j-roadtatts

Help choosing tweeters and with installation please.

For $50, the SB29 and Dayton RS28 are both winners.

For a bit more I have a really hard time not recommending the Peerless HDS...although I haven't heard the new one.  Had a pair of the older ones, but expect fully that the new one should be as good.  (810921/Scan Speak D2608)

Spending more than $75 per tweeter in a car to me isn't sensical...unless you really have to have a small format in that case one could make the argument for the D2904, but shit they got spendy.

All I see for the D2904 is a large format?

if I had to have a small format, I think this one is justifiable. 

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-soft-dome-tweeters/scanspeak-illuminator-d3004/6020-00-tweeter-textile-dome/

Could be fun to play ^^^ back to back with the Evil perhaps.

I will study all other large formats you have suggested and get back to you on that one. 

Is my correct question/answer in the natural roll off on the bottom of the tweeter?  

i.e-  The tweeter I had peaked and then dropped off rapidly,  and once the Xover was applied I couldn't eq the bottom back with limited eq. 

I only ask this after looking at the Fr on the drivers you just recommended  compared to the d3004/6020. 

So is a bump with a rapid drop at the bottom end better or the gradual slope for my limited processing capabilities? 

This is how you explained it long ago with the mids Sean, and it made sense. 

M5 quoted in reference to a driver with a 10db spike at 4K. " To put it in perspective if you use a 2nd order crossover at 2k it will still have the same output at 4k as at 2k. The range in between will be strange though as the slopes won't match. Obviously a 4th order crossover at 1200Hz or so would be real easy with it, but reducing yourself to having to use high order slopes is not "easy" and doesn't always use the best results."

Thanks for being patient with my guys I'm pretty sure I about got my head wrapped around this.

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

For $50, the SB29 and Dayton RS28 are both winners.

For a bit more I have a really hard time not recommending the Peerless HDS...although I haven't heard the new one.  Had a pair of the older ones, but expect fully that the new one should be as good.  (810921/Scan Speak D2608)

Spending more than $75 per tweeter in a car to me isn't sensical...unless you really have to have a small format in that case one could make the argument for the D2904, but shit they got spendy.

If you do consider the SB29s, I have a pair laying around if you didnt want to buy new. Good luck on your tweeter search, Sean helped me with my selection as well so you're in great hands.

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

If you do consider the SB29s, I have a pair laying around if you didnt want to buy new. Good luck on your tweeter search, Sean helped me with my selection as well so you're in great hands.

Thanks for the offer, i will keep it in mind moving forward. 

I'm planning on making some mounting rings for the large formats and see if I can stomach the shape of the pods will end up.  That may persuade me away from large formats.

Sean has been a very valuable asset to my last couple biulds.  Could not ask for a better audio mentor!

Sorry, I missed this.

The tweets I have won't go much below 2500 so they may not be good for you, but you're welcome to them if you'd like.  Just PM me your shipping info and i"ll get them out and link you to the specs.

Definitely hop back on with your findings before buying anything.  If the right things are in my audio closet they could surely make their way to CO.  I've reduced the idiocy that was driver overload, but still have too much shit.

Did someone say more dynamic range and with less SPL compression? I'M ALL IN!!!

Image may contain: car, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Some quick template action. I can get them aimed to the center of the car. Which is about 15 degrees off and above axis.

I'm still stuck with the single channel cheesy graphic EQ, but can deal with that next if needed. 

Off axis will probably be preferred, but the baffles you made will allow you to test. :)

A question for reference Sean. What is an acceptable variation in angle difference between the tweeters, in relationship to the listen position? 

I.e. Is matching the angles of the large format to the listeners seat as critical as a full ranger?

I understand that off axis will sound best, but should I forget about the pods ending up symmetrical?

I always find soft dome tweeters to be

" lacking" in crispness.... they sound flat to me

i am running 1" pure titanium domes and they are pin point crisp and crystal clear

4 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

A question for reference Sean. What is an acceptable variation in angle difference between the tweeters, in relationship to the listen position? 

I.e. Is matching the angles of the large format to the listeners seat as critical as a full ranger?

