boweasel

Joined Just To Ask About iPod Adapter

I've been all over the internet with this.  I anyone here has a workable solution, then this forum is better than any of the other half dozen places I've contacted.  

I have a 2012 Nissan Sentra that has the factory installed radio/CD player.  It does not have any USB ports for playing music.  What it does have is an iPod port.  Not a port that you plug an iPod into directly - rather a port (inside the console) that requires a cable to be plugged into it, with the iPod itself plugged into the other end of the cable.

I do not have an iPod, nor do I have any plans to hunt one down.  It seems like obsolete technology that is incredibly overpriced compared to the current price of USB sticks.  But the real problem is the constant duplicating of media I have to do.  My car can only play CDs, while my wife's car has no CD player - only USB ports.

It seems like there should be some technology that will let me use that iPod port to play the music on our many USB thumb drives.  

There's not.  Apple's technology, is proprietary to Apple, programming wise.  It can be hacked, but it's not yet proven to be monetarily necessary, so nobody has done it, well at least on a marketable scale. 

You have a six-year-old vehicle with technology that was designed another 5 or 6 years before the vehicle even came out as well.  It sucks to say, but your best bet is an aftermarket head unit.  It will give you everything you need and then some and be cheaper and easier than attempting to bastardize a solution for the factory hard and software.

I have “Windows Media Audio / Video on a pair of Gorilla flash drives. These are mainly used on my aftermarket Kenwood DNX9980HD head unit. My Kenwood has “IPod 1 and IPod 2” on the USB inputs, but plays the audio and video with no problems. 

Now with that being said, my wife has a 2013 Chevy Cruze. It’s all factory with that USB port in the center console similar to what you have listed. I can plug in either one of those flash drives to the Cruze and play the audio with no problems. Just harder to navigate, but works. 

Maybe you just have to try different programs to make things work. I don’t use apple for anything. 

Hope this helps ...

Edited by Randal Johnson
Spelling

2 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

I have “Windows Media Audio / Video on a pair of Gorilla flash drives. These are mainly used on my aftermarket Kenwood DNX9980HD head unit. My Kenwood has “IPod 1 and IPod 2” on the USB inputs, but plays the audio and video with no problems. 

Now with that being said, my wife has a 2013 Chevy Cruze. It’s all factory with that USB port in the center console similar to what you have listed. I can plug in either one of those flash drives to the Cruze and play the audio with no problems. Just harder to navigate, but works. 

Maybe you just have to try different programs to make things work. I don’t use apple for anything. 

Hope this helps ...

Randal

https://www.amazon.ca/Infinity-Inter.../dp/B00BBHN0RQ

This picture shows the cable I have to plug into my iPod port.  The connector on the right is what goes into my console.  The connector on the left is what plugs into an iPod.  There is nothing vaguely USB-ish about either end of the cable, nor is there anything on the head unit that could be mistaken for a USB port.  It's got an aux port that seems to useless for music, although once when I had a CD stuck in the player I connected an old Sony Walkman to that port with the other end plugged into the headphone jack on the Walkman.  The CD in the Walkman played fine in the car's audio system, but I don't see how that can help me play a USB stick. 

Oh dang bro, ain’t seen nothing like that. Sorry I wasn’t much help.

22 hours ago, boweasel said:

Randal

https://www.amazon.ca/Infinity-Inter.../dp/B00BBHN0RQ

This picture shows the cable I have to plug into my iPod port.  The connector on the right is what goes into my console.  The connector on the left is what plugs into an iPod.  There is nothing vaguely USB-ish about either end of the cable, nor is there anything on the head unit that could be mistaken for a USB port.  It's got an aux port that seems to useless for music, although once when I had a CD stuck in the player I connected an old Sony Walkman to that port with the other end plugged into the headphone jack on the Walkman.  The CD in the Walkman played fine in the car's audio system, but I don't see how that can help me play a USB stick. 

When you say aux jack your referencing the 3.5mm? If so nvx makes an adapter that you can put in your cig lighter location and plug the 3.5mm from adapter to the car and bluetooth the signal to your radio. This is how i have bluetooth done in my van. As for strictly usb I would also recommend what fishmonger said.

8 hours ago, fishmonger said:

Cut off the Ipod connector. Buy  male and female USB connectors and solder according to this pinout http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml. I have done a few cables like this. 

While I'm sure that your link makes perfect sense to you, it's pretty much incomprehensible to me.  It's not some easy-to-follow soldering diagram you sent me.  Maybe if I get the cable and take it and the link to an electrician friend of mine, he'll know what to do.

12 hours ago, fishmonger said:

Here's the reply I got from the seller at Amazon (regarding playing music from a USB stick on the device
you suggested): 
Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, it won't work with this kind of adapter.
The adapter supports charging and data sync only

I don't know why you were told it won't work. If your electrician friend has the correct equipment he should be able to figure out the correct pinout quickly. If not Tirefryr has the best idea, change the radio.

14 hours ago, fishmonger said:

I don't know why you were told it won't work. If your electrician friend has the correct equipment he should be able to figure out the correct pinout quickly. If not Tirefryr has the best idea, change the radio.

The quote I gave you about it not working was from the Amazon link you sent me

Welcome to SSA.

So I get an email that someone was replied to my question.... Finally, I think, I'm going to get an easy solution to the USB problem.

I eagerly click on the link, enable the link, click on it again... and am presented with a 'Welcome to SSA' message.  That's it.  Nothing else.  Just welcome to the forum.

Thanks.  My life is now complete.