ManzKea

How to safely over power a sub ? Smallbox recommendations

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:01 AM, ManzKea said:

So when people online shrink their enclosure to add more power what are they actually doing? Like what's their purpose of doing so ? 

I'm not sure what they're doing.  I guess it could alter the impedance curve slightly which could slightly increase power handling.  In the end the thermal/RMS rating is determined by how the coil was constructed (and to a smaller degree the basket, pole vent and other construction considerations).  There is nothing that you can really do to make that coil take more power. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, ManzKea said:

Well the bix will remain the same. With the same amount of port area. Which is 6ft3. A single 15 calls for minimum 3 per sub. Where as the 12s range from 1.8- 3 I believe each sub.  So that's why I was wondering if slightly more surface area would be louder or adding another speaker would be louder

As  the others said it's really dependent on the enclosure.  Assuming you build an optimal enclosure for whatever subs you're using, then cone area usually wins out in sealed enclosures and power handling in ported enclosures, but that's painting with a really broad brush.

When you're talking hitting ridiculous SPL numbers, those guys are testing multiple boxes, controlling panel flex and just moving the microphone around slightly will can have a huge effect.  If you're just looking for a unreasonably loud ground pounder, then I'd build a ported enclosure on the large side of the manufacture's recommendations (maybe larger) and tune somewhere between ~32-42hz depending on how loud you want to get and how much low end you're willing sacrifice to get there.  As you tune higher, it'll get louder, but the tuning frequency becomes more and more dominate. 

41 minutes ago, ManzKea said:

So what would be the reason for some of the bigger systems scoring high and moving lots of air, etc. guys like Jprices Tahoe, um sencheezy,  etc. idk can't think right now lol.  Would you say they are few exceptions or would you say they have the equipment and power supply to get loud regardless ? Just curious. 

Alot of the big builds are 4th order bandpasses because you couldnt fit the amount of subs and port area they need on a flat wall

Don't know if it's been said yet, but the comp guys your talking about find the resonate frequently of vehicle itself. Then tune to that frequency. 

Most off the shelf ported boxes at audio shops are tuned 35-45hz, with a super small port. Because the average person is wowed by how loud it is, not how low it goes.

it takes a lot more power to get loud at 32hz compared to 40hz. The 40hz will be loud to your ears. The 32hz will crush your chest and throat, make the earth shake and still not be as loud.

A single note fart cannon and a box for music are two distinctly opposite designs.

Them guys seem to blow a lot of subs to pull those numbers is all know. 

Funny thing is over here on the SQ side, ppl run 3-4 times RMS power to their drivers. BUT to gain a greater dynamic range in frequency response for split bursts, not all out continuous SPL.

20 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

Funny thing is over here on the SQ side, ppl run 3-4 times RMS power to their drivers. BUT to gain a greater dynamic range in frequency response for split bursts, not all out continuous SPL.

Definitely.  I’m currently running 300wrms to each door of my Traverse with Bravox CS603CF components in it that are rated for 125wrms. Brad (impious) was running 600wrms to each side of his when running the same set. The difference it makes in handling those dynamic bursts is simply incredible.

It’s so easy to get caught up in all the numbers and power ratings are numbers that people worry so much about but in reality they mean little to nothing as long as a person understands what they’re doing in such a situation. 

The other funny thing is RMS power can roughly be doubled for every octave over resonant frequency a speaker is crossed.  As it is effectively forcing the speaker to be more efficient,  and RMS is basically a measurement of efficiency with other parameters accounted for.

Wow lots of great info. Thanks guys!!!