Hello all, I have been away from the forums for some time since graduating college and started working again. Now that I have some money to finally move away from these seemingly low powered setups (6 systems since 2012), I am looking for help with my wall build. I am going to be building the base to the wall in my 2016 Ford Focus sedan in a week or two, and there is a lot of room to work with (over 30 cubes). I will be running 2 18" ZCONs on (undecided) either a 5.5k or 6.5k amp with supporting electrical (batt bank, lots of OFC wire, and HO alt). This is my daily, and I just want a ground pounder with no care to what numbers it'll put up in the lanes. I would like to demo a lot. I'm thinking 8 cubes per sub (16 cubes net) tuned to 32 Hz is a good place to start (recommended by SSA). I'm thinking either a center slot port, or a top port.

** I listen to ALL kinds of music, Decaf/DJSNT, rap, hip hop, metal, rock, 80s/90s pop, jazz, country, movie scores, blues, dubstep/electronic, classic rock, oldies, etc, etc..**

Now... my questions are: How much port area do y'all recommend? Is 8 cubes of net volume per sub a good amount? Should I be alright running an underrated 5500 watt amp, or go with the 6500? What port orientation shall I go with? 

If I think of more questions, I will be sure to post them. 

P.S. Sorry if I am asking some questions that are common knowledge among these builds, but this is my first "loud" and "high powered" setup. My two loudest systems thus far have been a single Obsidian Audio 15 on about 900 watts, and 2 Sundown Ev3-12's on 1300 watts.

Thank you for your time and patients everyone! Cheers.

Nice choice on subs. Check out my latest build log. Just got done with my wall with 2 zcons

They forsure can handle ALOT of power but dont need it. they will do fine on anything you give them. But I would get as much power as you can afford.  . 8 cubes each is a good place to start and I would go with at least 110-120 sq in of port each. Im right around 235 or so for both of mine right now.

13 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

They forsure can handle ALOT of power but dont need it. they will do fine on anything you give them. But I would get as much power as you can afford.  . 8 cubes each is a good place to start and I would go with at least 110-120 sq in of port each. Im right around 235 or so for both of mine right now.

Thanks for pointing out your build log. I like that you actually kept up with the posts and gave a great overview of the major steps. Money isn't a huge concern, I mean sure I'd like to pinch pennies, but I have been doing that since 2011 (I'm only 23)... So I am basing my budget off of what amps (and all their competitors) cost. I can get a 6500 for $1400 (Audio Legion), but am starting to look at a Brazilian board like your Taramps. May consider SounDigital. Probably smarter to have a larger amp and slowly build up electrical rather than regretting buying a 5.5k. I digress... 

How do you like the 10k Taramps thus far? Also, do you recommend the 33Hz tuning, or should I go for 34-35? According to SSA, any of those number are within the recommended tuning range for the newly revised ZCONs.

Thanks for your help!

Hmmm, on the fence now between a Taramps 8k and Soundigital 8k. Taramps is far less expensive, but the SD is still a good value. How is the 10k treating you?

Edited by mikebingham34
Changed question to other forum member

So far I like the taramps. Forsure for the price. But I only have the stock alt on right now so havnt seen what it can really do yet . I have done a few setups for people using taramps and there forsure decent for the money. .    I think 33 hz would be about perfect . Wouldnt go to high if you like the lows

I used to see a lot of brazilian amps with problems, they were catching fire, or breaking fast.

Nowadays it seems different : I can see alot of Taramps, SD, (no more Stetsom though)...

Fi sells Banda on their own site !

What is going on ?

Why are they suddenly so good ? They're cheap, powerful, and now reliable ?

BTW : nice choice on subs. You'll love them.

Edited by Notorious97200

SSA carries Banda.