Sign in to follow this  
zeero3

10 Years and an Untouched SI Mag

Ok, well after 10 years, I'm back and I came straight back here.  First off, I want to say I'm happy this company, community, and forum is still around. I got a ton of help 10 years ago and I learned so much. Seeing the SSA store over the past week and browsing the forum brought me back. I already learned so much but see that I need to learn so much more.

As the title suggests, I'm getting back into car audio with only an untouched SI Magnum I bought based on recommendations back in 2008. However, I now have a 2016 Honda Accord and some money to spend on a simple SQ system. The car has a stock 4 speaker system, and frankly, it sucks.  I'm stuck at understanding what I can and can't do keeping my stock head unit and using a LOC. Is it possible to go with a 6.5" component set up in the front, a pair of something for the rear deck (I have no idea what to put there), and a single subwoofer and still keep the stock head unit all while NOT using cheap passive crossovers?  If I want a pair of speakers in the rear deck, does that mean I must go with passive crossover components to get it all on a single 4 channel amp?  I've seen a few recommend not even putting anything in the rear deck.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/information. I promise to keep this thread going with updates in the build process....

Through the use of an loc you will be relying on either getting a processor unit that you can use to set crossover points or using the built in crossover network on whatever amp you choose.  Either way, you can ditch the passive crossovers this way through having a 4 channel running your front stage with tweets and mids all on seperate channels.

You really don't need rear fill.  Especially if you design your front stage properly, having speakers running behind you just messes with imaging.  If you are insisting on keeping something there, just leave the stock rears in place running off of the factory deck you're maintaining.  You'll fast notice though with a good front stage, you will be fading all the way to the front and not using the rears.  So my suggestion is don't spend any money there.  It's not worth it.

Thanks a lot Nigel. Not using the rear fill seems like something I’ve noticed a lot since I’ve been back lurking on the forums. I’ll take your advice and stop trying to feel like I need to find speakers for the rear. That also simplifies things a lot.

Are there any suggestions for LOCs that work well with both a 4 channel and a mono amp? Also I’ve noticed many car audio builds on here have 2000W plus going to the subwoofer. Does anyone have experience with systems that have about 1kW to the sub and maybe 500W to the front stage? Does the big 3 upgrade usually handle the voltage drop or is more usually needed?