Sign in to follow this  
Turbofetus

Kenwood bass ext setting

I have a Kenwood ddx574bh HU and was just wondering what the bass ext function really does? The manual is pretty vague. I have it off right now just wondering if it should stay off or if I should turn it on.

The bass extension is a feature that automatically brings the frequency's below 63hz up to the 63hz EQ gain setting level. It "extends" the EQ band. Is basically a single eq band for the subwoofers bandwidth.

As far as if you should have it on or off is personal preference. Will depend on your listening tastes, equipment, install, etc. How does it sound TO YOU with it on? Did you adjust the "62.5hz" EQ band with the setting on? 

I personally would make sure everything else other than the sub is dialed to my personal preference first. Then bring in sub and adjust accordingly to blend. (SQ approach) If your just after bone crushing bass, then I would focus solely on the subs output while tuning.

The "bass boost" most likely is centered around 40hz, the EQ band is 63hz. So perhaps try all possible setting combos with the boost, eq, and ext feature and report back if needed. :)

4 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

The bass extension is a feature that automatically brings the frequency's below 63hz up to the 63hz EQ gain setting level. It "extends" the EQ band. Is basically a single eq band for the subwoofers bandwidth.

As far as if you should have it on or off is personal preference. Will depend on your listening tastes, equipment, install, etc. How does it sound TO YOU with it on? Did you adjust the "62.5hz" EQ band with the setting on? 

I personally would make sure everything else other than the sub is dialed to my personal preference first. Then bring in sub and adjust accordingly to blend. (SQ approach) If your just after bone crushing bass, then I would focus solely on the subs output while tuning.

The "bass boost" most likely is centered around 40hz, the EQ band is 63hz. So perhaps try all possible setting combos with the boost, eq, and ext feature and report back if needed. :)

I prefer a more SQ oriented approach. I have all the other settings just about dialed in. I turned it on while listening to music once a couple days ago and felt like I could hear the sub bottoming out... I may turn the volume down and turn it on and slowly raise the volume to see how it sounds. I'm running an ev3 10 sundown ported on an sq1200 at 4 ohms. Box is tuned to 34hz. I have to have my sw level all the way up on the HU to get any bass on country and rock songs.

From what you are describing it sounds like you are lacking on the top end of the sub frequency range.

What x-over setting are you using? Does that amp have a SSF...If so whats it set to? How does the bass on country and rock sound with either the bass boost or 63hz eq band raised up, without the bass ext on? Have you tried the sub phased both ways?

Crossover is right about 80 on the amplifier, the amp does have a SSF and I have that set to about 30. I tried to switch the bass ext on while listening to rap and didn't notice much of a difference. I will have to try rock and country with it on and also play with my 63hz setting while listening to that music. The only way I have been able to get decent bass response on those songs so far is by cranking my sub level up to 10. And yes, I have tried the sub phased both ways.