so damping factor as i understand it is the ability to control the sub once it starts playing something, to keep its movement in check. i see numbers all over the board between amp manufactures so I'm lead to believe its kinda like contrast ratios on TV's where there isn't an industry standard to measure by, is that correct?  at my work training i have been told that you want at least 500 damping factory to be effective an controlling any speaker over 10" in size but this dosent make sense to me and given its coming from a rep of a company that lists all their amps around 500 damping... well...

can anyone lay this out a bit simpler or provide some "trusted" literature on the topic?

Even easier.  Ignore it.  It isn't 1960 anymore and it is largely irrelevant.

Conduct a test for yourself and others at your shop.  Set up two amps of equal power with different damping factors and see who can guess which one provides better cone control. 

Next time that rep comes in ask him what  he thinks about cone control on smaller drivers.  Why do you never hear it mentioned for smaller drivers where diaphragm control needs to be even more precise.  Let us know what he says.

Sorry, I should have put "control."