Getta_01

Looking for next step recommendations.

Hello there, my name is Mark.

I Would like some input on best options for continuing to improve my electrical system. I am not satisfied with the way things are performing now. Seems like my voltage is very inconsistent and that there is way too much draw at higher volumes. No I have not hooked a volt meter up to see what the voltage has been. However, the dimming of interior and exterior lights have been a good indication something more is needed. 

Here is a list of what's already completed.  Thanks in advance for all input and help. 

Vehicle: 2001 Vw Jetta GLX 12v VR6

Audio Components

Headunit: Pioneer Premier P980BT

Amplifier: Soundstream TA5.1250

Front Components: Audison Voce AV K6

Rear Coax: Audison Voce AV X6. 5

Subwoofer: Fosgate  T1D215

Electrical

Battery : Group 41, 75 month, 560 CCA 

240 amp Alternator 

0g Big 3

0g Power & Ground (from battery to amp) 

Skyhigh Car Audio Cooper Battery Terminals 

Edited by Getta_01
Added vehicle.

I would get a DMM and voltmeter to measure draw to know exactly what you are dealing with. Then replace stock battery under hood with an AGM Battery if you haven't already. 

You need a larger battery.  HO alts are great, but they cannot provide instantaneous current like a battery or capacitor, and virtually no 12V capacitor will work properly anyways, so yeah. 

You NEED to be able to measure voltage.   That's the only way you will be able to get this sorted out properly.

Appreciate the input guys. My DMM died, so I will track down another this wknd and see what it tells me. Should I  test voltage at the amplifier and battery?

I had contemplated upgrading to an AGM battery and potentially a slightly smaller second battery. 

Voltage will be the same at either point as it is in parallel, so which ever is easier to measure at.

In all my build i always install an external voltage meter it helps me to bump better at stop signs :)

I like to use this with some two way tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SVMB-Voltage-Gauge-Discontinued/dp/B001HEE8IS

but I agree with tirefryr the bottle neck would be your battery. 

I’m not convinced that you don’t have a wiring/connection issue. The amp you have is rated for 75x4@4 ohms (class a/b)  + 325x1@4, 500x1@2 or 750x1@1 ohm (class d). I have a difficult time believing that that amp is drawing more than your upgraded electrical can handle. 

Granted the lighting in some vehicles can really exaggerate the voltage drop and you definitely need to verify just how bad the drop is but I’m thinking you have a connection issue somewhere. 

For instance my wife’s Traverse is running a Zapco ST-4D bridged and an Arc Audio XDi2000.1 @ 1 ohm on all stock electrical (180A alt and stock group 48 600cca wet cell battery) with only minor dimming on the hardest bass lines. It didn’t really even start dimming until recently as the battery has gotten weak and is in need of being replaced. 

An AGM replacement battery is still a great idea and highly recommended by us all though. 

Edited by altoncustomtech

If this happens above idle you have 2 problems.  The first being an electrical issue and the second your gains are turned up too far.