Sign in to follow this  
dale315

2009 SSA ICON 10" D2

I have an Icon 10" from 2009. Can anyone tell me what gen model this is and the rated RMS? Also are the enclosure recommendations on the website for the current icon about the same? Thanks in advance.

Great sub.  That is right around a model update.  Can you post a picture and I can tell you right away?  Enclosures have stayed pretty much the same from day 1.

Side note, on a future model, I will decreasing enclosure size a little.

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Great sub.  That is right around a model update.  Can you post a picture and I can tell you right away?  Enclosures have stayed pretty much the same from day 1.

Side note, on a future model, I will decreasing enclosure size a little.

I'll need to get a picture of it later. But it has the red and white logo bubble dust cap and pole vent on the magnet.

46 minutes ago, dale315 said:

I'll need to get a picture of it later. But it has the red and white logo bubble dust cap and pole vent on the magnet.

Triple stack motor structure?

The Icon has been rated between 900-1250rms over the years, so the difference isn't enough to worry about to be honest.  Are oyu asking in terms of amplifier to use on it?

7 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Triple stack motor structure?

The Icon has been rated between 900-1250rms over the years, so the difference isn't enough to worry about to be honest.  Are oyu asking in terms of amplifier to use on it?

Yes, triple stack. Exactly, I know there were different RMS ratings but was just curious what this one had in terms of what power to throw at it.

1 minute ago, dale315 said:

Yes, triple stack. Exactly, I know there were different RMS ratings but was just curious what this one had in terms of what power to throw at it.

Give it 1000 and call it a day.  Doesn't need that much.  I have run much less for extended periods.

2 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Give it 1000 and call it a day.  Doesn't need that much.  I have run much less for extended periods.

Thanks Aaron. I'm planning on running it on the smaller side with a 1 cube net ported box. I read if I go smaller on the box that it could take more power, but does that necessarily mean I need more power for it to sound good, or is that just a benefit?

One of my favorite subs...

Stick with 1cf3..... try and get the port velocity down to at least 8%

Best design of the Icon to date. 1000 -1500rms daily on a well designed enclosure. Stay with the 1cf for the 10" net. Actually ran 2300rms on a 15" for over a year with not one issue. Truck engine died and sub still lives on!

Thanks for all the input. I might've confused you guys as I'm not trying to go lower than 1 ft^3, but shooting for a 1 ft^3 net box with an aeroport. Just wondering if I have to compensate with more power or if I'm losing out on anything by not going bigger to the optimal size of 1.5 ft^3. 

18 hours ago, dale315 said:

Thanks Aaron. I'm planning on running it on the smaller side with a 1 cube net ported box. I read if I go smaller on the box that it could take more power, but does that necessarily mean I need more power for it to sound good, or is that just a benefit?

Smaller box = less efficient.  So yes, if you shrink the box a good amount, it will be able to soak up a little more than we rate them at normally.  More power will not effect the sound.

1 hour ago, dale315 said:

Thanks for all the input. I might've confused you guys as I'm not trying to go lower than 1 ft^3, but shooting for a 1 ft^3 net box with an aeroport. Just wondering if I have to compensate with more power or if I'm losing out on anything by not going bigger to the optimal size of 1.5 ft^3. 

You are not losing out too much at all.  The optimal boxes are more kind of my preference, in terms of if you have the space, clean power and want fairly flat response.