Chad L

Saab 900 system

I’m try to install a system in an old Saab 900. Im currently adding active crossovers and EQ sound processors. Still learning to get a nice setting that’s clean but not thin. Finding how to EQ the sub channel. Any advice? I post a picture or two if I can

111CCE1D-CAF7-4272-BEAD-FA01F3CECBEE.jpeg

Pic of one sub 3 amps extra battery and sound processor 

Dude!  Nice work, but you need to rip everything out and start from scratch!  That's the ONLY way to get that straight.

WOW, the look of that build takes me way back. lol

My suggestion for eq'ing the sub would be cut offensive frequencies first. You know, the one's booming over everything. Once that's trimmed and you can hear all the other notes, smooth accordingly.

Welcome to SSA. Love the classic #SAAB.  As for the system, not sure your goals as you have a lot going on.

Thanks I found listening to the sub while adjusting Works but was hoping for a frequency bar graph sound meter setting. The goal is super loud super clear classical to hip hop. 

D5B52FB6-C9BE-4391-804E-20E6CB79AB98.png

By ear is the only way you're going to get it done, unless you have testing equipment?

Even if you model the subs In a program, the in car response will be different due to cabin gain.

An example would be my current setup. In the modeling program the output is down 6 dB at 32 Hz (Sealed box). In the car it is up at least 6dbs. So even though it models with low output in that range, I have to EQ it down to sound level with the rest of the sub frequencies. Voila! sweet music to the ears!

The other option is download some test tones and use them to find the offensive frequencies. :)

Thanks I was hoping more speakers would help mid bass but after getting the EQ sound processor and crossovers the information was to tune 250 down. This cleaned up the sound and allowed higher volume but over done can sound thin even with strong subs. Tweaking sub EQ I got more depth and richness with good sub power nicer mid bass  and lower power usage. Was wondering if there was a set formula on where to bump up or lower sub EQ. I’m finding the sound processor filters sound better than the ones on the amps or head unit. Is that accurate?

photo of the second battery install and power/amps meter 

E8692546-3CA9-4346-BED9-E201E327FDD0.jpeg

The best setup for clarity and sound will always be to not have more than one driver playing midrange and above.  At the same time, all speakers need to be in the front of the car to be effective.

I read that opinion before. I think it’s an old out dated idea.  I made a switch panel to switch amps on or off in 4 different configurations sometimes just to save power. It sounds better with everything balanced. Sometimes I exaggerate the time delay from right to left and subs and it’s crazy cool. 7.1 vs stereo I guess. 

Green is 4 channel 800 watt amp to 4 rear speakers. Yellow is a 600 watt 4 channel to two rear and 4 mid speakers in the back seat area and a 1200 watt monoblock to one sub. Blue is all front speakers one amp per door and one for the dash. Red is the other sub on a 2200 watt amp that has hopefully 1200 minimum at 2 ohms. Another 4 channel amp is used to bi amp the tweeters for the JBL and Run a pair of Martin Logan electrostatic555FC09B-041D-4050-B28E-4EA8CD5A8229.thumb.jpeg.7b82e0d336c4812f41605dde2a529581.jpeg

I win.  I tapped out first.

HEY, don't give me your Saab story!! :lol:

seriously though, you are dealing with a lot of different acoustical physics. If your going about with the eq, I would suggest watching a few YouTube vids of how studio producers cut and boost the kind of music you listen to. 

Otherwise here's a chart that gives the discriptive sounds along the bottom. https://www.audio-issues.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/main_chart.jpg

Thanks I am checking for YouTube videos I’ll try that. Saab story is true. The first thing I ran into was most everything does not fit this vehicle being fitted with 4x10 in the back and 4 in the front. That motivated me to fabricate new front dash speaker defrost grills and got a component Alpine to fit. The unusual small magnet on that speaker made it just fit by luck. I had chosen Alpine thinking it was vintage of the Saab era 

CC89CC62-5F29-4C4B-BDC4-45D60CA9D3FE.jpeg

C70141BE-9336-4778-9925-518CE616A9D1.jpeg

Thanks I was hoping more speakers would help mid bass but after getting the EQ sound processor and crossovers the information was to tune 250 down. This cleaned up the sound and allowed higher volume but over done can sound thin even with strong subs. Tweaking sub EQ I got more depth and richness with good sub power nicer mid bass  and lower power usage. Was wondering if there was a set formula on where to bump up or lower sub EQ. I’m finding the sound processor filters sound better than the ones on the amps or head unit. Is that accurate?

photo of the second battery install and power/amps meter 

Got the 2nd active crossover to add for the front. I wasn’t sure where to put it but I’m pretty happy with how the install turned out location is out of the way and visible close to power and connections. Sounds very nice at 90db with lots more to give. With the processor and crossovers it’s now much harder to destroy a speaker no distortion from getting popped too hard. 

4E68FA87-F924-4C29-A1B4-A260BBBA3304.jpeg

2 hours ago, Chad L said:

Thanks I was hoping more speakers would help mid bass

Regularly it will hurt midbass.

2 hours ago, Chad L said:

188FCE3C-9C28-45FA-A20C-3E6F8EBE1A26.png

That RTA curve is not showing you anything useful.  Try a reproducibility measurement once and you will see why.

I’m pretty sure it’s telling plenty you may not be able to understand it tho. I’ll Help you with a link. You’re not helping this blog by posting BS with all of your comments. You’re neither informative or interesting 

5F65645D-82BF-47B0-866C-AFC8DB15FE08.png

With the beginner guide to this forum to conduct I didn’t expect to be trolled but I can handle it. I do feel sad for you. The purpose is to have something interesting or informative. Any posts like that won’t work without a good explanation shows as trolling. If that makes you special enjoy trolling your easy to mute. The system is truly awesome. A monster and audiophile worthy. Is it the best? No. Can it be better? Always. Show better. 

49AD39BA-7156-4469-A45E-D0B13F2FE183.jpeg