j-roadtatts

Help choosing tweeters and with installation please.

13 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

I have a week of ear play with the Evil tweeters installed and it's been stellar!! First played some Juice Newton, as her voice is angelic. Then Eagles Hotel California, again amazing reproduction.  Then listened to the Darkside of the Moon album and the detail was immaculate!  Beyond that I have not been able to stop listening to jazz on them.  Very open sounding, crystal-clear, no airiness and non fatiguing to the ears!!!!!!

This is SO awesome to read!  I can’t wait to get to playing with mine!  

What’s up man ?? I’ve been gone awhile and reading up. Please refresh my memory. Are you using time alignment with this setup ??

Nice review on the SSA products.

Going back and looking at your pics, I would suggest one of those custom fit dash covers for your specific vehicle. You’d be surprised what it does for your sound stage. I bought one for my son’s stock 2017 Cruze hatch and was really impressed with the difference it made. 

Anyways, just a suggestion. Good luck !!!

Edited by Randal Johnson

2 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

Going back and looking at your pics, I would suggest one of those custom fit dash covers for your specific vehicle. You’d be surprised what it does for your sound stage. I bought one for my son’s stock 2017 Cruze hatch and was really impressed with the difference it made. 

Anyways, just a suggestion. Good luck !!!

THank you kind sir. Is on the list of to do's, atleast for testing. 

From what my ear can tell the reflections are not to bad in this car. I did move the tweeter around until I could create audible reflections though, just for reference.. 

I did some aiming with the Evils and eliminated the rainbow effect. Was jamming the Grand Ole Opry Live last night and sounded like I was in a huge room. I can tell this stuff is only going to get better!! YEAH!!!!!

Man yal are makng me excited to get my evil tweeters

5 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

What’s up man ?? I’ve been gone awhile and reading up. Please refresh my memory. Are you using time alignment with this setup ??

Nice review on the SSA products.

Missed this one.  

Good to hear from you Randy.  Hope all is well with you. 

Yes I am using time alignment.  Also have the right mid playing 3-4 dB higher and I believe the right tweeter 2 or 3dbs iirc. Getting ready to install an h701, so will make more headway rapidly once i can eq separately. :D

For “now” testing purposes, you can get a bath towel and put it on your dash. Has the same effect, just covers up your defroster vents. 

I’ve always learned it best to keep your EQ flat when tuning. Then listen to judge’s opinions and EQ from there. I know, it’s your ride, but if you compete, they have the ears you need to cater too. Just saying. 

Also, be careful when cutting and boosting left and right separation. You can easily loose information on the left side of the stage and image. Seen this happen many times in different vehicles. Use time alignment only if possible. 

I’m sure you already know most of what I’m saying here, I’m still working with my tweeters in the F150. Just throwing shit out there ... LOL

again, good luck !!!

Edited by Randal Johnson

I had planned on just trimming a dash mat out of enclosure carpet and Velcro'ing it down.  Can't say any of the prefab ones look any more appealing than what I plan,  but we will see how it comes out . Lol 

This car will be tuned to my tastes only.  I don't compete and do not do demos. 

I will pull out the evils and start testing with the HDS's at the end of this week. 

At this point in the game I Am taking a step back and working on training my ears.  So back to studying music and studio techniques. 

I understand and I’m tuned in. Hopefully I can update my build log soon. 

On 10/20/2017 at 8:53 AM, j-roadtatts said:

I have a week of ear play with the Evil tweeters installed and it's been stellar!! First played some Juice Newton, as her voice is angelic. Then Eagles Hotel California, again amazing reproduction.  Then listened to the Darkside of the Moon album and the detail was immaculate!  Beyond that I have not been able to stop listening to jazz on them.  Very open sounding, crystal-clear, no airiness and non fatiguing to the ears!!!!!!

:woot::woot: 

On 10/20/2017 at 10:26 PM, j-roadtatts said:

You will love them. Aaron made a gem with these.

That is awesome to hear. :)

I finally found a non-permanent and adjustable mount for the HDS. I will use some 15lb rated Velcro to mount to the dash, and cover the base with the dash mat. As much as I have been enjoying the Evil tweet's, its time to get the next beasts in for some ear play!No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.