BiggJern

2 8s or 1 10?

Ok so now that I'm starting over I need to starting planning. Trying to have great output, great SQ, and minimal space used. I have a Sundown 1500 watt amp and am planning on using that. Not exactly looking for the end-all setup but just basically looking for pros & cons for 2 8s vs. 1 10 and what subs would fit this criteria. OH! And my music preferences are all over: I'll be listening to so bass heavy songs one day then I'll be listening to some 70s bands the next day. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

10" SSA Icon or XCon? :D I'm not biased or anything, but seriously, first subs to come to mind. :)

Depends on the box.  What space are you working with?

39 minutes ago, jones82joshua said:

10" SSA Icon or XCon? :D I'm not biased or anything, but seriously, first subs to come to mind. :)

I was thinking an Icon also lol

33 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Depends on the box.  What space are you working with?

Well, to be honest It's hard to get exact measurements because my old box from my old system is occupying my trunk until I can find a spot for it (or a buyer). But I'm guessing that I can work with 3 cubes (gross) or less

3 cu ft just for the box ? That's enough room to run bigger sub(s).

I love my XCON 10"!

36 minutes ago, Notorious97200 said:

Indeed, I'd measure first to be sure.  Dual 10's or a single 12 is a better choice...

12 hours ago, BiggJern said:

Trying to have great output, great SQ, and minimal space used.

Hoffmans iron law is going to force you to give up a little bit of one of those goals.

The SSA ICON is definitely at the top of the list for recommendations, it's a proven solid performer for the goals you stated.   Measurements are going to be key before any real serious suggestions will be relavent though. Hopefully maybe you can measure the current enclosure which would get things in the ballpark at least. 

On 5/5/2017 at 7:43 AM, Notorious97200 said:

I mean cu ft. gross lol. A 12 in a good box might run me more than that

On 5/5/2017 at 9:11 AM, altoncustomtech said:

Hoffmans iron law is going to force you to give up a little bit of one of those goals.

The SSA ICON is definitely at the top of the list for recommendations, it's a proven solid performer for the goals you stated.   Measurements are going to be key before any real serious suggestions will be relavent though. Hopefully maybe you can measure the current enclosure which would get things in the ballpark at least. 

Oh, I didn't mean literal lol. Just a general idea of what I was wanting.

My old box is finally gone so I'm gonna measure here soon to get an idea of what I can work with, finally.

9 hours ago, BiggJern said:

I mean cu ft. gross lol. A 12 in a good box might run me more than that

A 12" sub should work with that space. You don't need 3 cu ft net for it, maybe 1.5 to 2 ?

Check the box recommendation on the SSA sub forum. Everything is listed. You can find cut sheets for a good box there.

I think we're all talking about two different things lol. I meant the entire box itself; not the internal volume of the box because I know a 12" sub normally needs on average 2 cubes of internal space but I meant the whole box itself being less than 3 cubes. But I more or less need to just measure the space I want to go with in my trunk because I might not need as small as I think

Net = airspace in the box after adjusting for the port and the sub (and anything else you put in it)

Gross = airspace IN THE BOX without adjusting for the port or sub

If you are referring to External Overall Dimension Volume that is something else.

Knowing your exact space before shopping for subs is paramount.

7 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Net = airspace in the box after adjusting for the port and the sub (and anything else you put in it)

Gross = airspace IN THE BOX without adjusting for the port or sub

If you are referring to External Overall Dimension Volume that is something else.

Knowing your exact space before shopping for subs is paramount.

Huh..... always thought gross was total space of the entire box, but yes I meant the external overall dimension volume. Now, I may have enough for a 12" sub but I have to measure it to see

Ok, Finally got some measurements. I got 35" x 19" x 14".......... Huh...... I guess I can fit a 12 with this lol