yayo86

Recommended subs for old school mini truck

Whats up guys & girls i'm new to this forum & need your help on subs. I build a sealed enlosure that was suppose to be for 15s & it's about 2.85 cu ft per chamber before displacement for my 90 b2200 cab plus mini truck, Online dealers recommend 12" subs for that size enclosure. So I installed some old school Earthquake 12" subs & don't sound right, So swapped them out for some of the newer Alpine type R subs and still don't sound good. My enclosure looks more for 15's not 12s. The mono amp I'm using is Cadence Zrs C1 which is only good for 1 ohm load. 

1.thumb.jpg.a4dac98700220b54bffd5116c9eac401.jpg2.thumb.jpg.0679dd1e8a33d1c5074644ba54d8db48.jpgsub.thumb.jpg.637ce32bc6fdabe55a9203b64638ca4f.jpgtruck.thumb.png.86d058ef008fc2d36e3f1f49b298ca6d.png

Edited by yayo86

2.85cuft each looks way too big for a sealed enclosure for those drivers. Idk about the earthquake but a single 10" type R is about 1cuft sealed for Alpines recommendations. I'd start with building new enclosures before spending more money on new subs.

Why can't you put the enclosure in the bed ?? Bed dancer setup ???

Miss those mini truck days !!!

The SSA Icons call for 2.5 cu ft each sealed, plus displace .19 cu ft. You could add a few braces and would be peeerfect. Otherwise the Xcons call for 2.75 each and displace .20. I have a pair of the Icon 15"s in a sealed box and love them. I put 5 pounds of poly-fil in the box, is the only other suggestion.

I agree with bigrank, I would build a new enclosure before buying new subs. A bad enclosure can make really good subs sound bad. 

Yes @Randal Johnson im planning to get z rack for the bed thats why I installed the enclosure in the cab, my first plan was 6 15s in bed but was going to be too much weight for the z rack.

Yes @j-roadtatts I told ssa that there chart recommends 2.5 to 2.75 for 15s depending on models but they still recommended 12s & told that box was sealed not ported.

@Kryptonite @bigrank916 the enclosure was built for 15s, i called e-mailed called around & everyone said the box was small for 15s & 12s are good but to me it looks too big for sealed 12s.

I used to have 15" earthquakes back in the mid 90's, they totally sounded like dookie in a sealed enclosure. It wasn't until I went ported with the enclosure that I had a major improvement. It was like I put new subs in.

I would suggest modeling the subs for yourself, then you know personally what your getting into. Much smarter that just swapping and buying subs.  Winisd is a great program for such modeling.

Not sure whom you spoke with from SSA, but Aaron Clinton will set them straight. LoL He is also who I would suggest PM'ing if you have questions about their products, as he had a big hand in designing them.

I had an Xcon 15" in a 3 cu ft sealed box. It was nice. The sound was really good, and I had a lot of output too !

I wouldn't use it in a smaller sealed box. ;) 

If you already have subs, it would be much cheaper to work on a new custom box, for them.

Maybe you could just port your current box for your 12s, with some 4" PVC pipes. Ask some good designers here.

Ill probably install the subs on my 4runner & buy a set 15s for the mazda. Not sure what brand to go with theres soo many out there, want to stay sealed but if i have to i could probably drill some holes on box for aeroport.

Why do you want to stay sealed ?

Ported box can sound really good, if you know what you're doing.

I always feel like going sealed is a waste of bass :)  :)  You loose the bass trapped in the box !

Honnestly sealed enclosures are easier to run, and sound good easily.

It's up to you.