I recently purchased a SSA Evil 18in sub, and a 3k rms amp. my first ever real set up so im pretty new to car audio. but i have a question and in need of advice. when i turn up the volume it almost sounds like the subwoofer is bottoming out or making a clicking noise. is this normal or do i need to lower the power on it. or  is there more to it than just that?

you can run a 6k amp on this sub and it'll handle it. who hooked up your equiptment? what amp, how's it wired? my 1st guess is, it sounds like you put the gain at max setting and possibly max bass boost which is 1000% wrong.

Where is your subsonic at and whats the enclosure tuned to

Hey Jason! yes from what i heard this sub can take a lot more than 3k, yes installed all my equipment on my own. the amp I'm running is a sound stream  T1.6000DL at .5 ohm, and i dont think it has a gain on it unless its called something different, but i will attach a photo of the current settings. sorry if its hard to see

20170810_213734.jpg

3 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Where is your subsonic at and whats the enclosure tuned to

id say my subsonic is at 3/4 of the way, and I'm not sure about the tuning but id say about 35Hz

Is input level and bass boost all the way up . . . . And is the sub not in an enclosure built for it?

My guess is the sub is in an enclosure that is not the best for it and you are needing to turn the gain and bass boost up for it to sound decent and its not to good on the sub

Input level=gains looks like its maxed out.

Bass boost looks like its maxed out.

Subsonic around 40? 

Headuniy settings?

Dono what box is or tuned to?

You would have done better if you would have turned everything to the left. Turn everything Down before you blow that sub.

Leave your low pass filter where it is.

Are you a troll really ? Nothing on here is correct It's like you saw Jonathan pryce t-shirt that says turn everything to right and you did.

Edited by Jason Brittain

9 minutes ago, Jason Brittain said:

Subsonic around 40? 

Headuniy settings?

You would have done better if you would have turned everything to the left. Turn everything Down before you blow that sub.

Let's start here and see what we can learn.

Yes, turn all that down and set it up right before you destroy your sub.  While you are at it you should share some details on the enclosure it is in...

I seen them knobs on the pic and this poor man has the pedal to the metal and wondering why the gears wont change. We will take care of you boss and make sure that the beautiful piece of art you purchased will be playing to its full capability. Please share enclosure specs with us. LxWxH and port length and dimensions aswell. Since you shared pic of amp maybe pic of box aswell? Also your voltage at half ohm is taking a beating. Whats your volts stay steady at while you were playing?

I would even turn the low pass filter down, even though pots arent accurate. Looks to be low to mid 100hz, but everyone above already touched on everything else. Good luck

low pass 1/4 way up , gain 1/2, bass boost 100% if you have a knob,  subsonic off 

Bass boost up and subsonic all the way down?

Forsure dont listen to that . We need info about your enclosure and electrical befor you should be playing it loud

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:47 AM, Jason Brittain said:

Subsonic around 40? 

Headuniy settings?

Are you a troll really ? Nothing on here is correct It's like you saw Jonathan pryce t-shirt that says turn everything to right and you did.

haha no I'm not really trolling this is my first set up, pretty new to this, i turned bass boost all the way down, and turned the gained and subsonic down, sounds healthier now. I'm guessing it was doing some major clipping? does it a little still on the high notes ill attach pictures of my electrical set up and box specs

20170821_175310.jpg

i have 250amp alt, 1/0 wire to batteries and amp. 2 krank it up 1800 batteries

alt.JPG

voltage.JPG

Box is 34x24x19 port is 5x17x20, bought it at a local audio shop

sub box.JPG

Who makes the alt and have you clamped it for accurate power? Ebay 250 amp needs to be at like 6k rpm to reach it. Just want to make sure you got stout power supplier.

So does it sound as loud and clean as you hoped it would ?

Try turning the low pass filter down, find the song with notes that still give you trouble and use that as a gauge. Anyway to go to a reputable shop to get you set right?