Xrc6

RF 360. Do I still need to adjust gain on amp?

Recently got the 360.3. I was reading some older threads found on google and I noticed a couple of posts mentioned that once you get the 360 setup and tweaked that your supposed to keep your amp gain down and you don't have to do any further adjustments. I think because of the 360's output somehow?....I just wanted some clarification on this.

In general you set your gain once.  It is input sensitivity.  This means of course if you can change your output level via a processor you are by default changing your gain.  So even with a processor you need to set your gain but it doesn't mean that you won't end up changing it with the processor.

I am a little concerned about your plans using a 360 to run active if this is a question.  Would be good to share your whole plan so we can help

I know what the gain is and how to set it. I didn't know it had output gain, as I said I just bought it.

My comment wasn't about gain, but getting some real use out of the 360.  It is quite the processor and to be worth the $ implementation isn't trivial.  Goal is to help you get the most out of it.

Gain is somewhat of a misnomer.  It is indeed what an amp does, but the "gain knob" on an amp is just an input sensitivity knob.  At the same time, the output of your headunit at full output could be .5, 1, 2, 4, 5, .... volts.  With the 360 you can adjust the output level of every channel (I am assuming, don't own one but if you can't it is a POS processor).  This means if you want to have the passenger tweeter 2dB louder than the drivers (a differential is always required to sound good) you can.  Same with the mids and sub/s.  All channels can be tailored both in output level as well as crossover and equalizer.  (again I am making an assumption on the 360.3 as I haven't used one, but even $100 processors allow this so it better).  Same can be said for phase.  Every driver should be able to swap phase on a processor.  I've NEVER seen an installation where everything in phase (electrically) works.  Flipping one or more than one driver has always improved things greatly.  In my truck it makes the difference between the mids hitting you in the chest and you wondering if I have anything playing midbass.  Super extreme.

That all being said there are a TON of variables you can set.  Making sure you contemplate them is critical for a good installation.  The more we know about what you are doing the more we can help.

Last comment on gain setting. Any method you read about that requires ANY measuring is useless...in particular with a processor like you have.  The last thing you want to do is use a DD-1 paperweight or even an oscilloscope.  Both will only make things worse and are pointless.  Not saying you were going to do that, but just for others reading they are terrible mechanisms to do this in particular since you will be changing your output sensitivity based on the processor.

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

My comment wasn't about gain, but getting some real use out of the 360.  It is quite the processor and to be worth the $ implementation isn't trivial.  Goal is to help you get the most out of it.

Gain is somewhat of a misnomer.  It is indeed what an amp does, but the "gain knob" on an amp is just an input sensitivity knob.  At the same time, the output of your headunit at full output could be .5, 1, 2, 4, 5, .... volts.  With the 360 you can adjust the output level of every channel (I am assuming, don't own one but if you can't it is a POS processor).  This means if you want to have the passenger tweeter 2dB louder than the drivers (a differential is always required to sound good) you can.  Same with the mids and sub/s.  All channels can be tailored both in output level as well as crossover and equalizer.  (again I am making an assumption on the 360.3 as I haven't used one, but even $100 processors allow this so it better).  Same can be said for phase.  Every driver should be able to swap phase on a processor.  I've NEVER seen an installation where everything in phase (electrically) works.  Flipping one or more than one driver has always improved things greatly.  In my truck it makes the difference between the mids hitting you in the chest and you wondering if I have anything playing midbass.  Super extreme.

That all being said there are a TON of variables you can set.  Making sure you contemplate them is critical for a good installation.  The more we know about what you are doing the more we can help.

Last comment on gain setting. Any method you read about that requires ANY measuring is useless...in particular with a processor like you have.  The last thing you want to do is use a DD-1 paperweight or even an oscilloscope.  Both will only make things worse and are pointless.  Not saying you were going to do that, but just for others reading they are terrible mechanisms to do this in particular since you will be changing your output sensitivity based on the processor.

Not sure I understand your comment. I know what the DSP is and what the 360 can do, that is why I bought it. What I am doing is of course tuning my audio system to my vehicles acoustics from a factory unit and tuning to my sound bias (preference) using TA and phasing for each channel to create a better front stage...what else would anyone do with a DSP?

My question was in regards to some posts I read stating you don't adjust the gain on the amp. Having Output gain explains what they were meaning.

That is only the tip of the iceberg but ok.  

With very limited info on your system, it's difficult to answer some questions correctly. 

What I get out of this so far is that the only thing I know you have is a factory head unit and a Rockford processor. 

What type of vehicle and what you've installed / changed out so far would help. 

1 hour ago, Randal Johnson said:

With very limited info on your system, it's difficult to answer some questions correctly. 

What I get out of this so far is that the only thing I know you have is a factory head unit and a Rockford processor. 

What type of vehicle and what you've installed / changed out so far would help. 

Because I had a limited question which was answered in first response. Thanks.

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

That is only the tip of the iceberg but ok.  

Then what's the lower 3/4's of the iceberg that apparently doesn't involve tuning individual channels for better imaging?

22 minutes ago, Xrc6 said:

Because I had a limited question which was answered in first response. Thanks.

Then what's the lower 3/4's of the iceberg that apparently doesn't involve tuning individual channels for better imaging?

To be honest, there ain't much more you can do with that product. Most Sound Quality gurus that try it normally replace it after their first competition season with it. 

Just Saying

So when M5 said it's just the tip of the iceberg he meant it's the whole iceberg. Lol, that's pretty much what I thought.

6 minutes ago, Xrc6 said:

So when M5 said it's just the tip of the iceberg he meant it's the whole iceberg. Lol, that's pretty much what I thought.

Not really.  I made an assumption, perhaps a poor one, but the average person who would have asked what you asked would not have perhaps the detailed understanding that you might.

On 8/19/2017 at 10:22 AM, Xrc6 said:

What I am doing is of course tuning my audio system to my vehicles acoustics from a factory unit

Just so you know, the auto mode on the 360 is pretty much useless.

On 8/19/2017 at 10:22 AM, Xrc6 said:

tuning to my sound bias (preference) using TA and phasing for each channel to create a better front stage...what else would anyone do with a DSP?

t/a, phase, eq, crossover, level, balance are all adjustable.  There are tons of settings and while yes, to your preference covers everything the details of what can be done, how it is done, and the reality of its implementation are not so simple.  

Considering level is the easiest of all to understand and implement when a thread is made asking about that the natural assumption is that you were hoping to plug in the 360 and be wowed.   Nailing the crossover and interacting with your install is far from trivial but hugely rewarding when done right.