Jump to content
akuma4u

best 12 inch subs for SEALED box 1000rms range

Recommended Posts

Hi
I am looking for subwoofer recommendations for 12 inch to be used in a SEALED enclosure

I got 3 cubes GROSS and 2000rms to play with

I want the subs to be able to get low, so f3 has to be in the mid to low 30s
I also want them to get LOUD with high SPL so i guess that means it has to have strong motor and plenty xmax

Some subs i was thinking of are:

DC level 3 12s

SSA gcon (these are 750 rms each, would 2 of them be ok on 2000rms? i dont know if these subs are underrated or not)

SSA icon (these are 1250 each...would 2 of them be on on 2000rms?)

IA lethal injection (no idea what the F3 is on sealed boxes on this sub)

Image dynamics IDMAX v3 or v4

Fi ssd

FI Q (discontinued i believe)

AA chaos 12s

please let me know any other subs or recommendations you guys have
thank you

Edited by akuma4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are literally hundreds of drivers that fit here.    Just pick a good quality driver(s) from a quality company in your price range and you're good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

There are literally hundreds of drivers that fit here.    Just pick a good quality driver(s) from a quality company in your price range and you're good. 

ummm.. there are certain subs that are MADE or that excel in SEALED applications over ported. They are designed to play in sealed enclosures. Im looking for people who have already tested and know of some excellent drivers that fit my needs. So for those who know.. please offer your recommendations. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fi Q is not discontinued, check their website. Fi Q Neo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

Fi Q is not discontinued, check their website. Fi Q Neo

im not sure if these new fi q neos are still suited for sealed boxes

they also take more power than i can deliver.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran the 2008 version Lethal Injection 12s, sealed and ported. Loved them both, ported even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

I ran the 2008 version Lethal Injection 12s, sealed and ported. Loved them both, ported even more.

how low did they get in sealed? and how many db in sealed roughly were you hitting?

whats the diff between 2008 and present version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would have to ask IA that, they had a 2013 version since then and just now released a 2017 version recently. Call Nick at IA, he is very friendly and will answers any questions that you have.

They got down and low sealed, I wouldn't put a sealed setup on a mic so I can't help you there. Ported was better all around (output and lows) and worth the extra space it took from my trunk. Just my .02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2017 at 7:21 PM, akuma4u said:

ummm.. there are certain subs that are MADE or that excel in SEALED applications over ported. They are designed to play in sealed enclosures. Im looking for people who have already tested and know of some excellent drivers that fit my needs. So for those who know.. please offer your recommendations. Thanks

Oh, I am fully aware of this, hence my comment.  There are literally thousands of drivers on the market and literally hundreds that will fit your needs.  I'll continue in a minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2017 at 9:05 PM, akuma4u said:

im not sure if these new fi q neos are still suited for sealed boxes

they also take more power than i can deliver.. 

Power handling does not dictate power required.  You can easily push drivers to their mechanical limits with far less than rated power handling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2017 at 9:06 PM, akuma4u said:

i did see these but since i got 2000rms i thought the lethal injections would be a better choice as they are 1000rms each..

however i have no idea what their f3 is on sealed..

Even if you did know the F3, it's going to change once loaded in the vehicle.  Cabin gain can often boost the low end by as much as 10dB!

 

If you  are shooting for extreme low end in a sealed application, you are going to be building a very large enclosure and once loaded into the vehicle and cabin gain takes effect, you are going to have a very narrow passband with an exaggerated low end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Travis said:

Aaron I was drooling over these... 

They look sweet, and I do love an underhung motor design.  That is what I did with the Evil65's. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2017 at 9:06 PM, akuma4u said:

i did see these but since i got 2000rms i thought the lethal injections would be a better choice as they are 1000rms each..

however i have no idea what their f3 is on sealed..

The IA LI's are an outstanding sub and a nice value.  With our Gcon out of stock, the IA LI is my automatic alternative suggestion, those how much I like it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

The IA LI's are an outstanding sub and a nice value.  With our Gcon out of stock, the IA LI is my automatic alternative suggestion, those how much I like it. :)

well.. im pretty much down to choosing between 3 models,.

IA LI 12s

JL W7 12s (f3 40hz)

SSA ICON 12S

all run on 2000 rms and all in a 3 cube net box (thats my max size box allowable)

I would like to know exactly what the difference is between the LI and the ICONS.. i know icons can take a lil more power,. but both drivers on 2000 rms in a sealed box, which will get lower?  i actually found out the LI have a f3 of around 37hz in a sealed box but i still need to find out the f3 on the ICONS.. if it is lower than the 37hz in around 1.25 cubes then this makes the ICON a bit better than the LI and perhaps its worth waiting a month for them to come back in stock..

is it worth it to wait for the ICONS to come back in stock? how do these compare to the jl w7 or is there no comparison?

i really want to be able to get as loud as possible and as low as possible with the best "SQL" type sound as possible and be able to listen and enjoy all genres from decaf to rock  so i can be satisfied for the next 2 years or so..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Icon F3 in a 1.0 cube box is 48hz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Icon F3 in a 1.0 cube box is 48hz.

thats very high... surprised its so high. im actually speaking to a guy named josh he just relayed the info to me as well , i asked him if there was a mistake made since its so high.

i guess it would be better to get the lethal injections since they will play much lower..

would you say the LI are better than JL W7s in a sealed set up?

if there are any other subs i should look at , pls let me know now. Thanks for your help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you say sealed but whats the problem with 1 12 ported? Something around the 2k rms range? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frogcase2002 said:

I know you say sealed but whats the problem with 1 12 ported? Something around the 2k rms range? 

thats what i got now but i find its a peaky response with stuff sounding good around tuning freq only so some songs sound nice but a lot dont.. when i was running sealed most sounds sounded great with the exception of very low freq songs,. so this is why i prefer sealed, plus i can get more cone area with 2 12s, so if i get a low f3 sealed woofer i can get all songs sounding good.. thats my goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, akuma4u said:

thats very high... surprised its so high. im actually speaking to a guy named josh he just relayed the info to me as well , i asked him if there was a mistake made since its so high.

i guess it would be better to get the lethal injections since they will play much lower..

would you say the LI are better than JL W7s in a sealed set up?

if there are any other subs i should look at , pls let me know now. Thanks for your help

The Icon thrives in both sealed and ported, but it really shines ported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

The Icon thrives in both sealed and ported, but it really shines ported.

since the f3 on sealed is so high,. im curious how it shines in sealed as it wouldnt go that low to play stuff that has a low bassline.. if u had the choice which would u choose the li or icon for a 1000rms sealed set up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, akuma4u said:

thats what i got now but i find its a peaky response with stuff sounding good around tuning freq only so some songs sound nice but a lot dont.. when i was running sealed most sounds sounded great with the exception of very low freq songs,. so this is why i prefer sealed, plus i can get more cone area with 2 12s, so if i get a low f3 sealed woofer i can get all songs sounding good.. thats my goal.

 

stay ported but tune them FLAT with less 

than 8% port velocity

 

you would forget all about sealed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Run 1 12 icon in a 4th order 2:1 ratio. Best of both worlds. I can speak for the icon and say it is one of the best subs i have ever heard. I loved it so much i put 8 18s in an astro. I should mention I have had every ssa sub from dcon to evil. I have had dss ethos, jl w7, psi,nvx, american bass, pioneer, Sony, DC, RE and Fi. There is just something about the icon that outshines all them other subs with its heavenly bass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×