Ceez9090

4 8s compared to a single 15.

I was wondering if anyone had any input on this matter 

So I have a single 15" xcon that I can barely fit into my trunk, it's a 2005 grand prix. I've built two boxes for it and both of them will not fit smooth in the trunk. Meaning I tried to get the optimal box volume for the sub and it wouldn't fit unless I put the top plate on after it was in the trunk. Not a good idea when trying to remove it. So I was thinking of maybe trying 4 8 inch subs. I just wanted to hear if any one had any thoughts of the output comparison. Will the output be somewhat close to the 15, will it have a completely different sound. I've never heard 4 8s so I have no idea how it will sound 

I'd rather run the 15...but your space is your space.  That being said, I'd determine exactly what that space is and then shop.  Until you know that it is hard to really help.

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I'd rather run the 15...but your space is your space.  That being said, I'd determine exactly what that space is and then shop.  Until you know that it is hard to really help.

Hey thanks for replying I know my max dimensions: 16" high 36.5" wide and 21" deep. The box that I just pulled out was 16"x36.5x22, and I was barely able to wiggle it out. I just figured I could fit 4 8s in a box that would be more easily able to fit. But ain't sure of what kind of output I'll get. What is your reasoning for the 15? Better sound, deeper bass, is there any pros or cons to either setup? 

Personally, I would go with a single 12. Stay wit SSA of course.

Just Saying

Least cost options are to try 3 new enclosures with your current 15" Xcon: infinite baffle which will give you more trunk room back, a smaller than optimal ported enclosure or a sealed enclosure.

Just some ideas before buying new equipment.

Don't feel pressured to stick with my suggested optimal box specs.  You can go smaller if you like, but how much smaller is what we need to find out.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll go with what most have stated and try a smaller box for the 15. Here's what I ended up doing for the meantime haha.

20181105_085645.jpg

20181105_085645.jpg

Back seat driver!!!! ;)

Been there.  Love the XCON.  I have an 18...still my favorite sub-woofer I've ever owned.

Yeah sub is definitely a beast. My electrical isn't that great so right now I have a hifonics brz2400.1 going to it. But I had a crescendo BC3500.1 going to it for a while before I started having a bit of electrical warnings. Both wired at 1 ohm. 

Not of the best sound quality set up's I have had, included an Icon 18 sealed in a Mazda hatch.  The massive cone area meant very little was needed from the sub to produce the balanced output with the rest of the system.  So when the sub is under less strain and not working as hard, but still seeing plenty of power, it usually will yield the best results.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, Ceez9090 said:

Hey thanks for replying I know my max dimensions: 16" high 36.5" wide and 21" deep. The box that I just pulled out was 16"x36.5x22, and I was barely able to wiggle it out. I just figured I could fit 4 8s in a box that would be more easily able to fit. But ain't sure of what kind of output I'll get. What is your reasoning for the 15? Better sound, deeper bass, is there any pros or cons to either setup? 

The difference between what you have and what you list as max dimensions is only 0.3379 cubic ft. (This calculation is before accounting for wall thickness, and port/driver displacement)

Have you tried designing an enclosure with those dimensions to see what the net difference would be after? 

I would try an enclosure built to you max useable dimensions before throwing money at new equipment. A sheet of mdf is much cheaper...

Edited by nigel

On 11/5/2018 at 7:16 AM, Aaron Clinton said:

Don't feel pressured to stick with my suggested optimal box specs.  You can go smaller if you like, but how much smaller is what we need to find out.

So what would you say will be about the smallest I should go for the enclosure. I was thinking I could go 16×36×19 and maybe get around 3-3.3ft3. 

You can squeeze down to 3.1 cubes before its too small.

So I ended up going a different route, and went with 2 15's haha. 

Built the box in two parts so it could fit in the trunk more easily. 

20181220_091044.jpg

Looking good so far.

:woot:

Well that escalated quickly, looks badass man

1 hour ago, jcarter1885 said:

:woot:

Well that escalated quickly, looks badass man

Haha thanks man. Some day I would like to get it metered see what kind of numbers it does. 

I like the way this guy thinks!