Sign in to follow this  
ncc74656

rockford midbass drivers?

Buy a set of those, sell on CL and then use the money to buy real drivers.

can you give me an example of a driver you would use in such a situation? just so i can see its specs and features to kinda know what IS and what isn't? 

I gave two examples of worthy 10" midbasses on the first page. Designed for a small enclosure, high xmax, strong motor force, low coil inductance. 

As far as sensitivity... Why do you think all companies don't just make high efficiency speakers only?  I will give a clue. What sounds are audible at times in a speaker and are undesirable, other than the original signal being play through it?

Home speakers have extra design steps to eliminate THESE undireable sounds (insert awnser from above here) AND publish what has be done to accomplish such tasks. a car sub that falls flat on its face at 200hz will have THESE undireable sounds playing louder than the source material at that point.  if you still haven't guessed it cross your subwoofer over super high and see what you hear. :)

its distortion, muddy frequencies that sound like audio passing through water

sorry i missed those speakers. yea i have used peerless before and thought they sounded great... i didn't see them on partsexpress tho as they are listed as subwoofers and not woofers so i had them excluded from my search.

they have a fairly low f3 which i thought would be undesirable if used in a  2 way system (although if I'm sealing an enclosure with them perhaps that wont matter as much?)

the graph free air response is pretty smooth through the midbass range. ill look into those guys a bit more and see what winisd says. i like the power handling and they look beefy as frig...

The peerless models beautifully but may not be that great if you are sticking with a two-way, due to roll off from inductance.  Sadly I know you won't be happy with the output of a full ranger either, even on axis.

see what you think of this guy.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-10-woofers/satori-wo24p-4-9.5-egyptian-?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjJXHtY3r2QIVj7rACh0LVwjLEAQYASABEgLQ__D_BwE

Should work well with  a beefy tweeter that digs low enough. 

I will add if you really want output in the midbass range from a 2-way, a ported enclosure is an plausible option.

Personally I think sealed with enough power to eq the midbass is the correct recipe. That and the Q can be matched to the cabin response.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I am working on some ported and sealed boxes to test this. So we will see. :)

On 3/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, Randal Johnson said:

Look into Beyma drivers (if they still exist). Had a demo vehicle parked by me at Daytona one year. I have to admit, I liked their sound. 

Remember giving a great suggestion, which is something I never do on forums. 

Again, ported enclosure and a real pro audio driver...not some car audio nonsense compromise.  If you can't do the enclosure than kiss your goals into compromise mode.  And no, regrettably nothing you can get "deals" on will do what you need.

I'm absolutely up for making an enclosure, ive built many for subs and home but ive never built such a thing into a car door before so that's my only challenge. I'm fine with it taking a few attempts tho so what ever. just need to decide on drivers and where they need to be placed