aperez

Can you choose only 1 speaker- JBL , Polk, Alpine, MB Quart

I have the least amount of knowledge when it comes to car audio systems, and that is why I have to ask you the following 4 questions. I would GREATLY appreciate any answers.

1) I just want to replace the speakers with better ones as I don’t want to drill holes in the door panel for tweeters. Does that mean that I have to buy “coaxial” speakers, instead of “component” speakers? 

2)Assume that the price for the following 4 brands are the same . What brand would you choose?
MB Quart, Polk Audio, Alpine, JBL

3) Whichever brand you just chose from above, can you please recommend your model preference? 
MB Quart - Discus 2-Way Car Speakers with Mica-Filled Poly Cones 
MB QUART - X-Line Coaxial Speaker with Polypropylene Cone 
MB QUART - Z-Line 2-Way Speaker System with Polypropylene Cones 

Alpine - 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Poly-Mica Cones 
Alpine - 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones 

JBL – 2-way Component Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones 
JBL - 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones 

Polk Audio - MM1 Series 2-Way Car Speakers with Dynamic Balance Cones – component
Polk Audio - MM1 Series 2-Way Car Speakers with Dynamic Balance Cones-coaxial 

4) In general do you prefer Poly-Mica Cones over Polypropylene products?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

If you don’t wanna drill holes then yes coax speakers will be your best bet. But they do offer surface mount tweeter brackets with components sets. Those would require just a few screw holes. Not sure if you thought flush mount was the only type of way to mount a tweeter. 

Out of all all the brands I’d say alpine. 

Not sure the differenceof the two type type of cones so I’d go with who her fits your budget 

Go listen to something and tell us why you liked what.  

Btw, just plopping speakers in the factory locations without a baffle and some effort is a waste of money...

Welcome to SSA! 

1) Correct, on the co-axial.

2)Alpine would be top of my list, with the JBL next. I would pick Pioneer over the other two.

3) you didn't say the size so..... Alpine SPS-517 or SPS-610. I believe these to be built by Dayton and imo will have the best midbass. The R-S65 if you are after extreme clarity and detail, but with a light midbass. The SPS are power hungry, but will reward you nicely if fed correctly.

4)Both cone materials are well behaved due to the internal dampening properties of the materials. And will hold up well in a car door, if that is a concern.

As Five stated above, a little damper mat and a wood/MDF/HDPE baffle will go a long ways in creating a good sounding install.

If you can listen to those speakers before buying, do it, and come back to tell what you liked or ot.

You'll need to use wood baffle (or rings) to install your speakers so they can express themselves correctly.

I like the JBL brand a lot, but I can't tell you if you'll like them better than the other. You need to test them.