ManzKea

How to safely over power a sub ? Smallbox recommendations

There is no which is louder, all install dependent. Someone could easily make either louder than the other.

ie, the setup that will be louder will be in the better box.

5 hours ago, ManzKea said:

You don't say!!!??  Yea I noticed a lot of people vouching for the 4th orders. Then got those special few that wanna kick it up a notch to 6th orders lol.  What makes em useless? People say it plays wider range because of the sealed and ported portions etc. 

No, a 4th order describes the slope of the mechanical filter of the box.  In other words a standard ported enclosure is a 4th order, a 4th order bandpass is a 4th order, etc. 

46 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

There is no which is louder, all install dependent. Someone could easily make either louder than the other.

So there's no straight forward answer? Well I was keepers my everthing the same. Same volume for the box with the same amp powering em. Only difference would be either 2 15 sp4 or 3 12" sp4. Granted you are correct with install dependent. And do understand how someone could make either or  louder. Examples, going from the 12s in a SUV to 15s in a extended cab truck. 

13 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

ie, the setup that will be louder will be in the better box.

Well the bix will remain the same. With the same amount of port area. Which is 6ft3. A single 15 calls for minimum 3 per sub. Where as the 12s range from 1.8- 3 I believe each sub.  So that's why I was wondering if slightly more surface area would be louder or adding another speaker would be louder

Again, depends on the box.  Yours sounds like you aren't optimizing for either which means it will be a crap shoot.

33 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

Well the bix will remain the same. With the same amount of port area. Which is 6ft3. A single 15 calls for minimum 3 per sub. Where as the 12s range from 1.8- 3 I believe each sub.  So that's why I was wondering if slightly more surface area would be louder or adding another speaker would be louder

It's possible to poop on multiple subs with less.... Its all about the enclosure. I've seen single dd subs break into the 155s. But tuned terribly high. Like 70hz?? I'm not breaking 150s yet but just on testing getting 147's off a single sub tuned to 35. And I thought had it tuned high. Still decent but it defiantly lacks lower end. I 

18 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Again, depends on the box.  Yours sounds like you aren't optimizing for either which means it will be a crap shoot.

Well it's in the recommended specs. Albeit on the smaller end tho. But yea I suppose it's not in the optimal air space 

1 minute ago, Travis said:

It's possible to poop on multiple subs with less.... Its all about the enclosure. I've seen single dd subs break into the 155s. But tuned terribly high. Like 70hz?? I'm not breaking 150s yet but just on testing getting 147's off a single sub tuned to 35. And I thought had it tuned high. Still decent but it defiantly lacks lower end. I 

What sub are you using ?

28 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

What sub are you using ?

That's the level 6. I was seriously wanting to do the new sp4's but I heard waits of 4 months on subs. As much of a monster as the level 6 is it was at my doorstep not even 2 weeks after being ordered. Hell, I missed the FedEx truck at my door before I even got the notification it had shipped. If I could do it again I would have just bit the bullet and ordered the fi's. 6 is a great sub. But I settled.

Edited by Travis

13 hours ago, Travis said:

That's the level 6. I was seriously wanting to do the new sp4's but I heard waits of 4 months on subs. As much of a monster as the level 6 is it was at my doorstep not even 2 weeks after being ordered. Hell, I missed the FedEx truck at my door before I even got the notification it had shipped. If I could do it again I would have just bit the bullet and ordered the fi's. 6 is a great sub. But I settled.

Oh yea that's right. Sorry I forgot.  You sound like me when I picked up the zv5

From what I hear the sp4s are more of a musical sub. Same with the evils. I was up in the air between the two. Ended up with a level 6. Could have bought 2 for the price of one level 6. At least with the carbon fiber upgrade I got. Next step is a wall build. But do I want another level 6? Or cut my losses and get what I wanted in the first place.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

From what I hear the sp4s are more of a musical sub. Same with the evils. I was up in the air between the two. Ended up with a level 6. Could have bought 2 for the price of one level 6. At least with the carbon fiber upgrade I got. Next step is a wall build. But do I want another level 6? Or cut my losses and get what I wanted in the first place.

