Jeremy90

Wtf am I doing wrong head unit only works hard wired yellow to red?

Had to disconnect my radio for trouble shooting and when I hooked it back up with yellow to yellow red to red it dosnt wont to power on unless it's hard wired yellow to red.. I have a extra orange (illumination) wire left can't remember if it was hooked up or not please help so I don't have to take my deck out everytime 

what head unit are you installing? also I assume the car is on when you have the colors matching?

I would say blown fuse on the red wire or it got messed up somewhere. Check the radio fuse and if its not blown you can always just run a new turn on wire

Test for voltage on the red wire.  Tell us what it shows.

You're obviously not getting power on the switched 12V lead, so when you hook what is supposed to be switched to a constant voltage, you get constant power.  It's just like bypassing the switch on your lights at home.  Without the switch to break the circuit, the light is constantly on.  Same thing with your HU.

No. If the radio fuse is bad it wont work at all because the connection isnt being completed. The fuse in reference is your vehicle remote turn on for the radio. What we are saying is you are bypassing the vehicle "remote/key on" wire and giving it direct access to power. So basically either your fuse in the car went or you need to perform an exorcism on your car and radio.

Edited by Infinite913

You REALLY need a meter.  You can find them for $5.  Seriously.  A decent one at Sears will run $25.  It's an invaluable tool. 

This is the ONLY way we can help you.  We NEED to know the voltage on the red wire. 

What vehicle is this in?  Many newer vehicles communicate(operate) via CANBUS and the red wire which in years past commonly provided a switched +12VDC in many cases now is 5VDC.  This could be your issue, but we won't know until you are able to measure the voltage on that wire.

I'll have to get one I appreciate all the help.. it's a 1998 Plymouth voyeger and the deck is pioneer I got from a scrap yard by my house it was used an iv owed it for a couple years now.. question tho if I leave it hard wired an take the face off will it still draw power 

Edited by Jeremy90

No, as long as the unit de-energizes when the faceplate is removed.  You could just as easily shut the unit off before removing the face just to be certain.

Run a switch and cut the power yourself as a 2nd but im with tire if no face to draw power it shouldnt.