Tidbit96

Needing greater knowledge, then I currently posses, to fix puzzling system issue PLZ!

(reference: system is HDS.1 15" Soundqubed 1200RMS w/Orion Cobalt 2500.1D Amp in a 2003 Lincoln TC) Recently I posted bout headlight dimming, weather Big3 or capacitor may solve issue & got many great responses... The best bein bout batteries & the different types, however Im currently livin off expired bread & occasionally sharing dog food w/my neighbors dog that he gets LMAO it's not that bad but suffice it to say I can't afford a new battery that would probably solve the problem, but since I had extra 4ga. OFC from my last 2 installs, I did the big3 upgrade anyway, however didn't notice much difference.

Since this upgrade, roughly 2 weeks ago I've encountered a much more troubling issue. The other night I was bumpin at regular volume not too high, suddenly my sub kicks off, & amp goes to protection mode?!...(I experienced a similar situation shortly after my initial audio system install, after HRS of investigating, discovered the problem was in the enclosure I built Id used the common 3" Gold spring loaded double post speaker box terminal cup...the quality of the posts along w/paper thin male connecters on the inside weren't heavy duty enough to handle the 1200RMS that I was trying to feed it & the lock washers & nuts that secured the posts continually failed to stay tight but any tighter would strip the threads. I removed terminal & ran 10ga. directly to the speaker terminals & the last 5 months since the change I've had no issues other than the headlight dimming, hence the big3 upgrade attempt to fix it. However, since upgrade I've listened to it approx. 5-7 times. Now, just over a week since the big3 upgrade.... I can't help but think I did something wrong w/the upgrade especially since I practically uninstalled my entire audio system in attempt to find an issue that might fix the problem. But I've double, triple, (by now) probably even quadruple checked EVERYSINGLE connection & run of wire in my system & still same issue, I turn my car on, occasionally it goes straight to protection before a single beat hits, but the majority of the time it'll come on at least long enough to get a few lines into the first song, then click it's in protection mode just as fast as it came on.....

If anyone has ANY clue as to what the hell is causing this PLZ don't hold back any ideas or suggestions cuz I'm going nuts with 2 stock 6.5's & 6x9's as my only Audio in my car.... I apologise for the length of this post I'm just really frustrated & thought I'd better include all current & past issues, whatever may possibly help any1 arrive at a solution. cuz my broke ass is clueless, but desperate & extremely driven to solve & fix this problem. Thank you for any & all suggestions!

Check all your wires.  They are currently either lose or grounding out.

....and turn down your gain

Many years ago I had an Orion that would do the same thing.  I ran it in an under-voltage situation, blew some fuses, and after that it just never functioned properly;  very similar to what your amp is doing now.

On 10/9/2018 at 10:24 PM, Tirefryr said:

Many years ago I had an Orion that would do the same thing.  I ran it in an under-voltage situation, blew some fuses, and after that it just never functioned properly;  very similar to what your amp is doing now.

Really? I was bout at my last option which was, it HAS to be the Amp.... It was kinda in the back of my mind the whole time, the behavior just didn't resemble loose wire/connections...at 1st it seemed like the logical explanation from the way it 1st behaved...but I've now pulled out my sub 3 times rewiring it more securely every time & checked every other connection short of completely dismantling the entire system & starting over....my opinion began 2change quickly after the first time I rewired my sub & wires from box to Amp & turned it back on, it thumped so/so for 10-15 minutes, not as well as it did when first installed it, so I wasn't surprised when, not long after turning it on, it cut back out, only this time I could hear it lightly popping from my trunk so I left it on & popped the trunk to look at the Orion while it was still on & found it flashing from red(protection) back to blue in almost a rhythm or a constant beat like sound which would cause my sub to make a popping sound from the quick power surges in & out..... so I was pretty much at the same conclusion as what you mentioned.... does that resemble, at all, the behavior of your Orion by chance? I really appreciate the response though man, as much as it sux, the same time it's a relief to finally hear that I am not the 1st person who has experienced this with an Orion Amp. If you get a chance can you shoot me 1 more msg & let me know if this resembles your incident, much appreciated Brotha man! Big big help!

That's exactly what it would do, but it would come back on everytime I disconnected, then re-connected power.  Of course it would go right back into protect mode after a couple minutes.  The guy who repaired it said I damaged the protection circuitry.  HE bypassed this somehow and I used the amplifier for many years without issue after that.