Sign in to follow this  
SS Teacher

Pop goes the tinsel

I was playing "Clearest Blue" by  CHVRCHES and it was pounding, in a moment of foolishness, I pumped up the sub out volume on my HU and the sub was putting out some serious bass and then nothing.  My fears were confirmed when I pulled the XCON 10 yesterday and saw the broken tinsel lead.  I knew I didn't cook the coil as I didn't smell anything, in fact, the coil looked perfect.  I do NOT want to do this again.  I've had the XCON for over 2 years now and it's in a box designed by SSA.  I've fed it with a Rockford Fosgate T-500 bd, then a PPI Black Ice 5000 (1700 watts rms @ 2 ohm (per  manufacturer (yes, I know that number is grossly over inflated)), and finally on a Rocford Fosgate T-1500 BDcP.  I know the 1000 or so rms @ 2 ohm didn't stess the sub thermally, but it has a subsonic filter set at 28hz and my box is tuned to 33hz.  Could that have played a role in the failure?  I picked up a PRV 1200 watt at 4 ohm amp for a great price.  Would I be better off using the PRV because I can set the subsonic filter to 32hz?  My recone is dual 2 so I can run it at 1 ohm on the T-1500 for about 1800 RMS, or I can run it at 4 ohm on the PRV at 1200 watts.  I know I wouldn't be able to hear the difference with that little of a power difference.  Advice?  Oh, I fully understand not to push the sub output on the HU past flat! Hahahahahaha

Im sure A-a-ron will chime in once he sees it. But i stopped by to say sorry man. That is rough. But such a sexy coil right. Lol. I had a customer cut into there spider(not sure what they were doing) and woofer was 2 weeks old. And so I was able to pull it apart and it had such a pretty coil.

7 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

I was playing "Clearest Blue" by  CHVRCHES and it was pounding, in a moment of foolishness, I pumped up the sub out volume on my HU and the sub was putting out some serious bass and then nothing.  My fears were confirmed when I pulled the XCON 10 yesterday and saw the broken tinsel lead.  I knew I didn't cook the coil as I didn't smell anything, in fact, the coil looked perfect.  I do NOT want to do this again.  I've had the XCON for over 2 years now and it's in a box designed by SSA.  I've fed it with a Rockford Fosgate T-500 bd, then a PPI Black Ice 5000 (1700 watts rms @ 2 ohm (per  manufacturer (yes, I know that number is grossly over inflated)), and finally on a Rocford Fosgate T-1500 BDcP.  I know the 1000 or so rms @ 2 ohm didn't stess the sub thermally, but it has a subsonic filter set at 28hz and my box is tuned to 33hz.  Could that have played a role in the failure?  I picked up a PRV 1200 watt at 4 ohm amp for a great price.  Would I be better off using the PRV because I can set the subsonic filter to 32hz?  My recone is dual 2 so I can run it at 1 ohm on the T-1500 for about 1800 RMS, or I can run it at 4 ohm on the PRV at 1200 watts.  I know I wouldn't be able to hear the difference with that little of a power difference.  Advice?  Oh, I fully understand not to push the sub output on the HU past flat! Hahahahahaha

I'll queue up that song to check it out as I like CHVRCHES.  (#closethipster)  Those coils are nuts, when pushing the sub past it's limits, we will have mechanical before thermal break down.  Can I ask how you set your gains?  We have people with double the power with out failures, so it is something else.  How bad is the lead damaged?  Did the Xcon look like it was unloading when you were hammering away?  I personally would suggest the RF with more power over the PRV.  Honestly feel the performance/quality is not a fair comparison.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:10 PM, Infinite913 said:

Im sure A-a-ron will chime in once he sees it. But i stopped by to say sorry man. That is rough. But such a sexy coil right. Lol. I had a customer cut into there spider(not sure what they were doing) and woofer was 2 weeks old. And so I was able to pull it apart and it had such a pretty coil.

The 2+ year old coil looked just as beautiful as the coil on the recone I ordered!  Love, love, love my XCON.

On 3/2/2018 at 5:14 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

I'll queue up that song to check it out as I like CHVRCHES.  (#closethipster)  Those coils are nuts, when pushing the sub past it's limits, we will have mechanical before thermal break down.  Can I ask how you set your gains?  We have people with double the power with out failures, so it is something else.  How bad is the lead damaged?  Did the Xcon look like it was unloading when you were hammering away?  I personally would suggest the RF with more power over the PRV.  Honestly feel the performance/quality is not a fair comparison.

The tinsel completely ripped apart right at the area where the shrink wrap stopped.  I didn't take pictures and I've already cut out the cone and cleaned up the basket for the recone, sorry.  I've never had an amp (I don't think I'll count the cheap PPI) that ran over a 1,000 watts, nor have I ever run a ported box before; I have no doubt something was off on the settings.  I'm going to read a few articles and/or watch a few videos before I reset the settings.  As to the unloading question, I can't see the sub as the enclosure (which SSA designed (and I LOVE)) is downward firing to keep the sub safe from prying eyes and stray kayak paddles.  It sounded great, louder than ever before, and then the tinsel popped.

3 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

The tinsel completely ripped apart right at the area where the shrink wrap stopped.  I didn't take pictures and I've already cut out the cone and cleaned up the basket for the recone, sorry.  I've never had an amp (I don't think I'll count the cheap PPI) that ran over a 1,000 watts, nor have I ever run a ported box before; I have no doubt something was off on the settings.  I'm going to read a few articles and/or watch a few videos before I reset the settings.  As to the unloading question, I can't see the sub as the enclosure (which SSA designed (and I LOVE)) is downward firing to keep the sub safe from prying eyes and stray kayak paddles.  It sounded great, louder than ever before, and then the tinsel popped.

Is there any clearance issues or possible chance of impact from something getting under the box?

On 3/5/2018 at 11:18 AM, Aaron Clinton said:

Is there any clearance issues or possible chance of impact from something getting under the box?

No, I have plenty of clearance.  I checked out the tinsel and the one that broke is discolored and the spider is burnt.  I guess the tinsel burnt?  Weird...