JakeFusion

ICON/IDMAX Sub setup in a Trans Am?

Hey guys,

New here, but looking to complete my sound system. I'm pretty set on doing Hybrid Audio Clarus components for the doors up front with 150W on them. I'm debating on the rear fill, so may just leave that alone for now. So with that said, I'm trying to match that setup up front and will be using a Pioneer 4200NEX HU. I have the upgraded 145A alternator from the trucks on my car running an Odyssey AGM battery with 0 gauge wiring from the battery to the alternator. 

But for the subs, I plan to use this box: http://subthump.com/Pontiac-Custom-Subwoofer-Boxes-by-Subthump/Pontiac-Firebird-and-Trans-Am-Custom-Subwoofer-Enclosures-by-Subthump/93-02-CamaroFirebird-T-top-Box.html which is a 1.1cf sealed enclosure for dual 10s or dual 12s.

And I'm not looking to compete. I just want a nice sounding system that is musically accurate (buzzing thump is a no - nor do I care about hitting 150db). But I do listen to a wide range of music... rock and metal, rap and hip/hop, country, 80s, pop. 

With that said, I've gravitated toward a couple of options:

Option 1 (lower cost but still good performance it seems):
SSA GCONs 10s with a Sundown SAE-1500D 

Option 2 (step up all the way around):
SSA ICONs 12s with a Sundown SCV-2000D

Option 3 (just different?):
IDMAX V4 12s with the Sundown SCV-2000D

Option 2/3 are similar in price and Option 1 is a cheaper alternative with a little less amp. I've seen very good things about the GCON/ICON and the IDMAX. Are there other sealed subs that would sound good in that less than $400? Since I'm buying two, I think that's plenty of budget. So the GCONs seem like a very good, reasonably priced sub. But based on the build recommendation, I'd need to go with 10s to fit that box optimally.

And are the Sundown amps as good as they seem? The SAE I understand are made in China whereas the SCV are built in Korea? I've also thought about the Memphis VIV series, Zed, PG, and JL Audio stuff. But the price starts to take off on those. I'd like to be around $600 or less. But am I missing an American made amp that can drive these subs? Do I need 2000W with the IDMAX or ICON in that box? Would 1000W be enough? 1500? I also have looked at the Incriminator Audio IA20.1, but the cost is higher. Also interesting is the SSA IC2200.1 that just came out as it fits the budget. 

Thanks much. 

Edited by JakeFusion

Welcome to the forum!

I've built 5 F-bodies a couple times over and have a lot of experience with them.  Given the enclosure and the drivers listed, you're going to have a very bass heavy system.  From your description of what you're looking to accomplish, I'll think you'll find only one sub is necessary.  You can use dual subs, but IMO, it's just a waste of money and space.

Of the drivers listed, they are all GREAT drivers.  Your budget will be blown if you go the Icon or IDMax route though.  Hell, I've never seen an IDMax for less than $400, and honestly, I'd pick the IDQ over it every day.  

That's what I was worried about. I may just do a single 10" on the drivers side then with a ICON and 1000W? Since the cubic space in a stealthbox is around .7cf.  Actually, the Incriminator Audio IA10.1 is 1200W and looks pretty good. 

And Woofers Etc has the IDMAX for 399, so I thought that was a good price. But I think I'd rather do an ICON over it.

With that size of .7cf, is there anything better? I see the Dayton HD stuff calls for smaller boxes. Also, the CDT Audio 1000CF looks like it'd fit there. GCON looks like it would need a bigger box? Is that right?

Edited by JakeFusion

I have no experience with ANY of them sealed exception the Gcon 12s.  They perform very sell in 1 cube sealed.  I don't know what the 10s work well in, but if you follow SSA's recommendations, you'll be fine.  If you want to run ID, go with the IDQ.  They perform flawlessly in small sealed enclosures.  I'd also stray away from Woofers Etc and try and find an authorized dealer.

Thanks for the advice and warning on Woofers Etc. I saw them through Amazon, but didn't realize they weren't authorized. Went back and looked and nope. 

I've also been looking at the Morel Hybrid 602s for a little more than the HAT Clarus and using an Incriminator IA3.4 driving it (looks like a great amp for the cash). So the soundstage will be pretty clean upfront (doing passive for now since the Morel crossovers look to be good). It also gives me the option of running active down the road. Although, there may be better amps out there for that. In the meantime, I could bridge and drive them pretty hard with it. 

And for the sub setup, I think I've settled on a Subthump stealthbox with .6CF of sealed space. Looks like an ICON 10 would fit there no problem. And I'd probably do an IA10.1 there with it at 1-ohm for 1200W of output capability. I don't know how that's compare to two GCON 10s in that bigger box with the same amp, but I would think 1 ICON with the same power would be plenty for what I'm looking to do and it edges in right at my budget...

Pioneer AVH4200NEX
Morel Hybrid 602 6-1/2" Component Speaker System
SSA ICON 10" D2 Subwoofer

Incriminator Audio IA3.4
Incriminator Audio IA10.1 
Subthump 10" Subwoofer Stealthbox (.6CF) 

6 hours ago, JakeFusion said:

Thanks for the advice and warning on Woofers Etc. I saw them through Amazon, but didn't realize they weren't authorized. Went back and looked and nope. 

I've also been looking at the Morel Hybrid 602s for a little more than the HAT Clarus and using an Incriminator IA3.4 driving it (looks like a great amp for the cash). So the soundstage will be pretty clean upfront (doing passive for now since the Morel crossovers look to be good). It also gives me the option of running active down the road. Although, there may be better amps out there for that. In the meantime, I could bridge and drive them pretty hard with it. 

And for the sub setup, I think I've settled on a Subthump stealthbox with .6CF of sealed space. Looks like an ICON 10 would fit there no problem. And I'd probably do an IA10.1 there with it at 1-ohm for 1200W of output capability. I don't know how that's compare to two GCON 10s in that bigger box with the same amp, but I would think 1 ICON with the same power would be plenty for what I'm looking to do and it edges in right at my budget...

Pioneer AVH4200NEX
Morel Hybrid 602 6-1/2" Component Speaker System
SSA ICON 10" D2 Subwoofer

Incriminator Audio IA3.4
Incriminator Audio IA10.1 
Subthump 10" Subwoofer Stealthbox (.6CF) 

That set up sounds pretty sweet to me.  The Gcon's at this time, are out of production, but I am working on something now to replace it.

2 hours ago, JakeFusion said:

ICONs are still in production though?

Yes, but on a temporary pause.  Should only be a couple more weeks from what we understand.

Are you opposed to building your own enclosure?  You can easily get 1 cube+ out of the very bottom of the well.  Just another idea.  I wish I had more photos of my f-body installs, but I oily have one with a single 15.

19 hours ago, JakeFusion said:

Thanks, Aaron. I'll be looking forward to placing my order.

:woot: