Sign in to follow this  
slikrider20

Subwoofer recommendations (detailed criteria available)

I don't normally make these threads but.....(says every guy ever...:D)

Anyways, right now I have a 12" DCON getting 350wrms from an Alpine MRX M55 subwoofer amp. The amp will do up to 550wrms @ 2ohm so i'm looking to find a subwoofer that will do well with that power, and would obviously need to be single 2 ohm or dual 4. I absolutely love this sub, but i'm just ready to try something new with more output, and all the affordable- to- me SSA subs that do well with this power aren't in stock yet.

I have a 2002 Grand Prix and the current box I have is 2.25cf @ 30hz. I can build a box up to around 3.5cf with the space I have, and I want something that works well ported in up to that size (or smaller, of course)

I don't need anything competition worthy, I just want something that sounds clean, and hits the low notes (30-40hz or so) well, and of course that would work well with 500 watts or so. Basically my Dcon on steroids, if you will. I'm trying to spend under $200 but if it's closer to $250 it won't be a deal breaker.

So far, i've been looking at the American Bass XFL series, DC level 2, and the Soundqubed HDS series. But i'm open to anything, must be an SQ oriented sub that does well ported.

I'm really leaning towards getting a 15 as well to help try and get that output that I so desperately need.

Edited by slikrider20

A 15" would be a good start for more efficiency. A larger enclosure will also reward you in efficiency and most likely sound  smoother. Tune to 35hz with the largest port allowed will gain you efficiency and be more sq if set up right. 

As far as sub choices its really personal preference based on what trade off's you are willing to make. If cost and sound quality are the deciding factors then you've answered your own question!  Seriously though, I have heard rumors of a new Dcon and Gcon in the works. Don't know when they are being released or how soon your buying, but hey now its out there.

I agree with Jared.  

What are your enclosure limitations??  Do you have room for a 15” or a pair of 12’s?  Sonicelectronix still has a BOGO sale on the NVX XQW 12” subs, you can grab a pair for $200. They’re built by SB Acoustics, a very SQ oriented company, for NVX. Just throwing that out there.

Don’t get hung up so much on the numbers, such as power handling. It doesn’t determine how loud a driver gets or how good it sounds or anything else of the sort. The enclosure design is the determining factor for a subwoofers performance. 

Edited by altoncustomtech

I have about 3.5 cubes available, I know the nvx stuff is decent, I have their xsp65 mids and they are fantastic. 

Has anyone actually heard those nvx subs? 

2 minutes ago, slikrider20 said:

I have about 3.5 cubes available, I know the nvx stuff is decent, I have their xsp65 mids and they are fantastic. 

Has anyone actually heard those nvx subs? 

I have a pair, have yet to put power to them though. I jumped on the sale with the idea they’ll be my contingency plan in the event I cannot get the 2nd recone for my DCON’s. 

I might just have to try them out, granted they would only be getting 275 watts a piece with my current amp. It looks like 3cf @ 34hz seems to be recommended for an optimal ported enclosure for 2.

An all new Dcon is done.  Just building up funds for production.  All new Gcon 12 is in production now.

@altoncustomtech your recone is in transit, finally.

3 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

@altoncustomtech your recone is in transit, finally.

I saw that!!!  I was gonna send you a pm and let you know if you didn’t already!!

Wooohooo!!!!!!  :dancing::wacky::drink40::hsughexile:

Edited by altoncustomtech

19 hours ago, altoncustomtech said:

I saw that!!!  I was gonna send you a pm and let you know if you didn’t already!!

Wooohooo!!!!!!  :dancing::wacky::drink40::hsughexile:

I was the one that updated your order status. ;)