Monoblock amp - is it necessary?

Hi

Looking for some help with this please - on whether I should expand:

I have the following setup:
- Sony headunit (not sure what model but it its only 25w x 4 with ~2v preouts
- Alpine MRV F300
- Alpine SPX 17PRO component set
- Alpine SBR S8 4 subwoofer

I have connected the SPX 17 PRO set to two channels of the F300 amplifier. I have bridged the other two channels of the F300 and connected this to the subwoofer (only 150W RMS). I don't play my music at or near the full volume often. Would you recommend adding a monoblock to the system (maybe Alpine M500) to drive the amplifier? I don't often have anyone in the back seat so have not put another set in there for now. But if I do get a monoblock amplifier to drive the subwoofer I will likely hook up another set of 6.5inch speakers for the back. This is in a small hatchback.

Thanks in advance all!

30 minutes ago, MINUS86 said:

Hi

Looking for some help with this please - on whether I should expand:

I have the following setup:
- Sony headunit (not sure what model but it its only 25w x 4 with ~2v preouts
- Alpine MRV F300
- Alpine SPX 17PRO component set
- Alpine SBR S8 4 subwoofer

I have connected the SPX 17 PRO set to two channels of the F300 amplifier. I have bridged the other two channels of the F300 and connected this to the subwoofer (only 150W RMS). I don't play my music at or near the full volume often. Would you recommend adding a monoblock to the system (maybe Alpine M500) to drive the amplifier? I don't often have anyone in the back seat so have not put another set in there for now. But if I do get a monoblock amplifier to drive the subwoofer I will likely hook up another set of 6.5inch speakers for the back. This is in a small hatchback.

Thanks in advance all!

Hard to say, do you find yourself needing more bass? 

1 minute ago, Liro213 said:

Hard to say, do you find yourself needing more bass? 

I do want more bass - at least doesn't match up to the comments online on the specific subwoofer - I know its only an 8 - but some reviewers noted it as being equivalent to a 10. Its a 300W RMS sub and I'm only sending 150W RMS to it - likely the reason? I think there'll be value in replacing the headunit too.

Box is most likely the reason or false expectations.

You can add a mono amp, but don't bother with the rears.  

8 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

^^^^^ This. If you do get a monoblock amplifier for your subwoofer. Bridge your 4 channel amplifier to your front components and turn the gain down.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

52 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

^^^^^ This. If you do get a monoblock amplifier for your subwoofer. Bridge your 4 channel amplifier to your front components and turn the gain down.

Thanks both. JCarter - literally thought of doing that 2mins before I read your post. Great idea to use the remaining channels. Mono it is!

Also looking to add an Alpine BT head unit. (huge fan of alpine in case you never noticed LOL).

Thanks

Edited by MINUS86

12 minutes ago, MINUS86 said:

huge fan of alpine in case you never noticed.

We noticed. LOL

Welcome to SSA

22 hours ago, MINUS86 said:

Thanks both. JCarter - literally thought of doing that 2mins before I read your post. Great idea to use the remaining channels. Mono it is!

Also looking to add an Alpine BT head unit. (huge fan of alpine in case you never noticed LOL).

Thanks

Yes sir, post a build log man as we love to see pictures.

@jcarter1885 @Randal Johnson @///M5

Here you go lads - pictures attached (still a bit of cleaning up on the wiring to do! [using 16GA for the component woofers and 20GA for the tweeters - may upgrade the wiring]). Added the M500 mono and replaced the headunit with the UTE-62BT (The Pioneer DEH 80PRS was tempting though!!). I also added in a 150W 8in Bazooka I had laying around - hooking it up meant that I was able to use the 500W of the mono at 2OHM.

Giving a sub the right power.... priceless.

Feeling a void in the midrange (I said I've got enough - never seems to be the case with car audio) - but likely just need to play around with the x-overs - never really thought about not using amplifier x-overs for component sets. I always keep them on (cutting out anything below ~80hz) to protect the component woofers - even though there are hardware x-overs.

Thanks all!

DSC07656.thumb.JPG.09df3191bc35873a4c0c7d2d3f779dcc.JPG

DSC07655.thumb.JPG.b1db63ce735ba24552b8e24789ff7c60.JPG

Always had soft spot for alpine nice build

:woot:just what i was expecting, that you were going to add more power.