Sign in to follow this  
dale315

Sub options for 2017 Dodge Challenger

I have a '17 Challenger I want to add some bass to as I only have the 6-speaker factory Alpine system with no subs.

I'm back and forth with what I want to run as far as sub stage and need some advice. The goal is for good SQ while still getting a little SPL. I have a little over 2 cubes max in the trunk, but I'd rather use less than that. I also want a lightweight setup as I'm looking to have a birch enclosure made for it and would want the smallest setup possible that fits my goals.

I wanted to try a ported single 8" but can't seem to find any good examples in trunk setups which makes me think it wouldn't be worth it, and just step up to a 10". I have about 900-12000rms to play with on the amp. 

I've been eyeing the following 8"s for a .5-.75ft^3 ported box

-Soundqubed HDS2.108

-Sundown SA-8

-SSA F8L

I also have laying around an early model SSA Icon 10" or Sundown reconed Stereo Integrity BM 10" that I was thinking of having a 1ft^3 net ported box done.

Any advice or direction is appreciated.

Not to discourage trying something new, but you do already gave a couple nice options there (especially the icon)...  Leads me to the thought of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Any particular reason you don't want to run the icon?

And what are the dimensions you have to work with?

Edited by nigel

A single ported 8 takes a huge box.  Sealed 12 will take less.  I flat out don't understand single 8's.  Run the Icon you have and be happy, it is great.

44 minutes ago, nigel said:

Not to discourage trying something new, but you do already gave a couple nice options there (especially the icon)...  Leads me to the thought of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Any particular reason you don't want to run the icon?

And what are the dimensions you have to work with?

Just wanted to try something with a smaller footprint. I'm looking to save as much weight and space with this setup.

Max dimensions are 31.5"L x 12"D x 12"H. 

11 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

A single ported 8 takes a huge box.  Sealed 12 will take less.  I flat out don't understand single 8's.  Run the Icon you have and be happy, it is great.

I get what you're saying. I think with the ported 8, the wow factor of it seems cool and always wanted to try one.

Single 8 won't save a lot of space if you run it ported. If you do sealed then I understand.. But of course u can buy something new if u have the itch for it

I vote run the Icon you have now, then we figure out how you like the performance and adjust the box and tuning from there. :)

16 hours ago, dale315 said:

Just wanted to try something with a smaller footprint. I'm looking to save as much weight and space with this setup.

Max dimensions are 31.5"L x 12"D x 12"H. 

With those max dimensions, assuming using 3/4 inch wood you have a gross internal volume of 1.91 cubic feet.  After subtracting port, driver and bracing displacement, you should have no issues coming in around the 1.5 cubic feet i believe that icon likes for a ported enclosure (i could be wrong on what is recommended)