ManzKea

Is a beefy 8 louder/ hit harder/ etc than a shallow mount 12

Hi guys I helped my buddy make a box for a rockford p3 slim 12 he picked up. I was curious as to how it would sound. And excited because I've seen videos online and never heard one in person. We built a to spec box using the Rockford website and I tuned it to 35. Seeing as how it's a shallow I didn't think there was need to hit low bass.  Anyways it sound s pretty good. Not hat I was hoping lol. But as the weeks go by and I hear him pulling into work, it's really underwhelming. So I wanna get him an 8 if it's gonna be a dramatic change. 

His truck is a single cab Ford F-150 in the early 90s. Not so sure. It's real tight behind the seat. But I checked out some 8s and they'll fit perfect with a mounting depth of 5.5".  I figured a full sized 8 should be louder in all aspects then a condensed 12. Even the rms is greater than the Rockford. But I know there's a big difference in surface area so I'm not too certain.  

So yea I'm looking into the soundqubed 8. It'll be ran off of a pioneer 1200watt mono amp.  Will the switch make a difference ? Im also open to maybe the sundown sa 8 earlier models. Chime in guys and thanks for the help 

Not enough information to answer for sure.  The box makes the install and not the driver.

That being said, generally 8's are pointless.  Yes tons of exceptions, but it isn't how I'd tackle this problem.  no way, no how.

So re do the box? What do you suggest ? I had a 4x4 port tuned to 35hz and the net volume was 1.30 . Subs behind the seat and port to the driver side door

And what makes you say 8's are useless? I see a lot of people raving about em

So does the box stretch across the cab or just behind the driver seat? 

Stretch across the cab. 48". To make it simpler. Just cutting a sheet to the heights needed. It's a wedge box. I believe 7 on the bottom and 4 up top with a 4x4 port

17 hours ago, ManzKea said:

And what makes you say 8's are useless? I see a lot of people raving about em

Ported box for a single 8 takes as much space as a sealed 12 when done well and has inferior output across the board.  People rave about 8's to be "different" or to show that you can build something with lots of little drivers.  Cone area is generally your best friend in getting real bass output.  Everything else is easier with more cone.

Assuming your are limited to 5.5" of depth you are restricted to drivers with not a lot of throw and then cone area is even more important.

46 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Ported box for a single 8 takes as much space as a sealed 12 when done well and has inferior output across the board.  People rave about 8's to be "different" or to show that you can build something with lots of little drivers.  Cone area is generally your best friend in getting real bass output.  Everything else is easier with more cone.

Assuming your are limited to 5.5" of depth you are restricted to drivers with not a lot of throw and then cone area is even more important.

Ok I got what you are saying. I agree on the box, because some videos say 8s are flexing their car etc, they pop the trunk  and the box is about as big as a 10" sub box lol. I guess the size comparison of a 8 and a shallow 12 is what got my attention. 

What about a entry entry model sub, where the depth isn't as deep as a higher end but isn't as shallow as the standard 3" shallow mounts. I was looking into a Nvx entry sub because the 10 would work. Then I looked at a gcon, dcon, and those would also work. Too. Won't be a lot of clearance from the back wall but it could fit. 

I'd give Sundown SD3's a look.

Why not find another same 12 and build a sealed box? Or buy 2 12 of some other type with a sealed box? After all your not chasing the low

6 minutes ago, Liro213 said:

Why not find another same 12 and build a sealed box? Or buy 2 12 of some other type with a sealed box? After all your not chasing the low

I've never messed with seal before so I'm not sure what to expect. And isn't ported suppose to be louder? He wants to post up at the beach and listen to it while we chill outside so it has to be able to be heard ish. Lol. 

36 minutes ago, ludeman said:

I'd give Sundown SD3's a look.

Yea I saw those. But I also saw that the sa was a tad bit bigger. I'm not sure what the max depth we have to work with so I gotta double check. But that sd with the inverted surround looks like that'll help with it being close to the back of a chair

35 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

I've never messed with seal before so I'm not sure what to expect. And isn't ported suppose to be louder? He wants to post up at the beach and listen to it while we chill outside so it has to be able to be heard ish. Lol. 

Yeah ported does have more output, but your limited to space so the game changes a little. Possible you can fit 2 10s in a ported box- this will probably have the best results.

When I had my single cab 95 Chevy, I had a pair of 12s slim mb quart subs in a sealed enclosure and for what it was, it sounded very clean and tight and got loud "enough". It was just limited to playing tons of bass because I knew I would blow them if I kept a bass song on for too long.

3 hours ago, Liro213 said:

Yeah ported does have more output, but your limited to space so the game changes a little. Possible you can fit 2 10s in a ported box- this will probably have the best results.

When I had my single cab 95 Chevy, I had a pair of 12s slim mb quart subs in a sealed enclosure and for what it was, it sounded very clean and tight and got loud "enough". It was just limited to playing tons of bass because I knew I would blow them if I kept a bass song on for too long.

We'll try to change vet up the port see what happens. Some songs, the sub bottoms out kinda easily. And it's scary because if you're not carefull, you won't hear it because of the seat and all hiding it