Roshan

Bass cancellation

Hi guys please can you assist I have a Isuzu super cab with one 12 inch dvc sub. My bass sounds better with the doors open. What could cause this? How can I fix this. I have tried a slot port box and a ported box. Same result . What next ?

What you mean ported box and slot ported box? Are you referring to an aero? And both designs would work but from what little info is there doors open is your cabin extending the port. Which means your enclosure may not be designed properly. Do you have dims for enclosure and tuning? Also what sub is it and what kind of power? And lasty welcome to SSA the best audio forum on the webz!

Do you have time alignment? Have you tried flipping the polarity on the sub? Can you aim/move the sub?

welcome to SSA!!

Being that it's only one 12" sub it is common for a small cabin to have what appears to be gains when a window is down or a door is open. If it were a much larger system with more subs or power I would question the design of the enclosure -vs- the cabin space of the vehicle.

Since it's a single sub on unknown rms wattage & ect. it is nearly impossible to adjust any calculations off of the information you have given. 

Sub model, rms wattage, charging system specifications, enclosure volume, port size & length (tuning). Would be needed to even begin to make an assumption as to what might help out.

Edited by Jay-C76

3 hours ago, Jay-C76 said:

Being that it's only one 12" sub it is common for a small cabin to have what appears to be gains when a window is down or a door is open. If it were a much larger system with more subs or power I would question the design of the enclosure -vs- the cabin space of the vehicle.

Since it's a single sub on unknown rms wattage & ect. it is nearly impossible to adjust any calculations off of the information you have given. 

Sub model, rms wattage, charging system specifications, enclosure volume, port size & length (tuning). Would be needed to even begin to make an assumption as to what might help out.

Is that a bad thing if it seems louder with a window down as oppose to all windows up ?

6 hours ago, ManzKea said:

Is that a bad thing if it seems louder with a window down as oppose to all windows up ?

Depends on if your asking the person in the car next to you or not.

Lol.

Most setups iv ever been in are louder with window or door open. Only a few were louder with it sealed up

My astro had no difference with door open or door closed. The 8 18 icons in the 4th order. Thing was a freak of nature.

You could have cancellation issues, but you will only be able to find this out via measurements. 

The issue here is once you load the enclosure and driver into the vehicle, the cabin becomes another air spring on the driver.   When you open a window or door, the pressure is reduced or relieved and the driver can move further, which means more air is excited which means more boom boom.  Some systems are just so ridiculous, that they overcome this affect with sheer power.  It's akin to overcoming speed limited drag by increasing power.

:WELCOME: