Sign in to follow this  
Jacob11531

What test tone to tune amps with?

Hey guys, im confused as far as what test tones to tune amps with. Im getting confused when people use tones with +-db levels and not sure i should do the same. Have a sub amp and speaker amp. Any help is appreciated.

Test tones can only get you within a ball park of tuning.

Tune with your ears. Listen to your system, learn your system, test it's limits, know your system.

Edited by Randal Johnson

Well recorded music that you know well and well recorded music you dont know well.  Tones are silly.

Ill just try reg music since it you guys reccommended it to me. Just dont wanna blow system. One question however

I was told for my RF R500X1D amp to set bass knob 100% and leave gain and punch eq at 0 for time being. From there turn up the sub eq on my head unit till is sounds good then adjust gain then punch eq from there.

Is this method ok or not? I have read to never mess with eq settings on head unit and just leave them alone and only adjust amp. 

All help is greatly appreciated!

You can't just blindly do this.  You need to use your senses and TRY really hard to listen to anything that sounds distorted.  Listen to EACH driver independently as well.  Super hard to hear your mids distorting if your bass is redlined.

Yes, I highly suggest what Sean is saying.  Take your time, as the whole point is to make your ears happy with the music you like listening to.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:46 PM, Jacob11531 said:

I have read to never mess with eq settings on head unit and just leave them alone and only adjust amp.

For me, the head unit is the only place I like to adjust my settings. 

I like amplifiers that have only one job, amplify signal.