Travis

New sub is here! DC level 6 18!

Im in shock of the sheer size of this thing. The weight and magnet are almost comical. Really wish posting pics was easier. 

Ok sub is in but something doesnt seem right. Gets stinky very fast. Like within a minute. Checked the coils when it showed up. One was at a 1.7 and the other was 1.5. Was supposed to be dual 1. But i realize they sit higher on a new sub. Going to pull it and check everything. But cant do it alone too damn heavy. I know the box is too big but any suggestions? If anything else im calling dc tomorrow.

Box being too big could be the problem as well as amplifier settings. I know DC loves smaller than the norm enclosures.

Edited by jcarter1885

Very. It calls for 5 to 5.5 cubes. I turned the gain down to a quarter. It was at half. I checked the ohm load at the amp and its at 1 exactly not on of course. Ive had to break in 3 different subs for friends in the last few months and they got stinky after an hr or so. Nothing like this. Im hoping its the box too big. Havnt got a chance to get it out of the box to double check everything. I found these sweet reducers that allowed me to get both 8 gauge direct leads in and have a single 8 out. All heat shrunk and zip tied. Its only been in a day and a half. Im calling dc to be safe. Cost way too much not to.

Never broke in subs and never got a smell either, you have to be doing something wrong to get the same results for 4 different subs. Amp gain is not a volume knob, it's their to match the preout voltage of headunit.

3 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

Never broke in subs and never got a smell either, you have to be doing something wrong to get the same results for 4 different subs. Amp gain is not a volume knob, it's their to match the preout voltage of headunit.

i was thinking the same.

I've just installed a freshly reconed sub, and I run it as usual. No break in, no smell. 

I have a good enclosure, but the amps settings are made by ears ! 

Smell means you are thermally destroying the sub.  Too much average power.  Clipping is the biggest cause of an average power increase.

Well talked to dc. Turned the gain down to about a quarter. No more smell but box is too big and way underpowered now. So gotta get at least a 7k to not have to work so hard to power the monster now. Thanks for the imput everyone. Havnt put much time on here lately due to my insane work hours now in the mill. New box is coming and looking at amp options now. It never ends.

Strange conclusion.  You were putting too much power on it...so you decided to buy a bigger amp?

Right! The ultimate goal is a second sub and walling it off. Im clipping my amp to get the output from the sub. Going to a bigger amp should give me the output mine cant produce without forcing it to clip. 

41 minutes ago, Travis said:

Edited by Travis
Double posted