j-roadtatts

J-roadtatts Super Sonic Xterra Build

Mite have to try something like that when I get my tweeters . Sure would make it easy to adjust them to any angle. 

Looking good bro!!

14 minutes ago, frogcase2002 said:

Mite have to try something like that when I get my tweeters . Sure would make it easy to adjust them to any angle. 

I was really wanting an adjustable mount. After searching high and low for ideas I found these. They are "Ram" brand mounts. They have a ton of different end plates and arms.

I bought these used on eBay and the are for a fish finder.

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

This is amazing.  Those tweeter pods..... incredible!!

Thanks mang! 

So how are the tweeters comparing to each other??

1 hour ago, altoncustomtech said:

So how are the tweeters comparing to each other??

That's a tough one to answer in regards to frequency response, with as little time and tuning as I have had with the HDS's. The HDS is made to eat a LOT of power and just as sensitive as the Evil. I Also doubled up the power at the same time of switching.

The Evil's are smoother sounding and more forgiving right out of the box, without being dull at all. They handled 100 watts and being crossed as low as 1400hz no problem.

With all that said, the HDS is just getting started output wise and can produce very dynamic peaks on the power available. The sound is almost holographic and definitely realistic. To give the Evil's fair credit, I don't feel they where aimed ideally.

I like those pods. They look nice, and you can aim them where you want.

But I don't understand : was it a comparative test ? Were you using both tweeters ? One in the pod and one in the A pillar ?

Sorry. I did not get it...

11 minutes ago, Notorious97200 said:

I like those pods. They look nice, and you can aim them where you want.

But I don't understand : was it a comparative test ? Were you using both tweeters ? One in the pod and one in the A pillar ?

Sorry. I did not get it...

No test. Just ran the Evil's right up until the new mounts where complete, then removed them. The Evil's are intended for another car and where just filling in. Sorry for the confusion.

On 12/1/2017 at 8:45 PM, j-roadtatts said:

You know me better than that Eric.

:fing34:

Insanely great idea with those adjustable pods!! Looking good dude!

On 12/1/2017 at 9:51 PM, frogcase2002 said:

Forgot to mention the other adjustable mount I saw someone using was an adjustable Go-Pro mount. May be better suited for small body tweeters, but did not check them out in person though. 

1 hour ago, j-roadtatts said:

Forgot to mention the other adjustable mount I saw someone using was an adjustable Go-Pro mount. May be better suited for small body tweeters, but did not check them out in person though. 

Mite have to check them out

So what exactly we're the adjustable pods used in your testing? Looks like a sweet idea

50 minutes ago, Travis said:

So what exactly "were" the adjustable pods used "for" in your testing? Looks like a sweet idea

Not quite sure I understand the question correctly.

But the purpose of the adjustable pod is the capability to dial the frequently response for tonal accuracy and good soundstage. The hope is to be able minimize reflections and aim the tweeters more precisely, so less eq'ing is needed. 

Stupid auto correct.  I meant what were they? Something you adapted to fit the tweets? Sorry for the confusion. But I didn't proofread before sending while on my lunchbreak.

Edited by Travis

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Stupid auto correct.  I meant what were they? Something you adapted to fit the tweets? Sorry for the confusion. But I didn't proofread before sending while on my lunchbreak.

No worries mang. I assumed that's what happened. 

The arm is a "Ram" brand mount for a fish finder and the cup is a 3" pvc cap. They have quite a few cool mounts that can be built using different parts. 

I am a big fan of ram mounts, they can take a beating.  I use one on both my snowmobiles to mount a GPS.  For testing aiming that is a stellar idea.  You can tell how robust they are by this mount.

HSIEudx.jpg

And yes, I beat the snot out of the sled.  Airborn it goes!

That's brilliant! May look into this

23 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I am a big fan of ram mounts, they can take a beating.  I use one on both my snowmobiles to mount a GPS.  For testing aiming that is a stellar idea.  You can tell how robust they are by this mount.

HSIEudx.jpg

And yes, I beat the snot out of the sled.  Airborn it goes!

I jammed down a wash boarded road the day after installation to make sure they stayed put. short of jiggling a little they never lost the set placement. Win win

A few details for anyone unfamiliar with these mounts. The balls are rubber, so can really be clamped down. They come in composite material or aluminum. These particular ones have a 1" ball, but are available in larger ball sizes if one needed a really fucking heavy duty mount. Cheers!

With a 12" depth finder on a Ranger 521vx that would easily hit 75mph the 1" ball almost always held tight.  Occasionally when leaping over 50' cruisers wakes all day and getting the whole boat a long ways out of the water many times it would slightly inch down...but even then it was barely noticeable.  On my snowmobile with that light 5" (or 6" on my other sled) it never moves at all.  On that I clear roads regularly so it isn't like I am driving down a highway lol.  They are really impressive mounts.