Nshaffe5

Who does box designs?$$$

The ssa store offers box designs for decent price. Just have to be EXTREMELY patient. 

What can one expect with a box design ? I made my own boxes over the years. Ported and what not. So is there something I'm missing ? I calculate the air space port length and all that using the 12volt . Com. 

4 hours ago, ManzKea said:

What can one expect with a box design ? I made my own boxes over the years. Ported and what not. So is there something I'm missing ? I calculate the air space port length and all that using the 12volt . Com. 

I have always built my own boxes, though have had little experience with 4th and 6th orders. 4th doesn't intimidate me as it's more forgiving and less precise than the 6th, plus there's a lot of info on them. 6th is pretty choppy on info and I'd like to try one. Standard ported isn't hard at all and sealed is pretty easy as well. I've used the 12 volt calculators before but there port lengths seem to very from other websites, one being car stereo.com. I don't feel like dropping the $160 on bbp6 so I'd rather pay a smaller fee and have someone design it for me with modeled results rather than a blind build on my own. Plus Ive got two AA team 18's going in it so I'd rather pay someone with experience and proven results than experiment on my own and have two big ass paperweights.

2 hours ago, Nshaffe5 said:

I have always built my own boxes, though have had little experience with 4th and 6th orders. 4th doesn't intimidate me as it's more forgiving and less precise than the 6th, plus there's a lot of info on them. 6th is pretty choppy on info and I'd like to try one. Standard ported isn't hard at all and sealed is pretty easy as well. I've used the 12 volt calculators before but there port lengths seem to very from other websites, one being car stereo.com. I don't feel like dropping the $160 on bbp6 so I'd rather pay a smaller fee and have someone design it for me with modeled results rather than a blind build on my own. Plus Ive got two AA team 18's going in it so I'd rather pay someone with experience and proven results than experiment on my own and have two big ass paperweights.

Oh 6th order! Yea deffinetly want some expertise on it. And like you said a box for two 18s wood need a lot of wood lol and it would suck to build an incorrect box 

I paid for a box design from the SSA store when I ordered my XCONN.  I'm very happy with the decision.  

The right enclosure can make or break a setup as well. I've seen and heard crap subs in the right enclosure and been blown away by them and great subs in a crap enclosure. Planning, research, and trial and error.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

The right enclosure can make or break a setup as well. I've seen and heard crap subs in the right enclosure and been blown away by them and great subs in a crap enclosure. Planning, research, and trial and error.

Might just build a ported box. Talked to Scott at AA/Fi and he said 7 cubes@30hz is good per sub for low end. I just can't decide to do 16 sq in or 21 sq in per cube. 21 is a number generated by a calculator to keep port velocity low. Around 150 sq in at 7 cubic foot is optimal according to the calculator giving the box volume, tuning frequency, and wattage. Also checked with another calculator that uses xmax, frequency, and box volume and get around the same results though it seems big to me, but I think I'm gonna build a 7 cube trial box and mount the port on the outside so I can just interchange the port and see what sounds the best, then use that port size and length and build a box that incorporates the port inside as well as up it to the 2 subs. Calculator says if the port area is too small it will have over 30m/s velocity at that high of wattage so you'll lose a lot of output inside the box, worth a shot I suppose.

If this is in regards to the as team 18s it's a good start. We broke them in one by one in my jeep. (Waited 3 months for his second sub). My old box was roughly 7 1/2 cubes after displacement 18 sq inches of port and it was good for a 147.9 off a synergy 35. Tuned to 32hz

Edited by Travis

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

If this is in regards to the as team 18s it's a good start. We broke them in one by one in my jeep. (Waited 3 months for his second sub). My old box was roughly 7 1/2 cubes after displacement 18 sq inches of port and it was good for a 147.9 off a synergy 35. Tuned to 32hz

What kind of Jeep ?

21 minutes ago, Travis said:

How do you like the 35.1? I was looking into a 45.1 per sub, also looking into the Orion hcca 5k as they are both reasonably priced. I like the 5 k because it's over 4K rms @ 2ohms so that's good for box rise when wired at 1ohm per sub

1 hour ago, ManzKea said:

What kind of Jeep ?

Old jeep cherokee lol

53 minutes ago, Nshaffe5 said:

How do you like the 35.1? I was looking into a 45.1 per sub, also looking into the Orion hcca 5k as they are both reasonably priced. I like the 5 k because it's over 4K rms @ 2ohms so that's good for box rise when wired at 1ohm per sub

And for the price great amp. I planned on getting the 7.1 to power my level 6 18 but stumbled onto an ns1 v1 for a good price. Don't know what the new setup will do yet as I'm going to pick my new enclosure up. I'm chasing breaking 150 on one sub and I can't stop myself lol. The new orion's seem to be getting good praise

Edited by Travis