My63rag

Adding second icon amp upgrade question

So I'm currently running one 2ohm 12 inch icon on a 1200 watt Cadence amp at 1 ohm.. in 2.4 cubes tuned at 29..  it sounds very good. But I want louder more spl.. as much as I can cram in the back of the bug without losing my backseat.... was initially going to move to a 15" X or zcon. Somebody here said my best bet would be to add a 2nd icon 12.. so that's my plan. I think I can squeeze 4.5 to5 cubes and was thinking 34-35 Hertz..  I definitely want to get a better quality amp even though I've had zero issues with the Cadence. It doesn't even get hot.. but I'm pretty set on the zapco St series amps.   My question is how many watts should I give the icons. Without straining my electrical too much. Currently with the 1200 watts I have absolutely no dimming even with my brights on and bass hitting at maxx..they have a 1350 Watt a 1650 Watt. And a 2000 Watt....  keep in mind. This car is not a daily driver, just mostly for an occasional trip to work, car shows and hot rodding around town like an arseho a bit on the weekends. But I'm thinking 2000 Watts plus a couple hundred for my components is going to be too hard on my electrical. Will 1350 Watts be enough between two subs.. should I go for the 1650 ? I hope this isn't a stupid question

Can you add a second battery and get the 2000 watt amp?

46 minutes ago, SS Teacher said:

Can you add a second battery and get the 2000 watt amp?

2000 watts should be nice. 

Upgrade your battery, and add a big one in the trunk.

New SSA amps are coming soon, their 2200 w one looks good. If you could wait until they're out...

I have 2 group 78  800cca.  110-115 reserve capacity each...Unfortunately  a 95 amp  is the biggest alternator anyone makes for a aircooled vw.. the only positive side to an old bug is theres almost  no electrical draw to the car other than the head and tail lights ..but at 1200 watts on the sub and another 250 on the components im seeing no dimming evin with the headlights on and bass cranked for 30+ mins.. and    i rarely drive the car at night. 

Personally, if I had to run class D, i would rather have 2 smaller amplifiers (one per sub) verses one larger amplifier. 

Just me.

38 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Personally, if I had to run class D, i would rather have 2 smaller amplifiers (one per sub) verses one larger amplifier. 

Just me.

Why is that?

Curious as well...I would do the opposite.

D is your friend in that bug, as you found out electrical is a bitch otherwise.

8 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

Why is that?

Double the power supply strength makes for better output (dynamics) with about the same current draw.

Also, if you decide to compete, this will keep you in lower classes for better chances on improvement. 

Like I said, just me. 

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Curious as well...I would do the opposite.

D is your friend in that bug, as you found out electrical is a bitch otherwise.

So if he's running at one ohm now and drops to .5, even with a larger amplifier, he's going to be stressing his electrical. 

Correct ??? Running two smaller amplifiers, he can stay at one ohm and still have more than enough power for two drivers. 

Just a thought. 

wiring for two 2ohm subs, your options are .5ohm, 2 ohm or 8 ohm. (Unless you go the amp each sub route, but not necessary)

I think youd do well wiring for 2ohm, you can find a good class D amp (I have a Hifonics amp I used at 2ohm @ 1400rms). I doubt youd notice a difference between 1000rms a sub vs 700 rms a sub plus will be easier on your electrical.

Edited by crackinhedz

15 minutes ago, crackinhedz said:

wiring for two 2ohm subs, your options are .5ohm, 2 ohm or 8 ohm. (Unless you go the amp each sub route, but not necessary)

I think youd do well wiring for 2ohm, you can find a good class D amp (I have a Hifonics amp I used at 2ohm @ 1400rms). I doubt youd notice a difference between 1000rms a sub vs 700 rms a sub plus will be easier on your electrical.

He has a dual 2 ohm sub wired down so the amp sees one ohm. Am I reading the Op's post correctly guys ???

You can wire a single dual 2ohm sub into either 1ohm or 4ohm

two dual 2ohm subs can wire to .5ohm, 2ohm or 8ohm

Edited by crackinhedz

4 minutes ago, crackinhedz said:

You can wire a single dual 2ohm sub into either 1ohm or 4ohm

two dual 2ohm subs can wire to .5ohm, 2ohm or 8ohm

I know this. Just making sure I was reading the Op correctly. Thanks

This is my current setup. I'm also planning on doubling the size of that box . Replacing both these amps . For the zapco amps .  One for my Subs one for my components . I've got no room for three amps 20170307_170115.thumb.jpg.0f15e25c2bbb6f30a82a100e91ed07c1.jpg

15 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

Double the power supply strength makes for better output (dynamics) with about the same current draw.

You will hear absolutely no gain.  Zero.  Nottta.

For the OP it makes sense to do if he sticks with the impedance of subs he has, but not for any acoustic benefit.

I orders my sub last night. Im sure I still have time to change the impedance before they build it. And i need to recone my current sub. I can change to a 1 ohm if need be?  And get the full 2000 watts fron the amp?    Sorry for my ignorance.. its my first real build. 

Edited by My63rag

If you have to rebuild your current icon then yes going to 2 dual 1ohm subs will allow you to end with 1ohm impedance and will not be as harsh on electrical as half ohm would be. I believe what Randall was getting at is that you would be better running 2 suba at 1 ohm eaxh versus you trying to run the amp at half ohm which would cause the amp to pull more because your forcing it to work under nominal inpedance. Now if you have a good sub and dont have to recone then yes i would stick with the d2 subs and just wire at 2 ohm and run that zapco get your power out of it and make the subs move. 

I have a good sub. But it's the old style with the inverted cone. And the new sub of course does not. Not to mention. I would like to have to  Fresh Subs..So it's getting rebuilt either way. So I still have the option for 1 ohm or 2 ohm subs. 

1400rms @ 2ohm vs 2000rms @ 1ohm, would be splitting hairs.

Not to mention the amp would run more efficient at 2ohm, with less chance of any [more] strain on your electrical. You gain the extra 12" cone surface, while not risking electrical. 

Thats my $.02