Sign in to follow this  
bigrank916

How big of an alternator do I need?

Hey fellas I've been researching this and would love some input. It's a 2002 Mercedes C230K 2.3L with one stock H-8 type batt under the hood and soon to be an XS Power XP3000 in the back. Wasn't able to find anything XS made for under the hood but if I could find one or another of similar quality, I'd go for it. Otherwise it's a stock batt but it is brand new. I'd like to use the Synergy Audio 35.1D as well as 1-2 more amps for the front stage. Call it 4k watts total guesstimate.

Now looking at conversion tables, 4k watts is a 278 amp draw in a 14.4 voltage system. No, I don't believe I would be pulling that much power continually but more of a ceiling. I'm not sure if this is correct but in that case I don't think I'll ever find a single HO alt to cover this type of power. Add to it the power needed to run the car at its highest peak usage is prob around 100-120 amps or so? The replacement alts for my car range from 140-160 amps so I'm assuming they will leave a lil room but cant imagine them overshooting the draw by 50-60 amps. Or is that in anticipation of aftermarket current draw?? So in total that would be around a 400 amp draw at peak power consumption. Umm, fuck. Even then on a more conservative side we could say 300 amps since its a more realistic power draw than full tilt. 300 amps at idle?? Only one company said they could build one and that was Ohio. 200amp 225 peak but still hasn't told me the output at idle...I've asked twice now. I'm in the process of gathering info and will be calling DC Power today. Mechman already said he doesn't make one for my car and that's a bummer cause he was the only HO alt I've purchased before and the thing worked awesome on my old truck. I'm waiting for a response from Singer and thot to not even bother with Excessive Amperage or Iraggi. Definitely NOT Iraggi lol. Anyone I'm forgetting??

Oh and also from what I've been reading, I'd like this to be a 6 phase hairpin style. I mean I'll take what works but ideally that.

Srcatch out DC Power. Called them and Anthony told me they don't make anything for it. Mainly because its a Bosche and the parts aren't very accessible. He said the best route I could hope for is getting the stock one rewound but will run into prob with high output at idle. Even then it could be around $200-300 for that. He also mentioned that i should pray with this option lol. Looks like I don't have many options here besides building a large batt bank? Obviously I can't use the amount of power I would like to so it seems more fitting of a 2k-2.5k watt total system but even then its still around 139-173 amp draw.

no problem at all man

Ill let you know after this weekend what my voltage looks like. Im running a synergy 35.1 for the sub and on crap electrical it did fine (2000 jeep cherokee sport) now ive rewired. Put in a voltage gauge. 2 runs of 2/0 to the rear. Mechman 240 and my northstar agm 220 is going in saturday. Ill be running at .5 until i can decide on a new sub so ill be using my buddys ascendant team 18 untill then. Havnt seen what itll look like on the fresh rebuild but the synergy amps are awesome. Also have a 150.4 for the highs i picked up from ssa that has yet to go in.

Ok back in and playing. 1/2 0hm didnt see below 12.2 at idle on 1 240 mechman and 1 northstar 220. I know the jeep is a far cry from the merc but im quite pleased with synergy audio. Hope it helps

Ive seen lithium builds in person running 10k with stock alt and dont see below 12.3 full tilt at idle.