I understand that off axis will sound best, but should I forget about the pods ending up symmetrical?

Acceptable?  They can be entirely different.  Damn reflections in your space almost require it.

3 hours ago, Thumpper said:

I always find soft dome tweeters to be

" lacking" in crispness.... they sound flat to me

Ever listened to a good set?  Lacking is a strange way of describing them to me.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, ///M5 said:

Ever listened to a good set?  Lacking is a strange way of describing them to me.

I have tried many soft domes and always gone back to titanium because I find a lack of depth and sharpness

some of them were really good but there is just something "missing" between them and a good metallic dome

I don't like all metallic tweets though...cheep metallic domes are tinny and color the sound 

upgrading to Beryllium tweeters in this current rebuild , they sound incredible

I've owned several different tweeters over the last few months.. (Seas Neo, Alpine Pro, Morel) and for $40 you CAN'T beat the Alpines. They sound great on axis and off axis but honestly on axis is where they really shine. Not harsh at all. They blend well with my NVX XSP 6.5's crossed at 3.15hz running active.

4 hours ago, slikrider20 said:

I've owned several different tweeters over the last few months.. (Seas Neo, Alpine Pro, Morel) and for $40 you CAN'T beat the Alpines. They sound great on axis and off axis but honestly on axis is where they really shine. Not harsh at all. They blend well with my NVX XSP 6.5's crossed at 3.15hz running active.

I'm curious which alpine tweeter are you referring to?

At this point I am switching to the large format tweeter. I already bought the HDS. I will probably pick up at least on more large format to to play back to back, before building the pods. 

Anyone reading this considering the Neo Seas, I will say I had no major complaints. Although they were nothing to write home about imo. Very sterile would be the best way I could describe them. Old man tweeters perhaps.

As far as metal dome tweeters, The few I've heard did sound very detailed to me.  Possibly something I will play with some more down the road.

Lastly I got my SSA Evil tweets in the mail yesterday, that I purchased for another vehicle I will be doing a build on soon. I will be putting them in my  current pods today and giving them a listen for the time being!

The Seas Neo is usable for sure, but just not exciting.  In that price category I personally would be trying the Evil tweets next.

Does anyone have recommendations of upper tier SQ competition cars of any era I can look to for reference? 

4 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Does anyone have recommendations of upper tier SQ competition cars of any era I can look to for reference? 

Not without looking hard elsewhere online. The SQ communities are fairly small and hard to find. I swore I’d never recommend going to Facebook instead of this forum but I don’t know of a larger community of SQ folks than the SSQ (Strictly Sound Quality) group. Asking there would probably be a best first shot after the forum here. 

On 10/8/2017 at 8:13 AM, j-roadtatts said:

I'm curious which alpine tweeter are you referring to?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pair-alpine-HIEND-28MM-dome-car-tweeter-4ohm-50W-vifa-XT25-PK-scanspeak-seas/222186264721?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They were the tweeters found in the Old Alpine Type X pro comp set. They are 1.25" ring radiator tweeter so they are pretty big. I have them crossed at 3.15khz @ 24db. You just can't beat them for 40 bucks shipped to your door. 

Here's a little before/after what it looked like once it was all fabbed up to fit in my factory location.

Untitled_1.jpg

I kind of guessed those where the guys you where referring to. I had seen the grilled alpine badged version on eBay also. Lol 

the may end up in the mix sooner or later... as I would like to play with a RR at some point.

I have a pair of those...don't like them, although I could have sworn mine were the XT19 derivatives.  WIll have to go downstairs and look.   Either way, no balls on the bottom end.  The F1 status Alpine tweet made by Scan however though I LOVE.

They do need crossed at 3.15 or they will start distorting, but for the price, I don't think you can beat them.

I have a week of ear play with the Evil tweeters installed and it's been stellar!! First played some Juice Newton, as her voice is angelic. Then Eagles Hotel California, again amazing reproduction.  Then listened to the Darkside of the Moon album and the detail was immaculate!  Beyond that I have not been able to stop listening to jazz on them.  Very open sounding, crystal-clear, no airiness and non fatiguing to the ears!!!!!!