Sign in to follow this  
gadawg31

Help with 2008 F250 subwoofer wiring

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get some resolve here.  I have been searching all forums and websites for wiring diagrams and color codes and information on switching from a stock 8" factory sub/amp to an aftermarket amp/sub.  My hope is to upgrade from the small factory amp and 8" sub to possibly one 12 or two 10s.  My first journey started with trying to find out what each color wire going into the factory subbox meant and then I started getting all the advice of what I had to use.  I have had a lot of people tell me that I can only use a certain size amp with certain size ohms and other information.  I am not a stereo technician, but I am mechanically inclined.  Is there a specific size amp I can run off of the factory wires or will I need to re-wire everything?  Can I upgrade to a couple of 10s, still using the factory head unit.  It is my sons truck and his funds are very tight and dad does not want to fork out a lot of money if I don't have to.  With that being said, I would like for him to have a decent sounding stereo.  If I know what I need to buy and which wires go where, I can do it.  Any of your audio gurus out there willing to help me out with some info?  Anything is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to SSA.

Have you checked any of the Ford F250 forums on the interwebs ?? If anything, great suggestions on wiring diagrams.

I have had great luck with the Ford F150 forums. Good luck with your search !!!

I am members of three different superduty forums and no luck.  F150 forums will not work, as they have different sound systems in most cases I found.  I thought I would try an actual audio forum, since this should be an area for an actual subject matter expert.  I'll keep looking and hoping that someone will have some info or experience with this.

The real question is what signal is going to the stock amps.  Most are highly doctored signals to deal with the fact they are using cheap OEM amplifiers and drivers.  If this is the case you really can't just use the stock wiring and swap anything out.  Could be even worse if it is using a CAN bus to the amp in that case there is no signal you have that you can use.

As a first test you could pull the wires off the sub and send a bunch of test signals through the sub.  If they all have the same amplitude you would at least then have a high level signal you could put into a LOC to add an amplifier and sub/s.  

Since you are budget constrained it would be good to understand what the budget might be as it could greatly change what you could do.

///M5, this is the main problem.  I did not understand a single thing you said.  I am not sure how to even start sending signals thru the sub.  I do understand about signal traveling thru the stock wires, but that is one of my many issues.  I don't even  what each wire color is for, so I wouldn't know which one is the speaker wire, which one is power, ect...  I guess I am trying to see if I am going to be able to use any of the existing wires from my stock head unit.  Next, my budget is around $600 as I am only wanting to upgrade my amp and sub.  Like you stated, I am not sure if I can use my existing wires to hook up a new amp and sub.  This is what I am trying to determine.  Thanks.

Are you building or buying a box?

Then you are budget strapped.  No real solution that will be feasible, a worthwhile improvement for $600.

///M5  How is this a response to my OP?  I am simply asking for someone that actually knows what each wire is and their color coding and then I can go from there.  What does buying a box or building a box have anything to do with my original question.  I simply need to know about the wires and if a aftermarket amp and sub can be hooked up via original wires.

haynes manual should have the wire scheme in the back of the book if you are trying to trace color

Jay-C76, tried that already.  I have a service manual and I have been able to figure out a couple of the wires, but what I am running into now is getting an expert to help me understand if the current amp power wire and constant power wire can be used for an aftermarket amp.  The manual states the current amp is a 1 channel, 4ohm amp, but I am not audio savy so this is really greek to me.  I was also told on one of the Superduty forums that I may have to re-run all new wire for power and constant, but I may be able to use the existing speaker wires to the new amp.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, gadawg31 said:

///M5  How is this a response to my OP?  I am simply asking for someone that actually knows what each wire is and their color coding and then I can go from there.  What does buying a box or building a box have anything to do with my original question.  I simply need to know about the wires and if a aftermarket amp and sub can be hooked up via original wires.

It isn't, but your goals and reality don't match.  Stock wires won't support much if any amount of upgrade.  If you can't find details on the processing a ton of your budget will be chewed up by removing the electronic nonsense Ford included, then add the box and your budget is gone wiithout discussing the amplifier or sub.  Just meant to be a reality check.

"Stock wires won't support much if any amount of upgrade."  This was the first piece of info worth while that you gave me.  Other than that, everything else has been a waste.  I understand budget, but if my original question is never answered then budget makes no difference.  I have everything I need from this conversation.  Time I will never get back.

Dude, we're just trying to help. Ain't got to be such a tool. 

In almost every upgrade application, you will need to run power cables and fusing for aftermarket Amplifier application. 

Btw, I knew that the F150 forum wouldn't be what you was needing (I drive a F150 supercrew) but wording it on the fly must not have came out as intended. My bad. 

Again, good luck with your search.

Edited by Randal Johnson

16 hours ago, gadawg31 said:

Jay-C76, tried that already.  I have a service manual and I have been able to figure out a couple of the wires, but what I am running into now is getting an expert to help me understand if the current amp power wire and constant power wire can be used for an aftermarket amp.  The manual states the current amp is a 1 channel, 4ohm amp, but I am not audio savy so this is really greek to me.  I was also told on one of the Superduty forums that I may have to re-run all new wire for power and constant, but I may be able to use the existing speaker wires to the new amp.  Thanks.

Your power wire will be the constant...

Ground will be grounded...

The swiched power or remote wire will be from the head unit and is typically blue or blue/white stripe (aftermarket) or labeled as an accessory (acc) switchable wire commonly traced on a diagram to either another piece of equipment or a switch.

Simple answer, no it would now be wise to splice in an aftermarket amp to run off the factory wire harness.

Mechanically inclined was used loosely in responses by the reactions you gave to people trying to help.....

A simple answer for you would be measure/check the gauge/size of the power wire to the factory amp.  From this you can denote the largest aftermarket amp you can run without swapping/replacing wires. 

That would limit you to whatever size power wire is factory.  The other direction to go about it would be to pick the aftermarket amp and then match the wire accordingly,  which is what most the guys here would do. :)

It has been a while but here goes. First which radio is in the vehicle? That is, does it have Sync, Nav, THX? Removing the radio and checking to see if it has two, three or four connectors in the back would be a big help. While you're at it give the model number of the radio. It tells a lot about which system is in use. Also is the factory sub amp mounted on the sub box? Does it have one or two connectors?You can't run squat off the original power line to the factory amp, it is only 12 gauge. If you are operating on a very small budget Kicker offers a replacement that I have read improves the factory system.  Need more info and a budget.

Edited by fishmonger

People are making this way more complicated than it has to be. No, it is not a good idea to use the power wire from the stock amp. For a small upgrade you can run a new 8ga. power wire with fuse, this is not very expensive. Sonicelectronix has 8ga. kits starting at $10.99

For signal simply use a line out converter to convert the factory amplifier's speaker outputs (purple/green+  green/white-) to RCA level, also inexpensive. Sonicelectronicx has these starting around $9. Another option that may save even more money is to choose an amplifier with speaker level inputs. 

So with a budget of $600 this leaves you $580 for an amp, sub box and sub(s). Many people here assume everyone wants audio on the extreme high end, if you are just looking to increase the bass output from an otherwise factory system you can absolutely do that. It's not going to shake the mirrors off the truck but will be better than what you have now.