leon

Component possibly dead? Need replacement

Hello all,

I installed my Pioneer MVH-X690BS head unit last night and it powers up fine, however my Image Dynamics CTX65CS in the front doors are not working. I checked the amps and they seem to be working properly.

I have an appointment with a local audio shop tomorrow to help me with the big three install (I can't reach the alternator on my Xterra, what a pain in the ass) and I will ask them to trouble-shoot my components while I am at it.

However, I have a feeling I may need to replace the components. I have a Sundown 100.2 amp that does 100x2 @ 4ohms and 200x2 @ 2ohms. I am interested in the RE XXX 6.5C as that is one of the few 2 ohms components I've found so far and would like to push ~200rms if possible.

Any other recommendations for 2ohm components? I am looking for components that can get low and loud. I am also curious how to wire the 100.2 amp to get a 2ohm load. I've seen on other forums that it is done automatically by the amp which I've found weird - is this true?

Edited by leon

If you have 2 Ohms speakers, your amplifier will see that impedance, no need to have a "special wiring" !

2 x 100 is plenty for front speakers, you don't need to run 200 w to sound good and be loud.

Good luck with your current comp set. I hope it's still working.

1 minute ago, Notorious97200 said:

If you have 2 Ohms speakers, your amplifier will see that impedance, no need to have a "special wiring" !

2 x 100 is plenty for front speakers, you don't need to run 200 w to sound good and be loud.

Good luck with your current comp set. I hope it's still working.

thanks man, i hope they still work so I save money haha! I haven't used the components for several years since my old head unit was stolen so honestly not sure what the issue could be.

2ohm components on the same amp at 2ohms won't be louder than the 4ohm versions on the same amp at 4ohms.  Most likely they will sound worse too.

More clearly said, 2ohm components are marketing nonsense and should be avoided pretty much at all costs.

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

2ohm components on the same amp at 2ohms won't be louder than the 4ohm versions on the same amp at 4ohms.  Most likely they will sound worse too.

More clearly said, 2ohm components are marketing nonsense and should be avoided pretty much at all costs.

Thanks for the heads up! Just to clarify - based on your comments, I shouldn't be considering the RE XXX-6.5C? Are there any recommendations for 6.5 components that would give me that solid mid-bass? My budget is around $200ish, and I found the XXX-6.5C for about $230.

I am definitely not a fan of the RE's...but I am also not much of a component guy as I either run active or build my own passives.  I wanted to respond though since midbass is much more of a function of install than drivers.  Sure you need to start with something reasonable, but the install makes a way bigger difference.

Others may have insight into budget components, personally I'd like to hear what I was going to buy...