Turbofetus

Sundown ev3 10 problem

Okay so I just got a sundown ev3 10 installed in my 04 accord coupe. I had a box custom built for it. The box is my first ported box so Im just wondering if this is how it should sound or not. I noticed while playing a few songs that the higher notes that my sealed setups hit well weren't really being played by this sub. So I found a test tone sweep that swept from 25-150hz and played it. Sure enough the sub falls on its face around 50hz, whereas the sealed sub in my gfs car doesn't start to die off until around 70hz. Any help would be appreciated because I just don't like how it sounds. It does however absolutely slam the lows. The setup is as follows:

HU: Kenwood ddx574bh 

Sub: sundown ev3 10" d2, wired to 4 ohms

Amp: soundqubed 1200.1 

LPF: 80hz on deck, completely open on amp

Subsonic filter: 28hz

Box: 1cuft net, tuned to 34hz

Can you verify that it is actually tuned to 34hz? Could be tuned lower. Thus making it unable to play high notes. 

But it it could be a sundown thing. I had a zv5 15 and it killed the lows but lacked upper bass. It still played to some extent but not as loud or with authorities as some of my previous 2 12s would. I thought it was just because of how the mega surround was made for. But could be a sundown thing. I’m not sure 

Yeah I can try to take some measurements of it to make sure it is tuned to 34, the person who built it is reputable though so I'm sure it's probably spot on. I'm also wondering if I'm having some cancellation issues or if my vehicle has strange cabin gain.

What sub is in the sealed enclosure that you’re referencing?  I’m not sure about this version of the E series but the lack of upper range is a common complaint with several the other Sundown lines as Manzkea mentioned.

Your thoughts on cabin gain could also be part of the problem although all vehicles have cabin gain.  It could be a combination of what you’re used to hearing from the sealed setup, weaker upper response from the sub and the enclosure tuning/cabin gain adding to the effect.  Have you tried using the EQ to lower the bottom end output to help even out the response?

As Alton said, the first test would be either cut the bottom with an eq or boost the top....  without any other speakers playing. (doesn't matter if you boost or cut as far as testing go's, but blending might be a diff story)

Second test would be to raise the crossover and flatten out the slope,  to see if that sub in the current alignment is even capable of producing what you are after. Again without any other speakers playing.

Have you played with the phase of your sub and/or midbasses? Wire the passenger midbass out of phase From the driver side,  then toggle the subwoofer phase.  See what happens. 

The other suggestion would be change the orientation of the enclosure in the car. The thought would be it may shift or lower the cabin gain. The sub may not sound as loud, but might smooth out the response.

Thanks for all the tips guys, definitely going to try to do a few different things and see what happens. And Alton I've had several different sealed setups, the current one I'm comparing it to now is an SSA Dcon that I put in my gfs car.

The Dcon is a very tonal subwoofer,  and is geared towards loud and smooth.  Even sounds that way in a ported enclosure! Unfortunately you are in a juggling act of physics. You can have low, loud, and smooth. Pick two. 

I will add that when a subwoofer is in phase with the mids, it is usually the quieter setting of the two phase options. But more balanced sounding. Make sure to test with one mid wired out of phase though, or you might not  reach "absolute" phase.

4 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

The Dcon is a very tonal subwoofer,  and is geared towards loud and smooth.  Even sounds that way in a ported enclosure! Unfortunately you are in a juggling act of physics. You can have low, loud, and smooth. Pick two

I will add that when a subwoofer is in phase with the mids, it is usually the quieter setting of the two phase options. But more balanced sounding. Make sure to test with one mid wired out of phase though, or you might not  reach "absolute" phase.

LOL - a variation on Hoffman's Iron law. 

I'd say the sub is just delivering what I would expect from that enclosure.  It's peaking around ~40hz and dropping off on the top end and you're probably losing cabin gain too, so the drop off isn't unexpected.  Try placing the sub toward the rear bumper and facing to the rear to eliminate any cancellation.   See Eddie Runner's tutorial below. 

http://www.installer.com/tech/index.php?page=aiming

The Dcon is a pretty darn good sub for the money.  After hearing a couple set ups with Dcons, I knew SSA was for real. 

Hoping tomorrow I'll be off at a decent time and can mess with a few things... also does anyone have experience with the soundqubed clip indicator gain knob. It seems that output is lacking unless I have it right up to the point where it is flashing the red clip light... I know you can't hear clipping but the sub sounds good and not distorted at all.

Okay so had to run to Wal-Mart so I sat in the parking lot playing with settings for a little. I tried the following:

Fading completely forward so the rear speakers weren't playing

Reversed the subwoofer phase

Changed the subwoofer slope

None of this helped, going to attempt to get the box turned around firing into the cabin to see if that will help at all. If not I may just have to get used to it and wait until the new DCONS come out. 2 of those sealed off 1200 would sound pretty good more than likely.

UPDATE

So I went to make a video of the problem so I had my buddy connect his phone so that I could record on mine. Well I had him play the sweep so I could make sure the volume was set where I wanted it. When he played it, the sub played above 50hz. So I asked him to play the song that I first noticed the problem on. Sure enough it played the higher bass note just fine. So looks like my issue is my phone. He has an iPhone and I have a Samsung galaxy s8+. Anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do with the phone?

Also, something I just thought about. When I connect to the gfs car through Bluetooth it plays highs fine. Maybe it's a problem between the deck and my phone?

Sure looks like a phone - deck problem, this is why I always use a cd when testing and tuning.

Could it just be the songs you have? Like where you downloaded them from or youtube or however you get your music. Cause that can make a huge difference

29 minutes ago, frogcase2002 said:

Could it just be the songs you have? Like where you downloaded them from or youtube or however you get your music. Cause that can make a huge difference

I primarily use spotify and have my settings as high as they will go. But it does this regardless of whether I play off of spotify or YouTube... I'm going to try the USB connection and see if that will help. 

Was what your friend played the same as what you play

2 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Was what your friend played the same as what you play

Yes, exactly the same song and tone sweep

So going to try something tomorrow. I remembered earlier that the trunk was open when he played the sweep and song. It was slightly open because I was going to go take a video of what the sub was doing. Tomorrow I'm gonna pop it again and play the sweep and song through my phone and see how it reacts. If it plays right I'm going to experiment with my box placement.

So I was messing with the deck a day or two ago and found that the 63hz range of my 13 band EQ was all the way down, so I put it up to just above flat and it seemed to help a bit. I'm having an issue with my mids/highs that I have been trying to fix but got it under control now. Been listening to this sub for the past couple days and I just dont know if ported is for me. It's loud and hits hard for what it is. I'll just have to give it time and see how I feel come spring time. Also, this amp seems a bit strange to me. On my old setup the bass was pretty consistent song to song. but I find myself having to adjust the remote gain knob every time a new song comes on. And the gain on the actual amp is like 3/4 of the way up, just weird that even with it set so high I can still crank the remote knob all the way and have very little output on some songs.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:53 PM, Turbofetus said:

Hoping tomorrow I'll be off at a decent time and can mess with a few things... also does anyone have experience with the soundqubed clip indicator gain knob. It seems that output is lacking unless I have it right up to the point where it is flashing the red clip light... I know you can't hear clipping but the sub sounds good and not distorted at all.

Long ago I had the 1200 .1 Nd I felt the same way. Someone told me to turn the log up higher to around 100hz. It helped a little. But yea I got irritated seeing the red light flash. So I ended up selling it