Cut your losses. I love my evils. They are everything I was hoping for. Could be from coming from the zv5 where it was lacking upper bass. But yea I'm blown away by it. My dss ethos sounded cleaner and loud. But the evil are loud and low. And maybe it doesn't sound as clean because it's way louder so it's all in your face type.  But yea I'm sure you can afford to take a little loss if you was to sell it. 

I went with the zv5 because it was on island. And I seen it in person and it's a beauty alright lol got me hooked. But it's ok at least now I know. So it's cool because now I won't live with a what if lol

So opinion wise it's prettier than it sounds lol

Hoffmans iron law. The answer is simple and an iron clad law of physics at that. 

Otherwise there's nothing you can't model simply with a program such as WINisd. 

The 4th order can easily end up a one note disaster. Everyone figured that out in the 90's. Lol :D

12 minutes ago, Travis said:

So opinion wise it's prettier than it sounds lol

Oh no no. I was just comparing it to the dss ethos in sound quality.  On the power it was on ,5k the two ethos sounded great. The evils are just in your face more than the ethos. But that's because it's rated more and on more power so of course that's expected. But the evils sound great and play a very wide range of notes. But I enjoy it. With no regrets or disappointment 

Lol I was referring the zv5 my fault. The level 6 in my opinion is more of I sight shocker than sound shocker in my opinion after owning mine. I'm sure not meant more for daily use as mine is 99 % daily than anything else. I was always a jl audio guy but the price is and always was high for anything jl. I still love jl subs..but I'd never buy them new. There defiantly isn't a lack of equipment in the market. Do I regret the dc... no. But wish I stuck to my original plan.

Edited by Travis

Oh the zv5? Yea it demolished the lows but anything else no so much. And I was let down seeing how so many people rave about sundown. But if it's lows and air movement you're after, then yea that's the way to go. And I guess at the end of the day you live an learn. Lol 

32 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

Hoffmans iron law. The answer is simple and an iron clad law of physics at that. 

Otherwise there's nothing you can't model simply with a program such as WINisd. 

The 4th order can easily end up a one note disaster. Everyone figured that out in the 90's. Lol :D

But everyone just swears by it now days lol like a 4th order is the secret to taking your system to the next level lol 

I still own a q-logic prefab 4th order. Hehe

They are VERY efficient and can be done right. Definitely capable of creating chest crushing bass on very little power would be their highlight. :D

Possibly people have figured out how to tune them better since they have been around awhile. More selection of subwoofers that will tolerate that type of enclosure perhaps. They can definitely be hard on drivers,  especially if it is not designed to handle the alignment. 

No magic in them.  Generally they sound way worse than a comparable ported enclosure.   The lemmings that build the BP's now are just like in the 90's, they have no idea what they are doing.  There are a few exceptions but they are few and far between.

32 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

Oh the zv5? Yea it demolished the lows but anything else no so much. And I was let down seeing how so many people rave about sundown. But if it's lows and air movement you're after, then yea that's the way to go. And I guess at the end of the day you live an learn. Lol 

Yea my zv4 crushed lows. Sundown makes nice stuff. Not so nice on the wallet tho.. I sold my zv4 18 for $500 . They hold value well. But the thought of buying new sundown subs never crossed my mind lol

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

No magic in them.  Generally they sound way worse than a comparable ported enclosure.   The lemmings that build the BP's now are just like in the 90's, they have no idea what they are doing.  There are a few exceptions but they are few and far between.

So what would be the reason for some of the bigger systems scoring high and moving lots of air, etc. guys like Jprices Tahoe, um sencheezy,  etc. idk can't think right now lol.  Would you say they are few exceptions or would you say they have the equipment and power supply to get loud regardless ? Just curious. 

5 hours ago, Travis said:

Yea my zv4 crushed lows. Sundown makes nice stuff. Not so nice on the wallet tho.. I sold my zv4 18 for $500 . They hold value well. But the thought of buying new sundown subs never crossed my mind lol

Yes they do lol. I guess their like Jordan's of the car audio world