blowthemup

sensitivity and frequency response

19 minutes ago, frogcase2002 said:

What mids and highs amp

Pioneer D8604, nothing superior but gets the job done.

15 minutes ago, altoncustomtech said:

I had a set of the ID CTX 6.5" components as well. They're a decent budget set but you definitely have a ton to gain running active with better drivers. 

I have kind of had my eye on the SSA evil 6.5's and tweeters. Anything else I should consider?

17 hours ago, blowthemup said:

I have kind of had my eye on the SSA evil 6.5's and tweeters. Anything else I should consider?

I'm a big supporter of SSA, I'll never deny that, but there's LOTS of other great brands out there and not a single one is the beat all end all answer for every application. 

Other brands to consider would be Peerless/Tymphany, Dayton, Tang Band, Seas, Scanspeak, SB Acoustics, HiVi, Dynaudio, and many many others. 

22 hours ago, blowthemup said:

How low are your average tweeters suppose to be capable of playing. I'll push them down and see how it sounds but I didn't feel like I was gaining much out of doing so.

2x their Fs is reasonable.  I have had mine down to 1200 playing around without troubles, but they are ballsy with an Fs of 750Hz.  That isn't where they are set now btw.

Thanks for the info M5, anytime I post up a topic I always know you will be there. I kind of got off track of the reason I originally started this topic though. I take it everything looked fine as far as my enclosure and settings go for the sub? I really think it sounds good, maybe I just get carried away with my expectations. Mixed with a few rattles at certain frequencies and maybe some crappy quality music and I might not be getting the subs true response.

As soon as you report back with some listening tests we can solve the original topic :)

I haven't abandoned this thread or gave up yet. Been messing with the settings the past few days. I have ended up pushing my tweeters down to 4k and mids down to 63hz. Cut the very high end frequencies by 1 and the front stage is a lot clearer/audible now. Maybe a little time alignment will help things along but i would say im not sure where to start.

As far as the sub goes, i'm still listening and trying to figure things out. When keeping things at moderate volume I notice no distortion or any muddiness regardless of music choice.I just may not have much output on some songs at medium to moderate listening levels. However i'm still trying to find some songs that don't sound the best or bring out the muddiness. I have noticed that anything from mid 30s to low 60s sounds fine even when cranked. Anything below 30 or above 60 sometimes muddies up a little at higher volumes. Im thinking the sub/enclosure just isnt up to the frequencies beyond/nbelow the 30-60hz range on the the wattage im pushing. High 40s seem to be its peak and low 30s sound ok just not as much output.

I plan to keep listening and compile songs that dont sound the best and songs that do to compare there frequencies/bass lines. I'm hoping this will give me a better understanding of what the sub likes and doesn't like with its current enclosure.

Edited by blowthemup

We will be here.  Keep playing.  The closer you listen and the more you pay attention the more you will learn.  Makes talking about what you want to improve all that much easier.

Did you try an higher LPF, like at 80 Hz ?

When the LPF was at 63 Hz, I felt like it was missing notes, or a little muddy on reggae music. I lifted it a little, to 80 Hz, and it was much better.

On rap songs (Decaf or others) it sounds good at 63 Hz, it's mostly the lowest frequencies playing.

mids : 70-75 Hz to 3000, , and the SSA tweeters are HP at 3000 Hz. Or something like that. I don't remember the slopes.

Good luck.

I use a box with much more port area, and I think it's much much better than my previous box (made to specs, I guess so).

Maybe you could check your box again...