Sign in to follow this  
My63rag

Da new box...hmmm?

Okay so here are my plans new enclosure for my rebuild. Below is a picture of the single icon 12 I currently have and it's enclosure which is 14x14x34... 2.4 cubic feet. , tunned  at 29.5..

I plan on adding a second 12.  And building a Aero ported enclosure ..and the  box specs also shown in the link below..  

View Album, http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/jjzickowski1/library/box

Now that box volume and tuning is what "I think" is ideal.... based on my desire to get louder and more SPL... but I am often wrong..this will be my first tunned enclosure build. So I have a few questions. Does anybody see anything that looks like a bad idea.?  Those are the maximum Dimensions that I can cram in the back of that car  without losing a functional back seat. And also do not  include  the extra 3/4 of extra baffle on the top.. or any volume displacements that I will lose Inside the Box for bracing.

the box is still bigger than I'd like.So let's say I was to lose 1 cubic foot of net volume.. how much will that affect the sound... I hope what I just wrote made sense lol

Edited by My63rag

If those are your absolute maximum dimensions then that's the best you're going to do. It's not bad, net volume is good but the port area is a bit on the low side and the tuning is probably a tad higher than you really want. The problem is that any attempt to lower the tuning or increase port area is going to reduce the net volume and by the time you get the port and tuning right you'll be low on the air space.

You might be better off with a sealed enclosure simply because you're very likely to have audible port noise with that enclosure. If you don't mind building multiple enclosures and testing you could go ahead and build it and see if you can live with the compromises or not. If not just sell that enclosure and build a sealed. 

That will be louder and have more SPL.  Shrinking won't help...

1 hour ago, altoncustomtech said:

If those are your absolute maximum dimensions then that's the best you're going to do. It's not bad, net volume is good but the port area is a bit on the low side and the tuning is probably a tad higher than you really want. The problem is that any attempt to lower the tuning or increase port area is going to reduce the net volume and by the time you get the port and tuning right you'll be low on the air space.

You might be better off with a sealed enclosure simply because you're very likely to have audible port noise with that enclosure. If you don't mind building multiple enclosures and testing you could go ahead and build it and see if you can live with the compromises or not. If not just sell that enclosure and build a sealed. 

Ok i uploaded a new size. I think i can fit that im there. More port area thoughts