chevydrew

Dcon 10 advice

I've had my Dcon 10 d4 for about 3 years and I love it. First was a ported box at 33hz. Very impressive, sounded like 2 12's but I wanted more sq so I built a sealed box. Still impressive volume, much better sq for my type of music (pop) but I kinda want more... If course lol.

I would love to find a used sub to match this one, the older version. My amp is 1 ohm stable. I would just need to build a new box and I'd have the volume I want without sacrificing sq. I have looked but not had any luck yet. 

But is there another option with a ported box? Maybe tuned to a different frequency that would get more volume but better sq than before at 33hz? All this in a shallow box behind the back seat of my 2006 Sierra Crew Cab. I had to use a little fiberglass to make the subs fit depth wise but it was very worth it. 

is the ported box too peaky? you could tune lower or eq out the peak.  My guess is that you're actually having an issue with mid bass frequencies from your front stage not keeping up. 

you might just need to address the front stage setup and that would allow you to run the ported box without sacrificing SQ

It could have been the box for sure. This was my first ported box so I'm obviously inexperienced with them. BTW the port was 3" in round. I wonder if a smaller diameter port tuned to a different frequency would help. 

And to clarify, the sub sounded good ported, it just did not hit the higher frequencies like a kick drum etc like I wanted it to.  That's the reason I went back to sealed. 

Seems like you're asking too much from the sub bass drivers when (I think) you should be beefing up the mid bass Drivers to work more in time with the sub bass Drivers.

That could be the case. My front stage are 6.5 Infinity separates. But for the music I like, the 10 is amazing in its sealed box. I really think the answer is to try and find another matching 10. It's just the old style that had SSA on the front instead of Dcon. They were a little bit shallower than the new ones also which I need. 

Glad to hear you like it so much.  If I see one pop up for sale, I will point it out to you.

That would be great. I did create a wtb post as well. Thanks!