to be...a picture is worth a thousand words and may help us give you further insight.