Sign in to follow this  
Tidbit96

? regarding Fuse totals in relation to RMS output of amplifier

I have always been told that a fairly good way of judging the output of an Amp just off 1st glance is to take the total amount of all the fuses & multiplying this by 10 will give you a rough estimate of the RMS output of said Amp? Is this a true statement by chance or have I been misled in some way? I ask because recently I had an Orion Cobalt CB2500.1D pushing my 1200RMS 15" Soundqubed sub but after roughly a yr it shot craps on me, stopped sounding good & after 10 or 15 minutes it would start kicking in & out of protection mode...I looked around for a new replacement but after seeing what the market had to offer me at my budget price I ended up getting another Cobalt I just jumped up to the 3500.1D which obviously would have a higher RMS rating. The pictures of the 3500.1 showed it having 4x40amp fuses which would be 160x10= 1600RMS which is what my 3500.1 is rated at according to the specs. But after receiving my 3500.1 I found it only has 3x40amp fuses which is only 120 which my 2500.1 had 4x30amp fuses which is ALSO 120?! I made sure I got the right Amp immediately & of course it is the 3500.1.... so can anyone help me out with this? Does this mean I basically got the same 2500.1 just the logos on the Amp are phony? Or have I just been mistaken by the quick solvable math equation I've been using all this time to get a rough estimate of output? I'm including pictures of the differences of each amp too so you can see what I mean also notice how much larger the 2500.1 is then the 3500.1 & they aren't more than 1 to 1&1/2 years difference between there manufactured dates.... thanks for any input or info y'all can help me out with!

I have always been told that a fairly good way of judging the output of an Amp just off 1st glance is to take the total amount of all the fuses & multiplying this by 10 will give you a rough estimate of the RMS output of said Amp? Is this a true statement by chance or have I been misled in some way? I ask because recently I had an Orion Cobalt CB2500.1D pushing my 1200RMS 15" Soundqubed sub but after roughly a yr it shot craps on me, stopped sounding good & after 10 or 15 minutes it would start kicking in & out of protection mode...I looked around for a new replacement but after seeing what the market had to offer me at my budget price I ended up getting another Cobalt I just jumped up to the 3500.1D which obviously would have a higher RMS rating. The pictures of the 3500.1 showed it having 4x40amp fuses which would be 160x10= 1600RMS which is what my 3500.1 is rated at according to the specs. But after receiving my 3500.1 I found it only has 3x40amp fuses which is only 120 which my 2500.1 had 4x30amp fuses which is ALSO 120?! I made sure I got the right Amp immediately & of course it is the 3500.1.... so can anyone help me out with this? Does this mean I basically got the same 2500.1 just the logos on the Amp are phony? Or have I just been mistaken by the quick solvable math equation I've been using all this time to get a rough estimate of output? I'm including pictures of the differences of each amp too so you can see what I mean also notice how much larger the 2500.1 is then the 3500.1 & they aren't more than 1 to 1&1/2 years difference between there manufactured dates.... thanks for any input or info y'all can help me out with!

Sry guys my phone keeps Fu¢|<in up so I accidentally posted this twice while trying to add my pictures but apparently I am too stupid to figure out how to add pictures lol but for an example I measured the 2 amps & the width is the same but the 2500.1 is nearly 2" longer & feels significantly heavier than the 3500.1.... but I just wanted to let you know why I posted twice & that it's the same reason I was unable to add the pics I mentioned. Thanks again for any input on this shitty situation I've found myself in again

Power is equal to current multiplied by voltage. So 120 amps x 12-14 volts= 1440-1680 watts rms. Also, I do not see any pictures attached.

3 hours ago, S.DeYoung said:

Power is equal to current multiplied by voltage. So 120 amps x 12-14 volts= 1440-1680 watts rms. Also, I do not see any pictures attached.

Yeah sry my phone kept messing up & wouldn't let me add any I tried like heck but it just kept messing up! But thanks for the reply... but in regards to these Amps, as I mentioned both the 2500.1D and my new 3500.1D have the same 120amp total? So am I right in saying that this means there both basically the same wattage producing amplifiers? Regardless of the fact one is a 2500.1D & the other is a 3500.1D & regardless of the fact that manufacturers spec's say one is rated 1250RMS@1OHM & The other is rated 1650RMD@1OHM? or are there other factors involved that might make these differences in manufacturers spec's actually possible &/or True specs?