Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Clinton

Buying First real TV, can haz help?

Ok, this is pretty sad, but I am finally buying a new TV for the first time.  It is something I am not very well versed on, hence using the power of the SSA family to assemble the best choices.  A couple of years ago, when I was at Neal's house, that TV was bananas, but worry it's well out of budget.

So, parameters for the purchase:

• $600 max
  • 50-60" viewing area
  • Smart
  • 4k if possible, UHD
  • Can order from NewEgg or Amazon
  • Mostly used to stream HBO/Netflix/Orioles games/Penn State

I've begun searching, but my knowledge is lacking and I am a little unfamiliar with some of the newer tech, and which brands to stray away from.

Samsung? Visio? LG? Sharp?

Do you have a Costco membership?

58 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Do you have a Costco membership?

Nope

Costco and sams are pretty clutch on tv pricing. Do you nuthug any brands(like i do ssa)? I have a 65" lg but opted for no 4k because of rumors i heard on a new "8k" led. 2 years in and no 8k lol. But the screen on mine compared to my brother in laws 4k sony my 1080p craps all over it because of the refresh rate. 

2 hours ago, Infinite913 said:

But the screen on mine compared to my brother in laws 4k sony my 1080p craps all over it because of the refresh rate. 

Not because of the refresh rate...but because it is a better screen.  Refresh rate is generally marketing nonsense as long as you aren't really slow.

Samsung, Sony or Sharp - the 3 S's were what you should buy for the past 10 years.  That could have surely changed now though.

For a general use tv I would buy a Vizo. If I were looking for the best tech Sony is the clear choice, but you will spend a little more.

Like mentioned above Costco or sams is your best bet for a general purpose tv. 

Hell come on up and we will go shopping.

While 4K has been the latest craze, its not leaps and bounds better than 1080p especially at viewing distance vs screen size. Can be negligible. 

What you should look for to be 'next gen' so to speak is HDR (High Dynamic Range). This is where vast improvements will be made, as more content begin to utilize this feature. 

Thats a feature Id look for in a newer TV. 

Something like this may fit your budget and needs:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5524900.p?skuId=5524900

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E6PGT90/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499174136&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=55H8C&dpPl=1&dpID=518-TDLzyJL&ref=plSrch

Edited by crackinhedz

Lindseys mom has a Costco membership I can use. So shall I look towards a Sony or Sharp 4K HDR at Costco?  I don't nuthug a specific electronic brand that's not car audio.

8 hours ago, crackinhedz said:

While 4K has been the latest craze, its not leaps and bounds better than 1080p especially at viewing distance vs screen size. Can be negligible. 

What you should look for to be 'next gen' so to speak is HDR (High Dynamic Range). This is where vast improvements will be made, as more content begin to utilize this feature. 

Thats a feature Id look for in a newer TV. 

Something like this may fit your budget and needs:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5524900.p?skuId=5524900

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E6PGT90/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499174136&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=55H8C&dpPl=1&dpID=518-TDLzyJL&ref=plSrch

I've never seen that brand, but it has all the specs.

The warranty is doubled at Costco as well.  They don't want to lose on that and buy safe tv's.  Add to that they are only putting a 17% margin in them it is hard to beat.

I am insecure with hisense as they are another southeast Asian company that sourced materials for big players that struck out on their own.  Personally a little more dough for something reputable I would go for.  Same reason even after 10 years I am not keen on Vizios

I've had awesome luck with Vizio... We have 2 Vizio 2 Samsung one lg and a sharp. Vizio has by far the better pictures of them all. 

Problem with any tv is that a few years makes them all better.  Not implying my prejudice is right but it is an insecurity on my part.

Over the last 8 or so years I have personally purchased or have helped family members purchase a new TV.  I agree with ///M5 that back 5+ years ago I would avoid Vizio's lineup, but I believe that has changed over the years and I have actually had a few people go with that brand as their choice with success.  With your criteria, I believe the most reliable brand that will have everything you want at that price point will be Vizio.  The other brands I would be looking at is LG and Samsung.  Sony's typically run too high priced to fit what you are after.

I've always been a "state of the art" kind of guy, but  this go around, I went fairly cheap on my living room and master bedroom TVs. We went to Sam's. Can't remember the name brand, but they do have HDMI inputs. And to be honest, all we ever watch is off the cable box or the blue ray / DVD player. 

To be honest, couldn't be any happier. They work great for what we need. Maybe one day I can get something "bad ass" for the man cave !!!

Happy hunting !!! 

Ok, so LG at costco in the size and price bracket:

https://www.costco.com/LG-55"-Class-(54.6"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100362946.html

Samsung:

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55"-Class-(54.6"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100350540.html

I'm not keen on either brand due to the frustrations I have had with both brands phones.