Ok friends, my LG V20 is past the point of needing replacement, but I have not hit the upgrade point yet.  It is coming in a couple of months, so I want to do the research now, or be on the look out for what might be coming out.  Due to SSA business, I have to use my phone all day long, so I need something durable, a good size screen to take care of emails and messages on the go, and something with decent battery life.  I always hold out to the upgrade point as I cannot spend the extra money before the time period is up.

Recent history:

• Samsung Galaxy (forget the model number).  Had serious issues with battery life for the last year, replaced the battery, very glitchy and slow towards the end.
  • Samsung Galaxy S5, same battery issues, replaced it twice to do expansion, nice processor, memory issues towards the end.  Back plate split due to battery expansion, ran very hot.
  • LG V20, same battery issues, great screen, so-so processor, decent features, 24bit D/A is nice, replaced battery twice, now the issue is the batteries are not charging fast enough to have anything running or have the phone off the charger longer than a few minutes.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

What company do you have service through? Budget?

This

IMG_20181101_181336.jpg

4 hours ago, S.DeYoung said:

What company do you have service through? Budget?

Verizon, open budget at the moment.

1 hour ago, nem said:

This

IMG_20181101_181336.jpg

Sadly, that probably still works and works very well.  I should unearth my old Nokia's, and just run with them.

I can mail it to you.

I broke down last year and went iPhone 8, to be compatible with the family and to use Apple CarPlay in my truck.

2 hours ago, ludeman said:

I broke down last year and went iPhone 8, to be compatible with the family and to use Apple CarPlay in my truck.

Interesting, I find CarPlay really annoying compared to Android Auto.  As for recommendations, not sure yet myself but I expect to buy around Black Friday.  Plan to look at LG G7, Pixel 3, OnePlus 6T, Samsung Note 9, Huawei P20 Pro.  Scared of the longevity on the P20, really hate the Samsung bloat ware, which narrows that down perhaps.  Pocket and hand feel weigh heavily for me.

I can honestly say I’ve never owned a cell phone. My job has always provided me one. Some good, some sucked. Got an iPhone 6s at the moment. 

Any experience with the Pixel?  Or Red Hydrogen?

The iPhone X has been good to me. The size is perfect. I spent a lot of my time on the phone answering emails, messages and text. And of course PR’ing on social media. Have yet to have a glitch or problem and the battery stays charged. :)

I have the pixel 2 xl. Not sure I use mine like you do. Mostly socal media and watching TV on it.

13 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

The iPhone X has been good to me. The size is perfect. I spent a lot of my time on the phone answering emails, messages and text. And of course PR’ing on social media. Have yet to have a glitch or problem and the battery stays charged. :)

I had an iPhone for a while, it was trusty for sure.

45 minutes ago, nem said:

I have the pixel 2 xl. Not sure I use mine like you do. Mostly socal media and watching TV on it.

I am considering the Pixel due to being so Google friendly.

I love my Note 8.  Note 9 or S9 would be my go to recommendation but doesn't sound like you've had luck with Samsung.  

Some time this week I will have time to check out the new Huawei.  Played with the last generation and really like it.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:42 AM, nem said:

This is what I would recommend for you Aaron. 

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Some time this week I will have time to check out the new Huawei.  Played with the last generation and really like it.

Ok thank you for the heads up.

1 hour ago, S.DeYoung said:

This is what I would recommend for you Aaron. 

Haha, I don't watch TV on my phone, but hammer away constantly on emails and messages and posting social media.

After holding all the devices, my suggestion is a bit oblique.   Shop for a case, figure out how that works with the remaining choices.

Samsung I think completely missed the boat here.  The sloped glass doesn't fit for shit in a minimalist case and I want the lightest, smallest thing possible with the biggest screen possible.  Sucks as I really think I was going to go with the Note 9 until this.

All that said, if the Huawei was available here, I'd have it.  Not sure I want an ebay special of a chinese phone though.

The LG's and OnePlus seem to have the most logical pricing scheme.  The rest are getting absurd.

I'm gonna have to second S.Deyoung's suggestion! Lol. That's tough man!

Dude I got the LG V30+ and it's a tough bitch. I will say go on and so the other box because it's slim as f and it'll find a way out of your hand daily just because of it's narrow profile. But as far as good working phone's go I gotta say that it works well and and it's not as much of a p.o.s. as I thought it might end up. But I also bought it six months ago so by now the v60++ is likely out and way more up to date. But for real I am not in any way dissatisfied. And I picked it over the Samsung that was new at the time. Good luck man!

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

After holding all the devices, my suggestion is a bit oblique.   Shop for a case, figure out how that works with the remaining choices.

Samsung I think completely missed the boat here.  The sloped glass doesn't fit for shit in a minimalist case and I want the lightest, smallest thing possible with the biggest screen possible.  Sucks as I really think I was going to go with the Note 9 until this.

All that said, if the Huawei was available here, I'd have it.  Not sure I want an ebay special of a chinese phone though.

That is a shame, as even after all the issues with my Galaxy5, I was considering the Note to succeed the V20.  I assumed it had enough case options due to it being Samsung.  I am sure the options for the Pixel might be limited.  I need to check that one out in person before I make the jump to Google knowing every living second of my life.

3 hours ago, ATX.WeenR said:

I'm gonna have to second S.Deyoung's suggestion! Lol. That's tough man!

Dude I got the LG V30+ and it's a tough bitch. I will say go on and so the other box because it's slim as f and it'll find a way out of your hand daily just because of it's narrow profile. But as far as good working phone's go I gotta say that it works well and and it's not as much of a p.o.s. as I thought it might end up. But I also bought it six months ago so by now the v60++ is likely out and way more up to date. But for real I am not in any way dissatisfied. And I picked it over the Samsung that was new at the time. Good luck man!

Sean never steers me wrong, except occasionally in Fantasy Football. ;) 

I assume Motorola is off the listing due to their extended recent history and being behind on tech?