Kryptonite

This one's for the box builders

Hey guys, I have a question about box construction. I've been building boxes for a while. I always use MDF, but will use Baltic Birch one of these days. I have always heard that glue is stronger than screws as long as it is a nice tight joint and glued properly. I have always used glue and screws for strength but have seen a lot of guys use glue and pin nails. I have only built one box using glue only but it was for a single 8" driver. Any guys have experience doing this method? I don't want to waste extra time pre-drilling and using screws if I don't have to, not looking for short cuts, just trying to save some time. I have a box that I am going to reuse but need to beef it up for my new subs, it will house two Xcon 15's and the subs will be hooked up to a 4500 watt amp. Thanks in advance for any input. 

Thanks, I am going to just use glue and nails. I am going to add mitered pieces to the inside corners to make them stronger, more surface area for the glue.  I also keep the pieces clamped until the glue has completely dried. I will post pics when the box is finished. 

I used glue and screws for a while, and switch to nails and glue, and have no issues, besides it's less work.

I'v built a few thousand enclosures over the last ( almost 30 years ) and I have tested them with air pressure and a sledge hammer to make Shure my product is as close to indestructible as possible

the enclosures that I used only glue and Brad nails can be hammered apart panel by panel with laminate layer damage on all seams but the enclosures that were screwed as well had to be hammered into a pile of scrap to come apart and they don't blow apart at the seams with 120psi of positive pressure inside

you can call my testing overkill but it proves that screws increase the strength of an enclosure by a long shot 

This is why all my enclosures  were sold with a LIFETIME warranty against coming apart at the seams under normal use conditions

If you use nails, they aren't an excuse to not clamp.  Maximizing the strength of the glue joint is the goal.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

If you use nails, they aren't an excuse to not clamp.  Maximizing the strength of the glue joint is the goal.

+1 to this.  
Nails provide almost no clamping pressure, they just keep stuff from sliding around.  

Screw provide good clamping pressure, but they take a LOT more time.  I only use them when I can't clamp a piece properly, and then I usually use pocket screws.  

A person can NEVER own too many clamps.

59808f90ecdbd_2016-05-0215_56_02.jpg.99ccbd3ff463fc7f227a213167f92d44.jpg

Edited by Triticum Agricolam