leon

Which 12" Subwoofer / What direction to fire sub?

Hello all,

A few years back my subwoofer and head unit was stolen so I've been out of the bass game for some time. Luckily, my amps were left behind as they were in the false floor in my Xterra. Am looking to get a new head unit and subwoofer/box. I currently am using an Alpine MRD M1005 amp and want to wire at 2ohms to deliver 1k watts rms.

I am looking for something that slams hard and clean, and I listen mostly to hip hop/rap/rock/alt rock type of music. I am also open to building a ported or sealed box - although I may prefer sealed for ease of construction and to save space in my Xterra. If I go ported - I am not sure which direction to fire the sub as I've seen sub up/port back and sub/port aimed to the back for trucks like mine with the big open space in the back. My old box was sub/port aimed toward the back and it worked well before it was stolen.

I am looking at the following subwoofers and would appreciate your thoughts:

• RE AUDIO SEX12D4 ($177 sale on Amazon)
  • Sundown SA-12 D4 REV.3 ($215 but B-Stock has it for $175)
  • IDQ12 V.4 ($225)
  • Crescendo Audio FORTE 12" ($240)
  • SSA GCON 12" ($249) - only including this because heard great things about it

You can see my budget is in the $180-250 range. I've heard great things about Sundown/IDQ/SSA series but heard that IDQ is also great either ported/sealed, so I may lean that way if I ever want to change the box up in the future. Thoughts and advice (and other recommendations?) would be appreciated.

Iv usually liked how it sounds with sub up and port back in suv's . But in sure it wouldnt be much different with sub and port back . . .

I would personally go with the gcon

2 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Iv usually liked how it sounds with sub up and port back in suv's . But in sure it wouldnt be much different with sub and port back . . .

I would personally go with the gcon

I'm leaning toward GCON as well as I've heard they run great sealed, which will save me some room in the back. Seems they're not in stock yet so hopefully can place an order soon.

The only woofer on your list I'd own is the Gcon.  The IDQ is horribly overpriced and hyped.  The others are just nothing special either.  I realize this is an SSA forum, but comparing that list bang for your buck the Gcon is way ahead.

A single 12 in a big car, you'd better run it ported  ;) 

If you want to play with box placement, try sub and port on the same side and have fun !

23 minutes ago, Notorious97200 said:

A single 12 in a big car, you'd better run it ported  ;) 

If you want to play with box placement, try sub and port on the same side and have fun !

Should I look at running a 15" sealed? I do use the cargo space in my truck a lot, so I need the extra room.

Also GCON is out of stock at the moment. I most likely will wait until they are back (am not in a rush...yet lol) but heard great things about Fi SSD. Is that a good alternative?

I was also recommended the IA Lethal Injection by Aaron at SSA in lieu of the GCON. Any experience with that sub sealed?

Seems I can wire a dual 1ohm subwoofer (Fi SSD) to my amp to get a 2 ohm 1000rms load - is this correct?

Edited by leon

14 hours ago, leon said:

Also GCON is out of stock at the moment. I most likely will wait until they are back (am not in a rush...yet lol) but heard great things about Fi SSD. Is that a good alternative?

I was also recommended the IA Lethal Injection by Aaron at SSA in lieu of the GCON. Any experience with that sub sealed?

Seems I can wire a dual 1ohm subwoofer (Fi SSD) to my amp to get a 2 ohm 1000rms load - is this correct?

I had a set of Lethal Injection 12's a few years back, but were ran in a smallish ported enclosure (3.6 cubes @ 37) - I listen to mostly rock/metal. Nothing bad to say about them. Just before I parted with them I put them on a BC3500 @ 1 ohm and they took it like a champ.

But I vote GCon as well.

Yes, a dual 1 ohm sub can be wired in series to present a 2 ohm final load to your amplifier.

DVC_Series_1.png?1314416080

On 11/05/2017 at 8:48 AM, leon said:

Should I look at running a 15" sealed? I do use the cargo space in my truck a lot, so I need the extra room.

Why not ?

A little more cash, and you can get a brand new Icon, or maybe a used one ?