ManzKea

Sundown zv5 15 input

Hey guys, so I just got me a sundown zv5 15 and built a box for it. I was tight on space so i went with an aero ported box, its roughly in the 4.5 ft3 area after displacement and what not. I'm using a 8" sonotube tuned to 32hz. I figure the 8 would work well because it's slightly less port area than what is needed for a slot port. And I've read aero port don't need to be as much as a slot port. 

Anywho, the sub kills the lows! It's moving a lot of air. But on the higher frequency is just lacks. For example , young jeezy- put on, that first note out of that 4 notes really sucks. lol it's real quiet compared to the other 3 notes that follow it. I tried another port tuned to 38hz and it helped a bit, but I could smell the much more quicker and more when I played it. So I cut my 32hz to 34 hz and tuned my sub amp a little higher and it's improved but still a let down. Is that how this sub is? Or is it the box, would a slot port he better?Or is it just a 15" thing? First time using a single 15 I usually go with 2 12s.  The amp pushing it is a taramps 5k. 

Well anybody with experience whod like to chime in I'd appreciate it :)

Sounds to me like you should be tuned closer to 40 htz. 

42 minutes ago, Randal Johnson said:

Sounds to me like you should be tuned closer to 40 htz. 

I don't see how going from 38hz to 40hz will make that big of a difference. From my understanding the Zv and X series subs are geared more for lower notes than higher ones, but I could be wrong.

Just now, jcarter1885 said:

I don't see how going from 38hz to 40hz will make that big of a difference. From my understanding the Zv and X series subs are geared more for lower notes than higher ones, but I could be wrong.

I'm just going by asking my friends (at events) what they normally tune for daily "loud and clear MUSIC". And the general answer is 40 htz. 

When I had the 4 15" driver setup in White Lightning, it was tuned at 40. Then again, I did have a shit ton of amplifier/ battery power on that setup. Worked Great, just wasn't the path I wanted to go with that truck at that time. 

Tuned to 40, will it still dig low? Well I'll try it. I'll just cut off some from my 38hz port and see what happens . Just usually I tune to 32 and what not so the thought of 40 didn't cross my mind 

So hopefully that explains what you are hearing when you hear a new platform driver compared to a more traditional suspension driver. It is simply a LACK of distortion; there is nothing actually missing -- the drivers are not "missing the highs" -- they are just flat over stroke; they are only missing the *artificial* upper-bass spike created by traditional suspensions over stroke. In other words... they just aren't adding something that isn't really there.

So the question you have to ask yourself is do you WANT a flat and low distortion response or not ? Be honest. Some people don't like their distortion to be that low... and in general CMS related distortion is 2nd order and sounds relatively pleasing (like tube amps). 

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/sundown-audio/604273-sundown-x-z-v-4-sound-difference-visualized.html

Wow that pretty much hit the nail on the head! I think i want the distortion. Lmao  Na, I'll mess around with it and try to get a slot port box built to spec and see what's up

Yeah I always wanted to try a X series sub or Zv4\5 series from Sundown but that explanation made me weary. But they are releasing the U series which goes back to the older platform style of sound. A higher model than the SA series, basically the Zv.3 replacement.

Edited by jcarter1885
Spelling

Have you ever heard a x/zv4/5 in person before ?

12 hours ago, ManzKea said:

I've heard a pair of 18" Zv4 and I did not like that setup. I don't know if the box what good for them, but 2 SP4s in the same box and it was a night and day difference. The Fi were much more musical than the Sundown (only the lows would hit right).

That is just one experience, so I can't really judge the Sundown subs.

I can only talk about the Fi subs, as I have more experience with them.

52 minutes ago, Notorious97200 said:

I've heard a pair of 18" Zv4 and I did not like that setup. I don't know if the box what good for them, but 2 SP4s in the same box and it was a night and day difference. The Fi were much more musical than the Sundown (only the lows would hit right).

That is just one experience, so I can't really judge the Sundown subs.

I can only talk about the Fi subs, as I have more experience with them.

Oh man it was a toss up between the sp4 and zv5. I went with the zv5 because there was a local dealer I found so it came out a bit cheaper and I could get it then and there.  That sucks if I was to spend 2k or something in 2 15 expecting to be crazy loud and what not and be let down lol.  

I see see all these videos online if everyone praising sundown. I guess they are only after the Lows.  Which it delivers on tremendously. 

Oh and update my rear battery wasn't getting fully charged because of a bad ground. I fixed it and it's improved but still lacks on some of the upper end stuff. For example sample dj Khaled- I'm the one. It's pretty mUch useless lol. At least with my 2 12 re sxxv2 I can get a quick vibration. Through out the song. With these subs it's like it's just just saying the sound rather than moving and vibrating the sound ( if that makes sense) lol

the sub in action lol

15 hours ago, ManzKea said:

Yes I've heard one and have a video of me getting a demo, but honestly off the top of my head I cant recall the overall sound from the driver. I do remember not being too impressed with the setup, but that could all be install dependent.