Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Amp gains suggestions

Wanted to see opinions on where I should set high and lowpass filters on my sundown ns1. I'm slowly figuring my issue out but open to others imput. Enclosure is 5 cubes after displacement tuned to 35. Everything on my head unit is set to flat. Any help is welcomed

Id set the highpass/subsonic to around 30 and lowpass somewherr between 50-80

Here’s a great set of instructions for correctly setting your SSF that was originally posted right here on this forum!

The best way to set your SSF correctly only takes a few minutes and all you need is test tones or a tone generator app to perform the procedure. First thing to do is turn your SSF all the way DOWN to ensure it doesn't interfere with the first step. 

Start off playing a tone/frequency about 10 to 15hz higher than the frequency your enclosure is supposed to be tuned to. Now turn up the volume enough to easily see the sub(s) moving. Now go change the frequency down 1hz at a time, each time watch the movement of the subs. As you go down in frequency you're looking for the sub(s) to be moving the LEAST amount. When you see it/them move the least then start moving more again you've passed the tuning frequency. You'll need to switch frequencies up and down until you're sure at which frequency you see the LEAST movement. 

Note that frequency as it is your ACTUAL tuning frequency. Now pick a frequency that is 3 to 5hz lower than the tuning frequency and turn it up again enough to see the movement of your sub(s) very easily. Turn the SSF up until you see the sub(s) moving right at half as much as as it/they were before you adjusted the SSF up.

Your SSF is now properly adjusted. It takes a little bit of back and forth to get it right but this way you know with certainty it's done right.

There’s no perfect right or wrong answer for the low pass filter. It should be set to compliment the transition from the highs to the subs. I typically just tell folks to adjust it to whatever sounds the best to them, blending the lows into the highs. 

Turn em all the way up and put the pedal to the floor :popcorn:. LOL but Alton nailed it in his posts. Not much to add. 

All knobs to the right? Lmao. But seriously I'll take the advice and apply it. I'm not new to this but sure feels like it right now. Thanks 

Full tilt on the way to work. No stank! I'll post some updates/pics after I'm off today. Time to get loud! Thank you to my car audio bretheren!

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Full tilt on the way to work. No stank! I'll post some updates/pics after I'm off today. Time to get loud! Thank you to my car audio bretheren!

We will always try to put you on the right path. Its hard because a lot of things are preference based but we will give you as much info to help you figure out your system. Glad its better for you Travis!

1 hour ago, Infinite913 said:

We will always try to put you on the right path. Its hard because a lot of things are preference based but we will give you as much info to help you figure out your system. Glad its better for you Travis!

I'm stoked. I've never had to go this far with tuning but bad and boujee full tilt. No stink. Now a little more fine tuning and I'm good. Hopefully get some video up.

8 hours ago, Infinite913 said:

Love the bare metal roof.

Lol I'm debating what to sound deaden with. Either normal deadaner or pl a few layers to the roof.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

pl?

A kind of construction adhesive

5 minutes ago, frogcase2002 said:

Only reason for that thought is if I wall it the roof will already be ready.

3 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

So 100% completely useless for deadening.  Ok.  Don't use that.

39 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

So 100% completely useless for deadening.  Ok.  Don't use that.

Lol. I guess I should phrase it better. Deadaner if I go that route. Pl if I fully commit to walling it down the road. M5 you're full of knowledge I may use on the next one. I plan on a ls motor car as my reward to 17 years of paying child support. That will be just clean on the sq side. For now it's a whole different monster. 

Can't complain about the LS.  The Esky took to boost really well.  Kills X5M's...

37 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Can't complain about the LS.  The Esky took to boost really well.  Kills X5M's...

I figure why not. I don't plan on anything too crazy. I just want something to cruise and enjoy what little of a summer we have. They're selling fairly reasonable. Went looking at some new ss's the other day. Not a fan. 

If they would have put an upscale interior in the SS I'd have one.  The non descript look on the outside is a huge bonus IMO although it does look like a fwd rental.  Holden badges and grill do help that a ton though.

1456747626673925805.jpg

s4p0es.jpg

Yea. Sucks how they have Austrian only models on a bunch of really sweet cars. And keeping it somewhat of a sleeper is going to be a must. At least when it's not running anyways.